Date: 25-04-24  Time: 14:12 pm

Author Topic: Filling holes in plastic Bodykit / panels - Rear pillion handles  (Read 987 times)

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Need some advice please on the best methods for this.

So I've removed the rear pillion handles on my Mk1 Fazer and am left with 2 round holes, about an inch diameter, each side on rear fairing.
(it's fine - the wife hates the bike anyway - so I'm not taking any passengers in a hurry!) :D

What materials (and methods) would be best to fill the 2 holes each side, to leave a smooth finish with no clue the holes were ever there?
Plan to have the fairing painted afterwards, to complete this job.  8)

Cheers!

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Filling holes in plastic Bodykit / panels - Rear pillion handles
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2019, 08:29:14 pm »
Don't know whether you've got a JAWEL paint shop by you but I got some plastic bumper repair stuff,stopper,and primer specifically for this application it's got a flex built in somehow,I used it on a big crack on my Merc bumper and it was really good and hasn't moved,I bridged the gap,which was a good 3/4 inch with P40 and after grinding this down I used the plastic repair stuff and it was easy to use and flat and after priming it you could hardly see it.Even if you haven't got a JAWEL I w ould have thought any good body shop will sell this or some thing similar.
« Last Edit: 30 October 2019, 08:32:14 pm by coffee »
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2019, 08:50:31 pm »
find a rear panel from an fzs400, they dont have the grab rail
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2019, 08:59:36 am »
I just cut some sticky black plastic out and stuck it over - one piece with rounded ends covering both holes. But being black it was easy to get a colour match. It sounds like it would look rubbish but unless you look close its fine. See picture. Have to be careful not to "dish" the holes when I am cleaning it.  Other people have put in rubber gromit cap things. 
« Last Edit: 31 October 2019, 09:03:41 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2019, 09:38:14 am »
 big boy flexible filler- glue a piece of smooth plastic to the inside of the holes then cover them up with filler.
Sand the whole panel with wet and dry paper. If your careful enough you'll be left with a smooth finish for spray painting  :)

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2019, 10:58:11 am »
^  Thanks all for your feedback, always appreciated.  8) :thumbup

Looking on the web for a FZS400 panel... as rare as hens teeth to get hold of! :)
Although if its exactly the same dimensions/size as the bigger FZS600 rear fairing? Will keep a look out...

Do currently have rubber grommets in each hole. Seals them nicely actually plus serves the purpose, however with the aim of a perfectly smoothed fairing (with no trace of the holes), a permanent "repair" is going to be the preferred solution. Alot of effort, plus if I don't paint the fairing after the holes are gone, am planning to have the fairing vinyl wrapped (along with some other parts of the bike).

celticdog's post below is how I think I'll tackle this. Materials will be cheap, just takes some patience!...

big boy flexible filler- glue a piece of smooth plastic to the inside of the holes then cover them up with filler.
Sand the whole panel with wet and dry paper. If your careful enough you'll be left with a smooth finish for spray painting  :)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2019, 12:28:53 pm »
Looking on the web for a FZS400 panel... as rare as hens teeth to get hold of! :)

Look on the japenese sites, and other worldwide sites. The 400 wasn't officially imported here so numbers are low.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again