Date: 16-04-24  Time: 10:07 am

Author Topic: Buyers Guide?  (Read 1972 times)

Paul Kent

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Buyers Guide?
« on: 20 January 2014, 09:40:28 pm »
I couldnt find a specific buyers guide, bit late now any way  :rolleyes

But what are the main things to do, check on them?
On my old CCM I had to turn the fuel tap off pretty mych all the time as the fuel would drain down, does this model have that issue?

Secondly I'd like to install a 12v socket, is there a how to guide anywhere?
Also, wheres the best place for parts and accessories?
I'd like to get a belly pan, rear hugger, new levers, probably a few other bits once i have actually seen it !

Thanks

Craiginuk

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Buyers Guide?
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2014, 09:47:32 pm »
Hi Paul and welcome.  Not sure about the 12v socket. Am sure someone will be along with a suggestion.  Fuel tap is hidden under tank so is left alone. Should be no problems with fuel draining.

Looks like you're not far, i'm in sevenoaks so just shout if you need any help or anything looking at. By no means an expert but am on my third fzs600 now.

Cheers
Craig

Paul Kent

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2014, 09:56:41 pm »
Ah, someone local!
I'm sure our paths will cross ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2014, 08:13:52 am »
Front sprocket nut needs to be upgraded to 12mm from 9mm if not already done, quite an important mod as there have been quite a few bikes with issues in the past. If it's been done it'll be flush to the end of the thread like in the photo.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,9329.25.html

They can suffer from cam chain rattle as well (like a sewing machine noise).
I've had my cam chain replaced at 40,000 miles and it'll still rattle when cold on start up, but totally disappear when the oil is warmed up after about 5mins in cold weather. You'll know if it's worn or not 'cos the noise will drive you nuts after a while. Most people get it sorted, others on here have left it alone, but there's lots of info on here if you do a search.

If you have original black exhaust downpipes then they maybe worth checking for rust or holes, they're notorious for it.

Headlights aren't great, so check on here about the headlight mod, it's a must.
Well worth investing in a K&N air filter if it doesn't already have one, they're worth every penny (from Ebay)

Other than those few, they're pretty damn good as bikes go, so just slowly work your way through the obvious minor service stuff if you don't have any history and fire away with any questions on here,we're quite a helpful bunch of foccers.  :)

As for buying stuff, Wemoto, M&P, Busters, AJ Sutton, and obviously Ebay are the main places to buy from, and there's also a For Sale/Wanted section on here as well.

If you have a bike, put the year on your profile to make things easier for us to work out as there are differences between years, and give us a hint at mileage for technical questions.

http://foc-u.co.uk/?topic=34.0
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Paul Kent

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2014, 08:18:24 am »
That's very helpful. Thank you very much.
I will edit my profile when I'm home but FYI it's a 2000 model with 23k

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2014, 08:30:13 am »
I fitted a 12v cigarette socket about a month ago. Used a piggyback fuse thingie and this socket: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LURIM2/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Is this what you're looking for?

I haven't mounted the socket anywhere, it's just coiled under the seat. I've seen pics of people mounting on the fairing for sat nav devices but I didn't fancy making holes in mine.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2014, 08:32:56 am »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2014, 08:56:32 am »
That's very helpful. Thank you very much.
I will edit my profile when I'm home but FYI it's a 2000 model with 23k

Worth buying yourself a proper manual for the bike, but for now you can download one from here.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=22
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.