Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:40 pm

Author Topic: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!  (Read 642495 times)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!
« Reply #3475 on: 22 March 2020, 09:53:34 pm »
It's been like that all weekend here. I've not seen so many bikes in one weekend for years. Most of them as loud as foc and being ridden flat out.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: 22 March 2020, 10:07:42 pm »
Over the last 48 hours, through a faceache group I am in, I have heard about 3 bikers not too far from me that have died. I have no idea if the accidents were their fault or not (at least one was a car at fault) but this afternoon whilst in my garden I could hear bikes treating the dual carriageway near my house as if it was santa pod.
Normally I wouldn't have an issue with this but with teh way that the NHS is being stretched at the moment, why do we push our luck?
My insurance is due soon on my bikes along with the MOT on one of them and I am seriously considering SORN both bikes for now.
You don't think it's a good time to splash out on a new bike then. :\   Oh foc! :(

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: 23 March 2020, 06:43:16 am »
Perhaps a good time to wait VNA there is going to be some bargains in the stealerships when this is all over for those of us who avoid the grim reaper

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: 23 March 2020, 10:52:29 am »
Too late;

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: 24 March 2020, 06:24:27 am »
Nice very nice bike and I'm no BMW fan.

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3480 on: 24 March 2020, 08:20:24 am »
I'm with Steve.
Not a BMW fan but that is a really nice bike.
Best use, and look, with the boxer engine I think.
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: 24 March 2020, 11:08:08 am »
 Cheers foccers.

I know what you mean.  I’ve never been a BMW fan, but then again, I’ve always had grudging admiration for the boxer, and also that BMW doesn’t follow the crowd, they do their own – often weird – thing.  But I didn’t think I’d ever buy one.

I’ve ridden an early 00’s air head, and whilst it had a nice big bit of low down grunt, it was overall a bit asthmatic compared to the Fazer thou. But this new water-cooled boxer with the ‘shift cam’ valve technology is something else.

Looks wise – it’s not weirdly and wonderfully gorgeous like the R Nine T’s, it’s an odd looking thing.  But remember the SAABs of the 70’s and 80’s into the 90’s, you know the 99, 90, 900’s?  When I first saw one I thought they were mingin, but then I couldn’t stop looking at them – they were different but they grew on you.

Anyway, what a time to take delivery of a new bike.  To and from work – and that’s it.  Maybe I can get away with the long way home – though if the NHS is in total melt-down I’ll probably just use the car – gotta reduce all risks however small I guess.

I ever come to sell it – it will be advertised as a rare limited edition Covid19 20 plate. 

Plenty more snaps in “ What did you do with whatever else you've got? “

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: 25 March 2020, 12:24:26 am »
When I'd got tired of the weight of 12 years of Pan europeans I bought a BMW  GT800, I really tried to like it but to no avail,it was ok on fuel and fairly comfy one up but put any luggage and my beloved on the back and it had to work sooo hard to get anywhere,we'd been spoiled with the Pans and in the end I'd have welcomed the weight for the speed and comfort of those beauties but we'd come to the end of touring on bikes after nearly 20 years and I've never been so glad to get rid of a bike without losing to much dough. I think it would have been a different story if we'd gone for a RT1200 but I thought the 800 was the way to go but that's a lovely looking bike you've got there,when you get to ride it ;) .Then again I have such an enjoyable time on my FZ it's really all I want. :thumbup
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: 25 March 2020, 12:19:54 pm »
 Cheers coffee.  It’s no light weight at 240kg.  On the test ride I never noticed the weight.  So, it’s gonna be interesting how I find manoeuvring it about day to day.  My drive is on a slope, and there’s a gentle ramp into my garage.  But I’m hoping I soon get used to backing her out of the garage etc - hopefully will be easy enough – never found it a problem on the thou.

The side stand is heavy duty but surprisingly long, the bike seems very upright on the side stand. 

But the big frustration is once the salt and grit is washed away, well I’m still left with not much more than the 7 miles to work, and 7 miles home.  Presumably I’m allowed to ride the additional 7 miles to my favourite butcher.   Unlike the horders I'll be buying less, to justifie mare trips. And if restrictions continue will I be able to get the 600 mile service?

Oh for two up riding and luggage, I think you would love the torque of the boxer.

« Last Edit: 25 March 2020, 12:22:54 pm by VNA »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: 25 March 2020, 12:26:02 pm »
 Check that torque curve.  That 100 ft lbs at the rear wheel. :)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: 25 March 2020, 03:07:03 pm »
  Presumably I’m allowed to ride the additional 7 miles to my favourite butcher.   Unlike the horders I'll be buying less, to justifie mare trips.
Mare??. Surely we're not down to eating the horses just yet? :eek

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: 25 March 2020, 03:17:23 pm »
Mare??. Surely we're not down to eating the horses just yet? :eek

Nothing wrong with eating the odd horse.
But ah meant mare as in lots mare beef and lamb and stuff.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3487 on: 25 March 2020, 05:53:09 pm »
Check that torque curve. 

Looks like it has the same problem as the FZ6, they've detuned it around the 5,500 to 6,000 revs range, because that's where the emissions testing is done.

Hopefully you can get it remapped or get the equivalent of a Power Commander to smooth that hole out.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: 25 March 2020, 06:37:28 pm »

Quote from: VNA on Today at 12:26:02 PM<blockquote> Check that torque curve. 
</blockquote>
Looks like it has the same problem as the FZ6, they've detuned it around the 5,500 to 6,000 revs range, because that's where the emissions testing is done.

Hopefully you can get it remapped or get the equivalent of a Power Commander to smooth that hole out.

Or it might be that's where it switches cams.  But whatever, the torque is just nuts.

Remap?  Well I’ve only ridden a demo for two hours, but I thought the engine was stunning. I sure wasn’t thinking this thing needs a re-map.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: 25 March 2020, 08:57:47 pm »
"switches cams"? is it a form of V-Tech ?
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: 25 March 2020, 09:42:49 pm »
"switches cams"? is it a form of V-Tech ?

Yeah, but BMW style;

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: 26 March 2020, 12:38:25 am »
Or it might be that's where it switches cams.  But whatever, the torque is just nuts.

Interesting, I've never seen that before.

I sure wasn’t thinking this thing needs a re-map.

A lot of people ride the stock FZ6 with the OEM engine map too.

But look at that torque: At 5250rpm you have around 130Nm

At around 5600rpm it's dropped to 125Nm and then stays there until around 6000 rpm where it starts to rise again, getting to about 135Nm at 6750rpm

That's not smooth power delivery.

Still, your bike, your choice :thumbup

(Edited because I read it wrong!)
« Last Edit: 26 March 2020, 12:42:24 am by Grahamm »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: 26 March 2020, 11:04:41 am »
That's not smooth power delivery.
The proof is in the pudding.
I'm guessing you've no had a bite.

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: 26 March 2020, 11:17:14 am »
That gets my goat too, incorrect use of a saying.

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating" is the correct saying  :pokefun
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: 26 March 2020, 12:37:51 pm »

That gets my goat too, incorrect use of a saying.

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating" is the correct saying  :pokefun.

I apologise.  But trust me, wack the throttle open, release that torque and hang on.  It’s an impressive engine.  I’ll quote MCN,

At gentle throttle openings and below 5000rpm the boxer engine sits on its mild, low-lift cams and delivers flawless grunt from as low as 2000rpm. Ask for more power and the camshafts obey by snapping across the top of the engine, in just five milliseconds, delivering the kind of hairy cam acceleration that makes the roadster think it’s a mono-wheeling S1000R.
It has the seamless thrust of a blueprinted race engine and a growling, rhythmic chocolatey exhaust growl to match. Throttle pick-up is flawless, even at town speeds and there’s enough oomph from the motor to stick it top gear and leave it there all day. Or, you can slice through the gears and visit the motor’s dark and angry side.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: 27 March 2020, 08:16:19 am »
Click bait. Like this
Kirstie Allsopp 'would sleep with Davina's hubby like a shot' [/font]The actual story
Davina, 47, married to Pet Rescue host Matthew Robertson, recently said wives should agree to sex with their husbands even if they’re not in the mood.And Kirstie, 43, declares: ‘I agree with Davina’s comments about making an effort with your partner. I would have sex with her husband Matthew like a shot.’
« Last Edit: 27 March 2020, 08:17:27 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: 30 March 2020, 12:49:27 pm »
Oldies like me, have been told, stay at home and get your shopping on line. For the last 10 days we've got up early trying to arrange a time slot for either a Tesco or Asda delivery. They're aren't any, which forced us out today to shop at Tescos during the oldies 9 till 10am period. All nice and organised queuing outside with your trolley at 2 metres distancing. Once inside the store social distancing goes out the window, and only resumes when eventually you find the end of the checkout queue.
The only upside was that all the shopping items that we wanted, other than hand sanitizer, were available. Still, ok for a couple of weeks now :thumbup [size=78%], providing I haven't caught the lurgy from someone today[/size] :eek .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: 30 March 2020, 02:31:05 pm »
Oldies like me, have been told, stay at home and get your shopping on line. For the last 10 days we've got up early trying to arrange a time slot for either a Tesco or Asda delivery. They're aren't any, which forced us out today to shop at Tescos during the oldies 9 till 10am period. All nice and organised queuing outside with your trolley at 2 metres distancing. Once inside the store social distancing goes out the window, and only resumes when eventually you find the end of the checkout queue.
The only upside was that all the shopping items that we wanted, other than hand sanitizer, were available. Still, ok for a couple of weeks now :thumbup [size=78%], providing I haven't caught the lurgy from someone today[/size] :eek .

Yeah I've found the same in my local Tesco. Everything is by the book until you actually get in the nit s a free for all. Also added to the mix are a load of power mad "security guards" (out of work bouncers) that feel the need to try and pretend that they are actually in charge and occasionally block an aisle off because there are 3 people down it 🙄🙄
The other thing that gets my goat about the whole thing is that tesco has designated an hour to the elderly yet hardly any bastard has the decency to actually abide by it.
 I got to mine at around 9.45 last friday and realised that it was the 'elderly hour' so I refrained from doing my shopping for 15 minutes and just browsed the clothes department (out of the way) but while I was there I noticed plenty of younger people just barging around with their trolleys, grabbing what they wanted and huffing when some older people were taking their time.
Honestly makes me feel sick how selfish some people can be

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: 30 March 2020, 04:55:08 pm »
Our Asda has a 'one way system' with arrows on the floor of each aisle, and no overtaking. It's a bugger when you realise you've missed something on your list 2 yards back, and have to go round all over again!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: 30 March 2020, 07:18:42 pm »
A few days ago the local Asda superstore was enforcing a "maximum 25 people in store" policy.
The thing was, the local Co-op, which is about a quarter of the size, was using the same policy...