Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:53 pm

Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 3195 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Headlights
« Reply #25 on: 23 May 2020, 09:25:49 am »
I dont ride at night but I am lucky that I dont have to but one of my first mods 18 years ago was to do the both lights on mod but even that I have an inline fuse that I pop out for the mot.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 May 2020, 09:28:57 am »
I hope you've adjusted your high beam (H4) reflector then as you'll be dazzling on coming traffic and getting flashed a lot ;)
Later

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 May 2020, 09:58:14 am »
I hope you've adjusted your high beam (H4) reflector then as you'll be dazzling on coming traffic and getting flashed a lot ;)
Nope and dont get flashed. Maybe because most of my riding is in at least bright daylight if not sun. Or maybe I have adjusted it and have forgot.
Also it's a boxeye remember so its crap anyway.

« Last Edit: 23 May 2020, 10:01:05 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2020, 10:12:21 am »
Nope and dont get flashed. Maybe because most of my riding is in at least bright daylight if not sun. Or maybe I have adjusted it and have forgot.
Also it's a boxeye remember so its crap anyway.

Matters not they're crap, they still dazzle.  Chances are your just lucky or it's not adjusted correctly as you don't ride at night so you wouldn't notice.  Many are as the instructions in the Haynes manual on how to is wrong!  Many owners fall into the trap.
[size=78%]   [/size]
Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 May 2020, 02:47:55 pm »
One of my pet hates is when you get cars coming towards you with misaligned headlights so one or more lights instantly blind you. Occasionally get them behind you as well so they blind you with your own mirrors.  :grumble 
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2020, 05:08:51 pm »
One of my pet hates is when you get cars coming towards you with misaligned headlights so one or more lights instantly blind you. Occasionally get them behind you as well so they blind you with your own mirrors.  :grumble

Also foccin wankers on two wheels riding with their main beam on during the day thinking 'well, at least they can see me' while everyone coming towards them is foccin blinded. It seems to have become something of a trend.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 May 2020, 06:07:35 pm »

Also foccin wankers on two wheels riding with their main beam on during the day thinking 'well, at least they can see me' while everyone coming towards them is foccin blinded. It seems to have become something of a trend.

I don't think it's anything new, the difference is that newer bikes and scooters do have very decent lights so they really don't need them on full beam at all.
Probably more likely to be the less experienced scooter riders actually.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2020, 06:09:10 pm by darrsi »

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 May 2020, 06:26:58 pm »

I don't think it's anything new, the difference is that newer bikes and scooters do have very decent lights so they really don't need them on full beam at all.
Probably more likely to be the less experienced scooter riders actually.

I've noticed it more on sportsbikes and the big trailies more to be honest. Maybe it's because they only have one light running on dipped beam and feel the need to have both on. What ever the reason it's bloody annoying and dangerous.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 May 2020, 07:01:02 pm »
Much of it is cheap non adjustable LED's that can't be set to match the reflector and/or wrongly fitted bulbs, you'd be amazed at how many are fitted wrongly.   Same with cars ever since Halfords have been fitting bulbs :\ :rolleyes   
Later

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 May 2020, 10:00:01 pm »

Just to add a wee bit. There was a post from His Dudeness in January - ignition switch circuit - which had a wiring diagram for headlight upgrade using 2 relays to convert to using 2, H4 bulbs. The wiring diagram was supplied by limax2, and is easy to follow, even me :)
The only thing to think about is making a holder to convert H1 side to H4. I used the rubber boot from behind headlight to make a ring using fibre glass resin. Then using Dremel ,cut in a H4 bulb shape into hard resin. You can get a spring clip from Halfords to then hold a H4 bulb.  Then enlarged the H1 hole in headlight to accept the H4 bulb. I used more resin to hold my new holder to rear of reflector.
In the post it says "lights are 10 times better" , I would say more than 10 , even with standard H4 Bulbs. I have spots on my bike too. Since doing this to headlight I have only used the spots when it gets foggy :) .
I also done away with that silly side light bulb and put in two LED 501 bulbs from Halfords. Ive attached a couple of pics. Hope they work.
With the wiring diagram from limax2 it makes this job a lot easier, and gives the Fazer headlights that work. I do quite a lot of night riding and this makes it a lot more enjoyable .

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 May 2020, 07:57:52 am »

Just to add a wee bit. There was a post from His Dudeness in January - ignition switch circuit - which had a wiring diagram for headlight upgrade using 2 relays to convert to using 2, H4 bulbs. The wiring diagram was supplied by limax2, and is easy to follow, even me :)
The only thing to think about is making a holder to convert H1 side to H4. I used the rubber boot from behind headlight to make a ring using fibre glass resin. Then using Dremel ,cut in a H4 bulb shape into hard resin. You can get a spring clip from Halfords to then hold a H4 bulb.  Then enlarged the H1 hole in headlight to accept the H4 bulb. I used more resin to hold my new holder to rear of reflector.
In the post it says "lights are 10 times better" , I would say more than 10 , even with standard H4 Bulbs. I have spots on my bike too. Since doing this to headlight I have only used the spots when it gets foggy :) .
I also done away with that silly side light bulb and put in two LED 501 bulbs from Halfords. Ive attached a couple of pics. Hope they work.
With the wiring diagram from limax2 it makes this job a lot easier, and gives the Fazer headlights that work. I do quite a lot of night riding and this makes it a lot more enjoyable .

Can you not add photos of your H4 mod at the rear of the light? It all sounds great but pictures would be much more helpful.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 May 2020, 09:21:35 am »
The bulb type will make little real difference to the pattern/spread you get on the road at distance, as this is determined by the reflector.  The reflector is matched to the bulb, the position of the filament or point where the light is made is crucial just a few mm out and you lose the pattern/spread.  This is one reason we are seeing a lot of dazzling.  H7s can quite easily not be seated correctly, which moves the filament position, the same applies to non adjustable LEDs fitted into reflector headlamps.  The light source is in the wrong position, yes you get more light by looking at them but it's not concentrated into the correct pattern/spread. 

A H4 bulb in a H1 reflector might work ish on low beam, but not on high as the filament position will move and the reflector is set for a single filament, i.e. no movement.       
Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 May 2020, 01:47:53 pm »
The bulb type will make little real difference to the pattern/spread you get on the road at distance, as this is determined by the reflector.  The reflector is matched to the bulb, the position of the filament or point where the light is made is crucial just a few mm out and you lose the pattern/spread.  This is one reason we are seeing a lot of dazzling.  H7s can quite easily not be seated correctly, which moves the filament position, the same applies to non adjustable LEDs fitted into reflector headlamps.  The light source is in the wrong position, yes you get more light by looking at them but it's not concentrated into the correct pattern/spread. 

A H4 bulb in a H1 reflector might work ish on low beam, but not on high as the filament position will move and the reflector is set for a single filament, i.e. no movement.     

Good to know, cheers.

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24 May 2020, 07:24:39 pm »

Some pics to go with previous post H1 to H4, not the best but will give idea. I actually found the first resin ring which will help with the idea I had. I didn't use enough resin first time so it wasn't large enough.   The resin ring was made using the rubber boot from behind the headlight. I wont show photo of that. The relays I mounted behind crossbar behind main wiring. Some have put relays somewhere behind clocks but I found there was enough space here. I also ran new wires to headlights, just seemed easier to me. To attach spring I used small picture hook and part of the H1 fitting that I had to cut off to enlarge the hole for the H4 bulb.Then along with wiring diagram , job done. And most important part , I got LIGHTS :rolleyes :rolleyes .
I was just going to go to scrap yard and find an old headlight with H4 fitting and cut it down to fit headlight. This would be a lot easier.

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 May 2020, 07:33:23 pm »
And I know this will be NOTICED , the last pic has went upside down :'( , oops. :lol . And just to finish this one of relays . So hope that gives you some idea of what I done. And with diagram as mentioned you get great headlights. Even with standard H4 bulbs. Oh and pass switch that works. And it will pass any MOT. You will have to adjust headlight beam but you will have to do that with any kind of headlight mod, and that dosent take long.