Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:47 am

Author Topic: BREXIT  (Read 209528 times)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Just for VNA a brexit thread
« Reply #100 on: 04 November 2018, 03:55:57 pm »
A thread Just for VNA..... fuck off   :lol

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 04 November 2018, 04:13:49 pm »
And there you have immediately kowtowed to them. [/size]I asked for an explanation in practical terms, and got one in political terms. Once again showing that politics merely gets in the way of trade.We must have the courage of our convictions and insist on our own conditions. Or it's No Deal.The point is to negotiate a deal, not have one dictated. That is the very reason Brexiteers want out of that non-democratic shambles.

I completely agree, but politics was always going to get in the way. The EU has its own problems and giving the UK exactly what it demands was never going to happen. 'Negotiate' means to the satisfaction of both sides. If both sides want something completely different, then we have No Deal. A brave move with lots of negative consequences.

As to the Irish issue, if NI remains in the EU, Scotland will want to as well. They both had similar Remain majorities.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 04 November 2018, 04:19:17 pm »
But I trust that if he's exonerated then the Reamainers are going to accept that result

Of course  :lol I know very well Leave EU wasn't the official Leave campaign, but they were subject to the same Electoral Commission rules as the other campaigns. And it looks very much like they cheated.

I must admit, I would like to see that smug git put away. Best he avoids the showers. There's a big Greek prisoner that would like to have a few words with him :rollin
« Last Edit: 04 November 2018, 04:22:03 pm by mtread »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 04 November 2018, 04:22:41 pm »
And there you have immediately kowtowed to them. I asked for an explanation in practical terms, and got one in political terms. Once again showing that politics merely gets in the way of trade.We must have the courage of our convictions and insist on our own conditions. Or it's No Deal.The point is to negotiate a deal, not have one dictated. That is the very reason Brexiteers want out of that non-democratic shambles.

I completely agree, but politics was always going to get in the way.

Then it is time for a new kind of politics. One that doesn't exist for its own sake. We in the UK are not the only ones thinking that. Unfortunately, in the US, they felt Trump was the only alternative, and here, we felt Brexit was the only alternative - in the face of the intransigence of our consecutive political classes.

The EU has its own problems and giving the UK exactly what it demands was never going to happen. 'Negotiate' means to the satisfaction of both sides. If both sides want something completely different, then we have No Deal. A brave move with lots of negative consequences.

But the EU is not negotiating. It is trying to dictate.

As to the Irish issue, if NI remains in the EU, Scotland will want to as well. They both had similar Remain majorities.

That's what the SNP wants anyway. Is Scotland a net contributor to the UK economy?

BTW, what the foc is going on with the font size around here? Grrrr, bloody Brexit!  :lol
« Last Edit: 04 November 2018, 04:29:17 pm by Hedgetrimmer »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 04 November 2018, 04:32:49 pm »

Good, innit  :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 04 November 2018, 04:56:11 pm »

:lol He won't post on the subject now it's been syphoned off into the custom built thread. He's already tried to shift it back into 'Today's what gets my goat', but no-one would fall for it.
I like it in here. It's a good laugh....most of the time :wall :lol

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 04 November 2018, 05:40:51 pm »
I here's me being nice putting a thread up for poor old VNA now he can't get a word in edge ways on his own thread. Still I'm enjoying reading the many and varied observations on Brexit from both sides of the argument. I'm waiting to see if May is a Chamberlin or a Churchill are we going to appease Europe or fight. As for the troubles returning to NI I remember them well, but as for us dealing with them again not sure the squaddies would want to do that and then face persecution (and yes I do mean persecution not prosecution) 40/50 years later when the terrorists are given a get out of jail free card.         
« Last Edit: 04 November 2018, 05:43:15 pm by steve 10562cc »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 04 November 2018, 05:53:09 pm »
As for the troubles returning to NI I remember them well, but as for us dealing with them again not sure the squaddies would want to do that and then face persecution (and yes I do mean persecution not prosecution) 40/50 years later when the terrorists are given a get out of jail free card.       

That's my point Steve: hand it over to the EU, where the majority of the N.I. population wants to be, and wash our hands of the whole sorry mess. Then it would be the EU's responsibility to contain the inevitable violence, and good luck to them frankly. Maybe they can do a better job than we did.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 04 November 2018, 06:04:28 pm »
Not many remembering all the redundancies that occured after we joined the EU then! Hundreds of thousnads, across many industries, as companies moved thier business to Europe and we were forced to privatise our state owned enterprises, with only the NHS surviving the cherry picking

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 04 November 2018, 07:19:21 pm »

:lol He won't post on the subject now it's been syphoned off into the custom built thread. He's already tried to shift it back into 'Today's what gets my goat', but no-one would fall for it.
I like it in here. It's a good laugh....most of the time :wall :lol

I could not agree more, in fact it has been very informative reading theses posts and I feel as if I have gained some real insight and understanding, so please try to ignor the piss taking, I just can’t help it.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 04 November 2018, 07:49:35 pm »
and we were forced to privatise our state owned enterprises, with only the NHS surviving the cherry picking
Huh?  :rolleyes I think you will find France and Germany have hung on to most of their state owned enterprises. In fact they are running ours. I think you are mistaking the EU for the Tories who privatised them (telecoms, energy, water, trains - shall I go on?)

As to NI, yes hand it over to the EU, but the bombs will go off here.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 04 November 2018, 07:51:45 pm »
in fact it has been very informative reading theses posts and I feel as if I have gained some real insight and understanding,
Thank you for the compliment  :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 04 November 2018, 08:04:53 pm »

As to NI, yes hand it over to the EU, but the bombs will go off here.

You mean from the Unionists? Well, we will just have to do our best to prevent that, as we do with Islamic extremists in our midst. Plus, with N.I. in EU hands, we can then bring diplomatic (and if required, other kinds of) pressure to bear on the EU to control their unruly, home-grown terrorists.

Also, if the Unionists started to carry out terrorist acts in the UK, what would they hope to achieve? Readmission to the Union? Would they really be so daft as to think they could achieve that by terrorism?
And, if you think that would be the likely scenario, do you really actually want N.I. as a UK responsibility? Knowing that this is why you keep them? Foc that, ungrateful bastards.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2018, 08:10:06 pm by Hedgetrimmer »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 04 November 2018, 08:11:22 pm »
Terrorists are daft by definition. We will have 'betrayed them'.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 04 November 2018, 08:11:43 pm »
I think you are mistaking the EU for the Tories who privatised them (telecoms, energy, water, trains - shall I go on?)
None of the big essential industrys/services should ever have been de-nationalised. I've never agreed with that Conservative Party policy.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 04 November 2018, 08:15:36 pm »
in fact it has been very informative reading theses posts and I feel as if I have gained some real insight and understanding,
Thank you for the compliment  :lol
I suspect that's a continuation of the piss taking ;) :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 04 November 2018, 08:44:12 pm »
Terrorists are daft by definition. We will have 'betrayed them'.

But if we followed your logic, the terrorists would win. We would simply capitulate to their demands. Personally, I'm a firm believer in not giving in to terrorism, no matter what. There are other things I would not give into either. Like the dictates of the EU.
And here's me with the dodgy back, yet it's the Remainers who are spineless  :lol

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 04 November 2018, 08:45:41 pm »
I suspect that's a continuation of the piss taking [/size]

Yes but........ I like informed debate. This country is divided down the middle like never before. Both left and right are taking both sides of the Brexit choice. As has been said here, people are fed up with their lot and the establishment that enforces it. That's worldwide. Like the industrial revolution, automation is now a significant shift. I for one, cannot understand why we are all still working a 5 day week.
The times they are a'changing.....  :)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 04 November 2018, 08:49:48 pm »
But if we followed your logic, the terrorists would win. We would simply capitulate to their demands.
Wasps will leave you alone. What you don't do is prod their nest with a stick  :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 04 November 2018, 08:52:52 pm »
I suspect that's a continuation of the piss taking

Yes but........ I like informed debate. This country is divided down the middle like never before. Both left and right are taking both sides of the Brexit choice. As has been said here, people are fed up with their lot and the establishment that enforces it. That's worldwide. Like the industrial revolution, automation is now a significant shift. I for one, cannot understand why we are all still working a 5 day week.
The times they are a'changing.....  :)

It's interesting to note there has been some (admittedly very limited) discussion about minimum 'wages' for those not in work in the scenario of automation replacing more and more people in the work place. If the trend continues, it will be time to leave behind the stigma of unemployment, and actually embrace it - isn't it, as you suggest, the whole point of automation?
Although, you ask why we are still working a 5 day week - I'm just wishing I could  :'(

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 04 November 2018, 08:54:27 pm »
But if we followed your logic, the terrorists would win. We would simply capitulate to their demands.
Wasps will leave you alone. What you don't do is prod their nest with a stick  :lol

Nope. Bees will leave you alone. Wasps are vindictive little bastards that will sting you without reason  ;)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 04 November 2018, 08:59:23 pm »
- isn't it, as you suggest, the whole point of automation?
Known as the 'Jetsons Scenario' (if you remember them). We were promised that automation would be so far developed, that life would be all leisure, and we wouldn't have to work at all. We're still waiting.  :rolleyes

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 04 November 2018, 10:27:20 pm »

I suspect that's a continuation of the piss taking

Yes but........ I like informed debate.

I was referring to the tommyardin post not your reply to it ;)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 04 November 2018, 10:59:43 pm »
I was referring to the tommyardin post not your reply to it [/size]

Sorry, is that again you piss taking?  ;)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 04 November 2018, 11:31:35 pm »
I was referring to the tommyardin post not your reply to it

Sorry, is that again you piss taking?  ;)

NO! :wall :lol
I could not agree more, in fact it has been very informative reading theses posts and I feel as if I have gained some real insight and understanding, so please try to ignor the piss taking, I just can’t help it.