Date: 19-04-24  Time: 13:38 pm

Author Topic: Oil Filter Fitments  (Read 1365 times)

Looey

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Oil Filter Fitments
« on: 26 April 2020, 11:56:06 am »
Probably not, but I thought I'd ask just in-case.

I notice (from owning other Yamahas and also having a later type Oil filter in-stock), that this model Fazer has a particularly small oil filter.

Does anyone know if the larger capacity oil filter from the 2004 onwards fits and works on the carb models ?.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 26 April 2020, 11:57:20 am by Looey »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Filter Fitments
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2020, 12:00:56 pm »
No idea on larger ones but there is the issue perhaps that it may fit the base but you may have to take the headers off to get it on and off.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Looey

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2020, 12:09:21 pm »
There's no problem with clearance. Our 2002 bike is all original with a genuine filter currently fitted and there's about 3-4 inches of clearance before the current filter would hit the back of the headers.

I'd say the later type taller filter is probably about half again in height and I've just held one in the cavity behind the headers and it fits in there easy.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2020, 12:31:43 pm »
Probably not, but I thought I'd ask just in-case.

I notice (from owning other Yamahas and also having a later type Oil filter in-stock), that this model Fazer has a particularly small oil filter.

Does anyone know if the larger capacity oil filter from the 2004 onwards fits and works on the carb models ?.

Cheers

From memory the filter on the FZ6 is longer and slightly smaller in O/D by a few mm but the thread should be the same, it should fit FZS.  If you've got the longer type just try it, you'll only lose a little oil when spinning off the filter, the surface area the oring seals against is flat so it should be ok.

If it spins on which I'm confidant it will and as long as there's clearance between the filter and the down tubes, start the bike and look for leaks, if it's going to it will almost immediately, certainly within a few mins.   

Thinking about it, I got a few of the latter type delivered by mistake some years back I'm sure they just fitted.  Anyway try the above, it will save wasting them.     
« Last Edit: 26 April 2020, 12:37:20 pm by Gnasher »
Later

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2020, 01:04:27 pm »
The Hiflo HF303 should do and is the Hiflo replacement for the 3FV-13440-00.
The  3FV-13440-00 was the OEM fitment to the FZS400, but the one fitted to the 600 is smaller in length to allow for the space taken up by the oil cooler which was not fitted to the FZS400.
If the HF303 fits, there would be no reason not to use it unless there is not sufficient space behind the down pipes to screw it on from the end of the filter bolt. 

Looey

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2020, 05:21:36 pm »
Cheers all,

I'll compare them and see if it fits when I do the Oil & Filter change and report what I find  :thumbup

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2020, 09:05:10 am »
there wouldnt be any benefit from this other than takes longer to get blocked up and in that case your not changing your oil enough and are going to have other problems.

there is a reason those highly experienced yamaha engineers built it with that size oil filter,

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2020, 07:14:50 pm »
there wouldnt be any benefit from this other than takes longer to get blocked up and in that case your not changing your oil enough and are going to have other problems.

What are you on about, blocked up  :eek no filter should ever get blocked up and the size of them isn't a design factor in them becoming less prone to blocking.  The chap's got a few filters from an 04 model that, he wants to know whether they will fit a FZS.  I assume because he's got an FZS and wants to use them rather than payout for FZS one's if these will fit.

there is a reason those highly experienced yamaha engineers built it with that size oil filter,

As said from memory the difference between the two filters is a few mm on the O/D and 20mm ish on the length.  The filters are located in very different positions.  FZS on the oil cooler located front of the engine behind the the lower downtubes, FZ6 on the side of the engine behind the generator.  The FZ6 also has less 100ml less oil capacity and runs hotter, hence bigger filter and from memory (so don't quote me) slightly bigger oil cooler.

The length is a factor with the FZS to enable the filter to be fitted/removed while the down tubes are still in place without too much difficulties.
If the FZ6 filters fits FZS, the only issue could be heat transfer with the filter being closer to the downtubes which could get hotter in traffic but again I'd doubt this would have any real effect.     
Later

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2020, 08:01:32 pm »
your right. no filter should get blocked up - why i added the part about other problems

different length in filter material means different flow characteristics between pump flow and pressure (if filter is used as a flow meter which does happen)

yes positioning may change various characteristics of oil temp etc. but why change to a filter not designed for that specific motor (unless highly modded where an actual oil cooler would be the way to go)
its £5 for a hiflo filter so why even bother thinking one from another model would do (and i bodge all the time but not for £5)

Looey

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2020, 08:32:04 pm »
I've ordered the correct filter (K&N) and new oil.

I'll have a look whilst the old filter is off but will almost definitely fit the new correct size filter