Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:01 pm

Author Topic: Handlebars  (Read 3064 times)

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Handlebars
« on: 04 May 2016, 01:31:05 pm »
My new bars are due to arrive, after a wee prang on Saturday bent the 'old' ones.

I've ridden Fazers before I bought this one - and they were very comfy in all ways. With my current bike, I'd been finding the hand position pretty uncomfy and often got cramp and/or bad aches, so I was looking at changing the bars anyway.

I decided to go for the much-vaunted Renthal 758's, though the ones at Demon Tweeks don't actually say they are 758's - they do come up in a search and are described as "
Renthal Superbike Ultra Low Bars Grey".

Anyway, going off the point here (I'm getting on a bit). I'm wondering if my current bars are standard or not - and if the ones on the last Fazer I rode were 758's.

I've taken photo's and they are very different (as attached). The top one is the current, now very bent ones, and the bottom ones are the much more comfy ones - clearly a little more straight, and longer.

Can anyone tell me at best guess?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Handlebars
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2016, 02:33:30 pm »
The top ones definitely aren't standard - they're chrome, for starters. :)

The lower set look similar to 758s but I can't be sure from the photo.

The description of the Renthals by Demon Tweeks is what Renthal's website also lists for the 758s.

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2016, 03:41:36 pm »
Thanks - interesting. That explains a lot.

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2016, 09:39:20 am »
Just wanted to post the outcome here - I was desperately looking for recent info on this, so I know people may well find this through their search engine.

The handlebars are 758 model and they have made a massive difference. I can't say that the posture will be more comfy - that will vary from person to person - but the look, the control, oh boy the control is awesome!

This will probably come from the width, but at all speeds the control was very confidence-inspiring.

Took about 10 minutes to change the bars - mostly due to a previous owner having put half a ton of insulation tape under the switchgear to stop it sliding round and having stripped the thread from one of the riser bolt holes. Otherwise would have been just a couple of minutes, plus adjustment time. I know there are gaps between grips and switchgear that some say shouldn't be there - I put them where they are most comfy/reachable with my long thumbs.

I can't overtsate how good these are (for me) - so I'd say for the average chap they are well worth a try - I',m 6ft tall and 104kg. I like riding reasonably well sat up (slipped disc/sciatica and hernia are no friends of sporty positions). There is some pressure on the wrists - but as soon as you reach around 60mph this disappears. At low speeds in the twisties and in traffic, it's like on rails, but the wrist pressure can be distracting after a while in traffic. I've angled them back a bit more since, and think they might be better - I'll report back if not.

My Fazer is the 'awesomest' bike I've owned  :D and is now even more like the bike of my dreams.

« Last Edit: 06 May 2016, 09:44:29 am by JD-LincsUK »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2016, 11:33:12 am »
Good write up, thanks for sharing. I would have preferred them in black myself, but that's personal preference.

The 758s are the most recommended and used replacement bars on these forums, I have them myself with the GYTR risers which lower them down a little, I also paid to have them tapped out to take the OEM bar weights which I find much better at cutting down vibration that the lighter aftermarket ones. Like you say the extra width and position of the bars gives a lot more confidence and control through the twisties which is a big bonus. From personal experience you need to have the bars pulled forward so that when your hands are wresting on the grips your wrists are dead level, its when your wrists are at an angle that it gets uncomfortable, it can take a few attempts to get it right.

My Fazer is the bike that I've owned for the longest period of time, coming up for 7 years now, I have never found a valid reason to change it as it just does everything so well (after sorting the suspension & Ivanising).

Tatters

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2016, 03:34:25 pm »
 Hi … Those Bars look nice !...

I have just found this site and it’s a bundle of Knowledge ..

I am thinking in changing my Handle bars .. I’ve got a quick  questions .Did you have to get new break hoses so make them reach ? .
I have got my eye on the Renthal Streetfighter Handlebar …

Many thank s

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2016, 08:03:12 pm »
With 758's on OEM risers the cable/hose/wiring lengths are fine. I imagine the Streetfighter bars would be lower, so again no problem, possibly the ziptie for the brake hose on the stanchion might need repositioning a bit lower to stop the hose touching the clocks facia on lefthand lock. I've just fitted GYTR risers which are lower than stock and needed to make this slight alteration.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Tatters

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2016, 08:18:20 pm »
Hi Robbo. Many thanks for the advice ..i might have a look at the 758'S  :)

Tatters

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2016, 03:29:57 pm »
Hello Again ,
I don’t know if anybody knows but do the Renthal superbike Ultra low Bars take a Renthal Brace bar ?
Many thanks 
« Last Edit: 27 May 2016, 03:30:28 pm by Tatters »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2016, 05:54:49 pm »
Hello Again ,
I don’t know if anybody knows but do the Renthal superbike Ultra low Bars take a Renthal Brace bar ?
Many thanks
Those are the 758s and yes you can fit a Renthal brace on them.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2016, 05:55:32 pm by PieEater »