Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:03 am

Author Topic: Valve stem seals  (Read 1375 times)

Spykeeboi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX6R J1
    • View Profile
Valve stem seals
« on: 24 March 2020, 11:23:38 pm »
Hi guys ive got the cylinder head back from the engineers and while its off i want to completely strip it and clean up valves ect. Ive started removing the valves and ideally replace all the valve stem seals. How i remove these?? do they just push back out from the cylinder side?? do they even come out at all?? I would greatly appreciate any feedback/advise...Thanks Gaz

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Valve stem seals
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2020, 08:11:02 am »
Should just pull off & push new ones on, I would very lightly apply clean engine oil to valve stem & inside oil stem seal to ease fitting of the valve.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2020, 09:49:15 am »
Pull them off with a pliars , push on the new ones by hand, and as Bandit says, apply some engine oil to the seal inner and the top of the valve guide. Prior to pushing in the valve ensure the area of the valve where the collet locates is perfectly smooth and also the top of the stem. They can, but not always have burrs on them from use.

Spykeeboi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX6R J1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2020, 10:15:59 am »
Thanks lads much appreciated

Spykeeboi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX6R J1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2020, 11:29:08 pm »
Hi guys...right ive stripped it out as much as i can but im still unsure of what to pull out with pliers. I have some pics but not sure how to resize and upload them. Im not normally this careful but ive just payed to have the plug machined... Thanks Gaz

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2020, 06:43:46 am »
pictures would be a great help here,if you have removed the valve,collets and spring the seal will be next in line,simple push fit on/off , your not confusing seals with guides are you.....have a go at resizing the piccies and we can get you sorted  :thumbup
One, is never going to be enough.....

Spykeeboi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX6R J1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2020, 10:43:13 am »
pictures would be a great help here,if you have removed the valve,collets and spring the seal will be next in line,simple push fit on/off , your not confusing seals with guides are you.....have a go at resizing the piccies and we can get you sorted  :thumbup

Hi there im trying to do just that but im not too brill on computers.. could email you the image at all if cant upload it please??
Thanks Gaz

Spykeeboi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX6R J1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2020, 11:34:14 am »
Ok whilst looking at how to resize the image i was looking at the original image that is quite big being a camara phone and i can see the line where the seal sits on the stem...I presume i just pull the top up with as you said pliers....thanks for your help lads.
Gaz

Spykeeboi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX6R J1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2020, 12:17:51 pm »
Hi guys.... ive removed all the seals... Now apart from yamaha where is the best place to get these seals wemoto? ebay?.
Thanks Gaz

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2020, 12:32:24 pm »
wemoto are still trading, use them a lot without any problems,the way things are at the moment i would be surprised if you get them before we have beaten the virus...

wemoto....£2.68 each,   part number AA4423,   same part for exhaust and inlet valves
One, is never going to be enough.....

Spykeeboi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX6R J1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2020, 04:03:41 pm »
wemoto are still trading, use them a lot without any problems,the way things are at the moment i would be surprised if you get them before we have beaten the virus...

wemoto....£2.68 each,   part number AA4423,   same part for exhaust and inlet valves

Thanks Red98, Thats great and as i said im in no rush as im really going to clean up intake and exhaust ports.

Spykeeboi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX6R J1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2020, 11:32:36 pm »
Pull them off with a pliars , push on the new ones by hand, and as Bandit says, apply some engine oil to the seal inner and the top of the valve guide. Prior to pushing in the valve ensure the area of the valve where the collet locates is perfectly smooth and also the top of the stem. They can, but not always have burrs on them from use.

Ok so done a little bit of cleaning but while sealing the stems with blu-tac ( to stop crap going down them) I noticed on the very top (cam side) of the stem the exhaust side they are a bit sharp as you say may have burrs on. Intake are smooth...How do i smooth these out??.
Also rather than attack it with dremal my train of thought is hit all the crappy carboned up bits with wheel acid (wonder wheels) unless the are rubber seals inside the valve stems this shouldnt be a problem should it.
Thanks Gaz