Date: 18-04-24  Time: 18:28 pm

Author Topic: Oil residue on re-built forks  (Read 794 times)

redsed

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Oil residue on re-built forks
« on: 27 August 2019, 08:33:34 pm »

Hi all, quick question for the group, I have just rebuilt my forks, new seals / dust covers fitted and new top bush too, new oil and re-fitted to the bike (2002 FZS). They feel a lot better and I have done a couple of 40 milers since the re-build but am now noticing some very light oil residue on the stanchions and lines of oil at the top end of the fork travel. I had expected the high tide marks but not the very thin coating on the stanchions? My XJR stanchions are bone dry. Any tips / advice? I am learning the ropes so to speak at motorcycle maintenance so it is very possible that I could have done something wrong [font=&amp][/font]
[font=&amp] its usually my fault  (photos taken but were not showing the fault very good, so did not upload them)

TIA

Redsed
[/font]
[font=&amp][/font]

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Oil residue on re-built forks
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2019, 11:48:39 pm »
Was there any pitting on the fork stanchions? It there was it could have damaged the new seal. Did you fill the oil to the correct level? Did you use Yamaha seals or aftermarket ones? Aftermarket seals can be a bit hit and miss and not seal properly.

It would be unusual to happen on new seals but sometimes a seal leaks because a bit of dirt gets trapped between the seal and the stanchion. I used a sheet of printer paper rolled tight around the stanchion and then pushed the paper past the seal to remove some dirt and it stopped the leak. That was on an old seal but it might be worth a try. The alternative is buy another set of seals and do the job again. I'd recommend Yamaha seals.

redsed

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2019, 03:53:34 pm »

Thanks for the reply,

There is a little pitting on the stanchion but it is really high up way above where the seal runs to. They were aftermarket seals but seemed very good quality as they were fitted. I have left the bike stood for a couple of days and just gone back to investigate. There was a bead of oil on top of the dust seal, and also on the stanchion but when I have lifted the dust seals up, there is no evidence of oil above the seal / retaining clip which I would have expected. I will use the printer paper trick and ride it a little and see if it gets worse or clears up. Worst case I will have to do it again.

Cheers :'(

redsed

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2019, 09:41:30 pm »

The seals I used were AKA, said they were Japanese OEM. How do you guys rate them? I have lifted the dust seals and wiped the seal underneath and used a seal cleaning tool that came with the seals ( really good tool ) to get around the inside edge of the seal and been for a 20 mile ride, they seem ok. Wait and see now.

Redsed  :rolleyes

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2019, 12:13:38 pm »
If they're Japanese they will be good quality. Never heard of seals coming with a cleaning tool. That's a nice extra.