Date: 29-03-24  Time: 10:52 am

Author Topic: FZS600 has stopped working  (Read 3139 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: FZS600 has stopped working
« Reply #25 on: 06 May 2020, 05:48:36 am »
Let's just go back to basics for a second.
Where did you get your new plugs from, and which ones are you using exactly?

I know it sounds very unlikely, as you are seeing a spark, but it's another thing that has happened to me before so worth a mention. I bought a moody set of new NGK plugs off Ebay and the first one broke down in about 3 weeks i think, then another a week later.
But because they were new, i was looking everywhere else for the problem too. If it wasn't for the fact there happened to be a puddle next to my bike one day which made me flick some water at the pipes and i noticed one that was cold, it would have puzzled me for a lot longer.
Fortunately i had kept my old plugs so had the option of putting an old one back in to replace the dodgy one until i replaced the lot again from a well known reputable company, but it was at the time when i was already having starting issues due to what i now know was the ignition barrel, so it all kind of frazzles your brain when you don't know what's going on.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 May 2020, 06:48:20 am »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06 May 2020, 10:35:26 am »
I unbox brand new electronic equipment at work and every now and then I'll get something that is either faulty or doesn't work at all, even though they would have gone through strict tests at the manufacturers.
Fake equipment is another kettle of fish altogether. But there's plenty of it out there.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 May 2020, 11:15:53 am »
I tried to start it a few times and eventually with choke on and throttle half open it fired and ran very briefly, but, wouldn't do it again.  This is what was happening just before she died completely and I parked her up.  She would run sometimes but you had ot give it a handful of throttle to get her to run and then she'd die after a few seconds or you held the throttle and she'd backfire etc and eventually die.  She was running fine when I set off  that day and then half way on the journey bogged down and got worse and worse and you had to give her handfuls of throttle to get her to move at all..and then every now and then there would be a surge.  it really felt more like something electrical breaking down...

These symptoms are classic idle circuit blockage and/or stuck starter plungers.   
Later

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 May 2020, 03:27:08 pm »

Just a wee thought.
You said you gave it full choke and half throttle and she fired, but anymore throttle and she died.
Try no throttle, even if sounds crap, just leave to heat up.
Again try combinations of choke, none and try, half and try , then full and try. No throttle.
Then same as above with a little throttle, but if she fires , no more throttle till theres a little heat in there.
A warn engine is always easier to work on.
And as above try to if she fires try and get some sort of easy start in there as well, even just all round carbs to make sure there all sealed up, and not drawing air from somewhere.

Stretchah

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07 May 2020, 09:22:41 am »
Cheers guys, think the plugs came from wemoto if I remember correctly.  They're normally pretty good...

I'll look into the idle circuit/starter plungers, but, I can't help thinking that as the issue originally started when I was riding then the idle and starter circuits wouldn't have been in use at that point?  Am I thinking right or missing something?

I might also swap back to the original stator as at least i know that was working before....just in case the issue was water in the fuel and then the stator I bought new was a dud....worth a try ;)

Have lost my fuel reservoir as was using the spare tank from my XR and sold that yesterday, os, may be a delay unless I can rig something up or find the coolant expansion tank I used to use for these things :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 May 2020, 10:44:34 am »
If you think the tank, fuel line and fuel are okay, then why not just rest the tank facing backwards and bungee it in the seat area. That's what i do when balancing the carbs.
Just make sure you don't kink the rubber fuel hose.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 May 2020, 11:00:35 am »

Just wondering if your bike still has the original plug caps?
They were renowned for developing micro-cracks that let the spark track to earth. It’s sometimes possible to see that if you try starting the bike in the dark.
Note that a plug sparking OK when it’s out is not always a good guide because the compressed fuel/air mixture in the cylinder is harder for the spark to jump though.
NGK SD05F are the replacement caps most people use.

Stretchah

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 May 2020, 06:46:03 pm »
If you think the tank, fuel line and fuel are okay, then why not just rest the tank facing backwards and bungee it in the seat area. That's what i do when balancing the carbs.
Just make sure you don't kink the rubber fuel hose.

I think the fuel lines are fine and probably the fuel but now. I've got the old fuel out of the bike I may as well keep it out to be sure :) will have a look tomorrow for the reservoir :)

Stretchah

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 May 2020, 06:47:35 pm »

Just wondering if your bike still has the original plug caps?
They were renowned for developing micro-cracks that let the spark track to earth. It’s sometimes possible to see that if you try starting the bike in the dark.
Note that a plug sparking OK when it’s out is not always a good guide because the compressed fuel/air mixture in the cylinder is harder for the spark to jump though.
NGK SD05F are the replacement caps most people use.

I've ordered a few bits today including new plug caps, better safe than sorry...thinking it will be a process of elimination to be sure :)