Date: 29-03-24  Time: 01:28 am

Author Topic: Centre Stand Refurb  (Read 1291 times)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Centre Stand Refurb
« on: 28 September 2019, 01:56:47 pm »
Hi All,

I've had a replacement centre stand on my work bench for over a year now and today I finally went out, bought a spinney wire brush thing for my drill and got to it.  I now have a mostly shiny centre stand.

So, what do I do now?  I've never done anything like this before.  My questions are:

There are a couple of spots of surface rust, where I can't get to them.  Shall I  just cure rust those?

What primer should I use?  I'm guessing a rattle can, but what metal is the stand and do I need a certain type?

Thoughts on top coat?  Just black metal paint?

I'm guessing I don't want to spray too much paint around the mounting holes, or it won't swing up and down when on, correct?  So do I  just do a lite coat there?

The rubber bung thing that sits against the exhaust, leave in place and mask as best as possible or cut off and replace?

Sorry, prob  some silly  and over thought questions, I know, but, cheers as always.

Harry
« Last Edit: 28 September 2019, 02:31:24 pm by BBROWN1664 »
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Centre Stand Refurb
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2019, 02:39:03 pm »
I would cure the rust then hand paint or spray (as it's not seen I prefer to hand paint for thicker coverage) with a metal paint i.e hammerite smooth black gloss or satin, no primer required.

Lighter coat around mounting holes if it's gonna cause a problem & mask the rubber stopper.
« Last Edit: 28 September 2019, 02:46:42 pm by bandit »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2019, 08:56:16 pm »

I bought a cheap Dremel knock-off which came with all manner of cutting, grinding and rasping tools. The tiniest burr is great for getting into the tight corners.
If you can’t lever the rubber bung out you can cut it then drill a hole through both bits and secure it with a suitable nut and bolt.
And another vote for Hammerite Smooth applied by brush… apparently sticks better to rust that hasn’t been treated (so long as the loose stuff has been removed).
« Last Edit: 01 October 2019, 01:10:37 pm by Fazerider »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2019, 09:36:55 am »

You'll do well to get away with just one coat of brushing Hammerite on bare metal.

Perhaps it's my technique, but I always seem to have difficulty getting the second coat to spread sufficiently without over-applying.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2019, 11:25:25 am »
  To be honest you may be as well to take it to a local powder coating company, they'll probably only charge about 15 or 20 quid and it'll be far more durable.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2019, 12:14:57 pm »
That's what I did, vinnyb. It cost me £20.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2019, 06:30:34 am »
That looks pukka, sadly, I had to get it all done and dusted by the end of the weekend (ready to give to the garage for fitting this week) so I wasn't able to do the powder coating thing.  Bit gutted, but I'll remember that for next time.

Just out of interest, what state did you give it to them before the work?  Did they strip it back, too?

Cheers for the advice, Hammerrite has worked a trick.  :thumbup
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 October 2019, 11:54:20 am »
Hi HarryHornby. The stand was well used and had some corrosion. The company stripped it back and did the job that you see. I arrived early to pick it up and had to wait as it was hanging up to cool down after the curing process. Glad that you have sorted yours out.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 October 2019, 06:11:23 pm »
Here is the link to my refurb including a rubber stopper fix (i ripped mine off with the wire bench grinder ).http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,20049.msg231622.html#msg231622
Mine is still starting to rust so would I have to agree to powder coating - especially as they also do all the cleaning and de rusting.     
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.