Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:12 am

Author Topic: replacement exhaust choice for a newby  (Read 7210 times)

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
replacement exhaust choice for a newby
« on: 18 September 2017, 10:46:45 pm »
Sorry folks threads probably been done before but I want to change my exhaust on my gen 2, I want views and opinions on what to avoid and whats the dogs bollocks in terms of quality, sound ( se how I didn't put noise, sweet ) and price. whats the craic with the EXUP aswell, Take the piss im up for it, just a newbie wanting the gain some knoll. Also quick on planning on ACF 50 treatment guess before the gritters hit the roads any view and comments welcome ;)
« Last Edit: 18 September 2017, 10:49:51 pm by Nemesis »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: replacement exhaust choice for a newby
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2017, 11:21:43 pm »
Basically the shorter it is and bigger the hole the louder it will be. Don't be fooled by fancy names an end can is an end can. I've got an akra and it's just a hollow carbon tube, no different from the delkavic I had on a previous bike, just a lot more expensive.

Any end can will fit as long as the link pipe is the right size to attached to your downpipes but be aware that the bigger the bore, the more air is escaping the engine so if you go really extreme you may need a remap but if you buy one with road legal baffles then you should be fine as they usually make the hole a lot smaller.
The exup on the gen 2 is just an emissions thingy so no worries about losing it. Doesn't do a thing.

As for which ones to buy, really anything that's not a Chinese copy should be fine. Companies like black widow make nice but very loud exhaust. Ixil look very cool. Scorpion, akraprovic and yoshimura are the coveted golden boys but you'll pay big bucks.
Personally I'd type 'fz1 exhausts' into ebay and take a look at all the different types then just see what you like the look of. Anything is going to look and sound better than the standard one 👍

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2017, 12:04:01 am »
Thanks Dude for all the info appreciate it mate

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2017, 09:11:07 am »
Got a Scorpion on my 2008 on when I got the bike, runs sweet, sounds good no baffle in though, that's where all baffles should be kept in my toolbox. Fitted Fuel exhausts on most of  my previous bikes always found them decent quality, well made easy to fit, didn't upset the running, and sounded nice big plus you get free Kendal mint cake with every exhaust.   

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2017, 07:43:28 pm »
Ok got myself a akrapovic still to fit, can someone run thru the score with regards to the exup please. Thanks in advance

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2017, 08:33:03 pm »
Ok got myself a akrapovic still to fit, can someone run thru the score with regards to the exup please. Thanks in advance

Exup valve is built into end can on gen2 so when you remove the can you lose the exup, just remove the cables from the servo and leave servo in place. Job done :) .

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2017, 08:42:35 pm »
Cheers Slappy, didn't think it would be that simple :rolleyes , got another question for yer mate, remember Im a dumb newbie, will bike still pass emissions on mot? Appreciate all and any advice, thks

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2017, 09:10:12 pm »
Bikes don't have an emissions test for the mot
Intentionally left blank

RMT1983

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2017, 09:46:46 pm »
I've got the exup delete servo for sale, means you can get rid of the exup motors ad save space&weight ;-)

Pm me if interested

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 October 2017, 05:13:48 pm »
Thks RMT, I will do what slappy says first and see how it runs and how I find the ride, will service exup and store gear for reversing if I go that way. Thk again

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 November 2017, 08:24:05 pm »
Not tackled this yet, was wondering how much work is involved disconnecting cables from servo, access wise? And is anything need doing to complete this task. Also just looking at other interesting exup threads, is the exup the same on both gen 1 and 2? Appreciate all replies

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 November 2017, 09:19:09 pm »
Exup on gen1 is important for low down torque and if it is not set correctly makes quite a difference, on gen2 it is just to get past emission regulations and does not affect engine performance in any way.
When I removed the cables from mine I disconnected them at the exhaust first, removed the exhaust can, then disconnected them at servo, quite easy to do, only faff was pulling the cables through.

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 November 2017, 06:42:24 pm »
Cheers slappy

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 November 2017, 08:29:33 pm »
Basically the shorter it is and bigger the hole the louder it will be. Don't be fooled by fancy names an end can is an end can. I've got an akra and it's just a hollow carbon tube, no different from the delkavic I had on a previous bike, just a lot more expensive.

Any end can will fit as long as the link pipe is the right size to attached to your downpipes but be aware that the bigger the bore, the more air is escaping the engine so if you go really extreme you may need a remap but if you buy one with road legal baffles then you should be fine as they usually make the hole a lot smaller.
The exup on the gen 2 is just an emissions thingy so no worries about losing it. Doesn't do a thing.

As for which ones to buy, really anything that's not a Chinese copy should be fine. Companies like black widow make nice but very loud exhaust. Ixil look very cool. Scorpion, akraprovic and yoshimura are the coveted golden boys but you'll pay big bucks.
Personally I'd type 'fz1 exhausts' into ebay and take a look at all the different types then just see what you like the look of. Anything is going to look and sound better than the standard one 👍

:agree
A sensible voice from the crowd, Foc Yoshi and Akra!
As said, a stainless steel can is a stainless steel can, and the same goes for titanium or carbon just buy the design you want not the fancy costly name, if you can afford one with a popular badge on it all well and good ,but as said its a tube with a hole through it, save yourself a shed full of money and buy a set of braided brake lines with what you saved and a set of heated grips for the winter.
I bought a Pipewerxs can and am very pleased with it, Pipewerxs also make a slightly cheaper line but I damned if I can remember the name, about 15 to 20% cheaper but definitely no difference in quality.

Lots of Stainless Steel cans on eBay.   

If you want to make it look the dogs bollocks try one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YOSHIMURA-Racing-USA-Aluminium-Heat-Motorcycle-Exhaust-Can-Decal-Sticker-Emblem/263291990961?hash=item3d4d6cf3b1:g:rn4AAOSw9hdZ-hRN

Stick one of the Yoshimura badges on it and your mates will be envious.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 November 2017, 09:03:18 pm »
Or get a proper rivet on Yoshi plate for a more authentic snide look. Got mine from Yoshi UK including the rivets.
SP Engineering in Somerset do good cans for sensible money. :)
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 November 2017, 10:59:29 pm »
 :thumbup

Robgosty

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 November 2017, 10:27:08 am »
Or get a proper rivet on Yoshi plate for a more authentic snide look. Got mine from Yoshi UK including the rivets.
SP Engineering in Somerset do good cans for sensible money. :)

I got a SP can, really well made and a really nice guy, had problems with my link pipe and he sorted no problem, would deffo use again

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 January 2018, 10:52:27 pm »
Can you get end cans that don't require removal of EXUP?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 January 2018, 11:29:19 pm »
Don't have a Mighty Thou, only a Baby FZS 600.
But I would have thought you would only lose the Exup valve if you changed the headers. :rolleyes

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 January 2018, 08:13:37 am »
Why do you want to keep the exup valve on a gen 2? It doesn't do anything useful or make the bike run any better. It merely cuts some of the noise emissions at certain revs.

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 January 2018, 09:00:55 pm »
My FZ1N came with a Leo Vinci can, I did wonder if the exup was needed like the gen 1, good to know it's just for noise.

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 January 2018, 09:58:17 pm »
Yeah sorry I mean on a gen 2

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 January 2018, 12:07:09 am »
I was under the impression that the Exup Valve was more than just a exhaust note muffler!
I have read in the forum that it really improves low and into lower mid range grunt and by removing said valve softens the acceleration and generally takes the edge off the performance.

If I have understood this wrongly someone please tell me I am talking shite, I will not be offended but I will be imformed.
 :lol
« Last Edit: 12 January 2018, 12:09:04 am by tommyardin »

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 January 2018, 03:25:46 am »
Good question Hugh, its just to save time if I want to reverse modification it looks feasible that a can could be fitted without exup removal also reading that exup provided some mid range grunt but maybe that is just for the gen 1 I don't know, do you how difficult is it removing exup cables from the servo on a gen 2? oops I,ll pm slappy i was just wondering if any Foccers had changed the exhaust and kept exup on a gen 2 model.
« Last Edit: 12 January 2018, 03:29:29 am by Nemesis »

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 January 2018, 03:51:59 am »

Removing the cables is not a difficult job.
The mid range grunt is just for the Gen 1 - totally different kind of valve. For the Gen 2 it is literally just for reducing noise emissions.

I was under the impression that the Exup Valve was more than just a exhaust note muffler!
I have read in the forum that it really improves low and into lower mid range grunt and by removing said valve softens the acceleration and generally takes the edge off the performance.

If I have understood this wrongly someone please tell me I am talking shite, I will not be offended but I will be imformed.
 :lol

That's for a gen 1 Tommy.
« Last Edit: 12 January 2018, 03:55:54 am by Hugh Mungus »