• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Gas Gas EC300
    • View Profile
    • Dirtcadets.com
Helmet
« on: 04 February 2013, 07:39:47 am »
In the imminent arrival of my first Fazer 1000 this week, I dusted the leathers off, and cleaned my helmet, (not my cock). Shes a bit dated now, and perhaps its time for a new one..Now you hear different reports saying today cheaper helmets are just as good as the expensive ones, so has anyone got any good recommendations for a decent but affordable lid.
Don't bullshit me, and I wont bullshit you.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
Re: Helmet
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2013, 07:56:29 am »
It's up to you how much you spend but don't forget you only get one head, I've always spent a bit more to get into the mid range for peace of mind. I personally look for features I want such as British Motorcycle Sport approval, carbon fibre shell, sun visor, removable liner and DD fastener, this normally dictates the price range and fit dictates the brand/style.

Now's a good time to look though cos the new models are coming out for the new season so you might pick up a bargin.
thou shalt not kick

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 04 February 2013, 08:11:18 am by Exupnut »
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2013, 08:48:44 am »
I got myself a Reevu summer 2011 after years of using Arai. For me its been a fantastic helmet, more room around my face, good vision and quieter than my previous Arai plus it has the benefit of the rear view system (it takes about 500 miles to get used to). You also get the choice of replacement crown and cheek pads to achieve a custom fit (one extra set free of charge).

I got mine from here [size=78%]http://www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk/cms/index.php/our-products[/size] Nooj is/was a fellow foccer and gave me discount, worth asking if you are interested[size=78%] [/size]

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2013, 10:02:50 am »
Do as the rest of us do, trip to the bike shop, try on all the ones you fancy take note of the size and price, then go on the internet and find the same helmet at a cheaper price.
Look out for helmets no longer in production, I bought a brand new Schuberth R1 for less than £200 off ebay.
It's a good helmet for that type of money, only real issue I have with it is the paintwork isn't up to much, had I paid £300+ I'd have been asking for my money back.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2013, 10:12:02 am »
Mick, we don't all do that, you're killing the small shops (and even Hein gericke) , and before long they won't exist. You'll be forced to buy online and guess at the size (with the hassle of sending it back if wrong) and you'll lose the benefit of the salesman's knowledge on fit etc.

Support your local shops, don't take the piss out of them.

And yes, I do shop online - but only when I can't get easily locally.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

The Rocketeer

• Pacman
    Cymru am byth
    Askin' for a foccin' bannin too
    Really geeky & crap
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ROCKET 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2013, 11:13:35 am »
+1, that's a poor show, takes the piss out of your local shops, you'll be sorry when they've all gone  :thumbdown
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2013, 11:17:56 am »
Mick, we don't all do that, you're killing the small shops (and even Hein gericke) , and before long they won't exist. You'll be forced to buy online and guess at the size (with the hassle of sending it back if wrong) and you'll lose the benefit of the salesman's knowledge on fit etc.

+1

One of the shops I get my gear from is independent and run by a top bloke, he didn't stock the helmet I was after so ordered it in specially and matched the online price. When I had a problem with the visor antifog peeling off he sorted a replacement out without taking mine beforehand so I could carry on riding.
thou shalt not kick

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2013, 11:20:48 am »
Aye, that's another thing you're less likely to get from an online supplier, service like that - get him named, give him the credit where it's due. We shout quick enough when we're pissed off with something, but not quick enough to give praise where due :thumbup

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2013, 11:51:21 am »
Good point, Speedsport in Hull.

IntoGear in Hull is another shop I've had good service with. I took a pair of Frank Thomas boots back within the warranty period but after the FT went under and I was very shocked he replaced them, I was only expecting a discount on another pair at the most.
thou shalt not kick

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2013, 01:20:03 pm »

This I agree with 100%, only problem for me is the nearest 'bike shop' is 50 miles away from me so if its not clothing or helmets I do shop online as its a long way to go for chain lube etc.
On the helmet front, I am going to buy one at the Scottish bike show ( shoei ).

HJC are good value for money
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 February 2013, 02:53:44 pm »
Don't get me wrong I'm all for supporting my local bike shop, which by the way is called Bolton Motorcycle Workshop, you'd only have to ask Russ the owner and he'll confirm that I spend more than my fair share with him all of it on parts and labour as he doesn't sell clothing or helmets,
What I don't like is to be ripped off, helmet in the shop £350 helmet on ebay £200 sorry but I just can't afford to buy from the shop, if the shop was selling at £225 no problems I'd by from them every time.
Everyone that's mentioned support your local bike shop, does that still go when buying a bike when the price difference is over £1500 for the exact same bike and they won't move on their price even though you've been a customer for the best part of 30 years and it means that they wont get the sale but they still want you to get the bike serviced with them.
Loyalty works both ways.

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 February 2013, 03:11:37 pm »

Hein Gericke, that's another story, used to spend quite a bit with them in the past, always bought gloves, boots, cleaning materials from them.
Went in one day £350+  for jacket and gloves, salesman over the moon especially as I'd already said that I'd be back for boots,  not to happy when asking him for a refund on the gloves two days later after the so called winter gloves had been of no use whatsoever, "you mustn't have put them on right" being his initial response.
Anyway not my thread so best not to go on,
Basically if your local shop is competitive by all means buy from them. :)   

Tourx4

• DAS Born Again
  • Me and my fazer misbehaving on the roads of life!!
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - cg125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 February 2013, 04:20:03 pm »
With helmets it's all about fit, what might suite one person will not suite someone else. I personaly can only wear arai as i have a tiny xs head and none of the good makes fit, most leave a red line or give me a horrible headache. My advice is go to a good dealer and get fitted up properly but try to buy the best you can afford but if there's a sale on the model that fits you then be crafty and go for it!!! :D :D

My and my beloved fazer misbehaving on the roads of life!!!!

Tourx4

• DAS Born Again
  • Me and my fazer misbehaving on the roads of life!!
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - cg125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 February 2013, 07:28:51 pm »
@Exupnut my helmet's famous!!!!!
My and my beloved fazer misbehaving on the roads of life!!!!

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 February 2013, 07:41:38 pm »
@+1 tourx. @why@do@u@put@before@everyones@forum@moniker@?

@L@O@L@
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

bigsteve

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM850 FZS600SP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 February 2013, 07:42:35 pm »

I agree with you torx4 
   it is all about fit go get one fitted properly

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 February 2013, 09:02:48 pm »
@+1 tourx. @why@do@u@put@before@everyones@forum@moniker@?

@L@O@L@

@Exupnut reads as "at Exupnut" - its denoting that the following text is aimed solely at a particular person rather than the general conversation :)

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 February 2013, 09:05:55 pm »
@deadeye...i was taking the piss u @douche :lol

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 February 2013, 09:20:15 pm »
One word. Gloves.

I rest my case :D

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 February 2013, 09:38:21 pm »
 :lol will i ever live that one down...... :wall  or christo's keys  :lmao2  u forgot that one didn't ya. ps learn some bloody chords and get ur nails cut
sorry for the :hijack

Tilts

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Gas Gas EC300
    • View Profile
    • Dirtcadets.com
« Reply #21 on: 04 February 2013, 09:55:30 pm »
Thanks for the interesting comments :) , i think your man is right about the going in to a shop a finding one that fits right, im fortunate enough to only live 15 miles from M&P, can normally get a good deal in there to..
Don't bullshit me, and I wont bullshit you.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 February 2013, 07:23:55 am »
melon head = shoei      peanut head (like mine)=arai     pisshead (no money) = takachi   :D   

whichever lid u choose u want a comfortable feel without being able to turn the lid when its strapped on yer bonce, ratchet clasp is ok and d-ring u will get used to quickly. when u do the strap up u need to be able to get one finger under strap, then keeping ur bonce still try an turn the lid. if ur ead move with the lid then a good fit, if the lid moves only then to big. also get one that is a complete mould, ie  not a shit lid with join down the centre.

let us know which one u get,    piccy piccy

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #23 on: 05 February 2013, 08:21:20 am »
melon head = shoei      peanut head (like mine)=arai     pisshead (no money) = takachi   :D   

whichever lid u choose u want a comfortable feel without being able to turn the lid when its strapped on yer bonce, ratchet clasp is ok and d-ring u will get used to quickly. when u do the strap up u need to be able to get one finger under strap, then keeping ur bonce still try an turn the lid. if ur ead move with the lid then a good fit, if the lid moves only then to big. also get one that is a complete mould, ie  not a shit lid with join down the centre.

let us know which one u get,    piccy piccy

not totally in agreement with this..I have peanut head XS used to have arai quantum e xs but now have shoei xsprirtII xs felt alot snuger when trying them on. but yes tried about 15 different helmets on to make sure i got one that i was comfortable with.

IMHO i buy the best I can afford as said at begining of thread only ever been issued 1 head & they haven't worked out how to make replacements heads that work as well as arm legs etc
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 February 2013, 08:26:58 am »

So that makes me a skint melon  :eek
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!