Date: 16-04-24  Time: 06:18 am

Author Topic: Thought is was clutch but appeared to be electrics!  (Read 1313 times)

nitemare

• Cager in Training
  • Life's a Nightmare
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Life's a Nightmare
Thought is was clutch but appeared to be electrics!
« on: 29 August 2012, 07:41:16 pm »
On the 6th July I travelled from Norwich to Derby for a bike rally. Dispite going through soem floods and being diverted due to closed roads the bike coped.

Until I got to Nottingham and started a slow uphill crawl then the bike started to 'judder'. At first I thought it was the clutch getting hot and sticky but now I believe it was water getting into the sparks.

The odd thing is shortly have pushing the bike to somewhere safe off the main road and a mate riding it up a lane and back it was fine. I had no problems with the journey or since.

I can only assume that water on the top of the engine and the slow up hill shorted out a couple of cylinders. Eeven though it wasn't raining then!

Anyone else experienced this?

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity, especially when you're out riding.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Thought is was clutch but appeared to be electrics!
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2012, 07:54:50 pm »
Maybe sucked water into air filter and soaked the paper, that would choke it, and it would also dry out afterwards and behave normal??

Hard to really guess to be honest?  :rolleyes
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2012, 08:18:41 pm »
Are your flaps in the right position? That's not an impolite question, honest  ;)

There are 2 flaps that drop down from below the tank, meant to keep spray away from the plugs. They should sit on top of hte front cam cover (so bent forwards) and not drop down into the plug "cavity". If they are dropping straight down, they can cause shorting probs.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2012, 12:37:33 am »
Spray is one thing "..going through some floods.." is another!

If all is good now, i wouldn't really worry too much about it!  :)
« Last Edit: 30 August 2012, 07:29:48 am by darrsi »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2012, 09:16:44 am »
Are your flaps in the right position? That's not an impolite question, honest  ;)

There are 2 flaps that drop down from below the tank, meant to keep spray away from the plugs. They should sit on top of hte front cam cover (so bent forwards) and not drop down into the plug "cavity". If they are dropping straight down, they can cause shorting probs.
That isn't the way Yamaha show them fitted.
I reckon the thinking is with what they refer to as the air guide plate on top of the cam cover intercepted rain will spray around the sides onto the HT leads. With it tucked down the plug cavity it'll be delivered below the top of the plug caps into the lower part of the plug well where it finds its way to the drain holes.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2012, 11:04:31 am »
That's interesting, i never knew that!!
I've always had mine in the forward position as well, with the presumption that it keeps water away from the plugs.