Date: 16-04-24  Time: 18:35 pm

Author Topic: Clutch replacement  (Read 1578 times)

marksfazer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Clutch replacement
« on: 20 June 2014, 08:18:43 pm »
Hi guys,
After some advice regarding changing my clutch, when changing it can I just replace the friction plates or do I need to replace springs, friction plates and metal plates?
The reason I'm changing it is not because its worn out but because the amount of free play in the cable varies between hot and cold.
When its cold I have no free play, but when its hot I have lots.
I've tried everything except for changing the clutch, and have now been told by a couple of people I might have warped plates.

Over to you

Cheers Mark.

ElkWorks

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch replacement
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2014, 01:18:23 pm »
just get a kit off wemoto, friction plates and metal plates, soak them overnight in some new oil before fitting, and swap them over, should only take 20 mins or so.

marksfazer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2014, 08:02:10 pm »
Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look on wemoto.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2014, 11:31:20 pm »
Have you tried changing the cable? Don't just assuming the plates are warped without taking them out and checking them. If they're not then you're just wasting your money.

marksfazer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2014, 07:10:56 am »
I've changed the cable and adjusted free play down at the sprocket cover, I had the mechanism apart where the cable goes into the cover and made sure everything was working as it should. the only thing I haven't done is take clutch out.
This problem only come to light last year before any adjustments or cable replacement happened. Its just one of those ignoring little problems.

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2014, 07:25:02 am »
Sounds like cable or even the the rod and rod pusher behind sprocket cover, gave me abit of bother at start, just greased everything up, new cable and gud as new now, except I do now need a clutch lol