Date: 25-04-24  Time: 19:07 pm

Author Topic: Moto GP  (Read 2227 times)

Bitfik

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Moto GP
« on: 13 July 2013, 05:38:24 pm »
I have been wondering for a while... These guys hang their legs off on braking. Now I understand that they do it  to change the balance of the bike as much or more than the "air brake" effect. But on right handers with the right leg hanging how do they, or indeed do they use the rear brake?

Is it hand operated? Is a balance shift more than enough to compensate for not using it at all?

Thoughts and ideas appreciated!

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Moto GP
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2013, 05:55:33 pm »
They won't be using it at all mate. Most racers don't use it when braking hard in a straight line, as literally all of the weight is right at the front of the bike - using the rear just unsettles it. They use it in the wet though, and for certain will use it occasionally going around a corner to tighten their line, or keep the rear from spinning up from under acceleration!
I use mine on my Fazer 6 and did on the 1000, but the Ninja 9 I had before that I didn't bother - apart from low speed manouvering where it was useful it was pretty much redundant, as under hard braking on that with the aftermarket 6 pot Nissin calipers I had the rear was barely ever on the floor!

gassitt

• Local user
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Got lots of others
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2013, 07:44:26 pm »
Most racers now use a thumb operated rear brake ,mostly just to settle the bike

It was first used by Doohan after his fucked up leg didn't have enough movement to use a foot operated pedal

Bitfik

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2013, 10:23:53 am »
Interesting, thanks guys.

On a separate note GO CAL! Surely only a matter of time before he is on the top step!

Bradley Smith and Michael Laverty doing a great job too!

* Crash.Net racing newsfeeds

MotoGP

World Superbikes

British Superbikes

RSS to JavaScript