Date: 29-03-24  Time: 04:41 am

Author Topic: "Cruise control" options  (Read 4147 times)

TomS_

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
"Cruise control" options
« on: 26 May 2016, 10:16:16 pm »

Hi everyone. Got a hefty sized trip coming up next month on my 52 plate FZS600, and Im considering some "cruise control" options for the long stretches of motorway that will be involved.

Ive seen plenty of cheapie solutions on ebay, e.g. http://r.ebay.com/nRxZRs

But then I came across something which looks much nicer, and could live on the bike permanently: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/kaoko-throttle-lock-cruise-control-yamaha-fz1-fz6-tdm850-tdm900-xjr1200-xjr1300-mt01-black-or-silver

Its a bit pricey, but I like how discreet it is and that it basically becomes part of the handlebar.

Now the problem is that its apparently for the Fazer 1000 and various other models. Kaoko doesnt seem to make anything for the FZS600, and I dont like the chances or potential costs of asking them to make one for a FZS600 in the next month.

So what Im wondering is, how different are the ends of the handle bar between the FZS600 and Fazer 1000? Are the threads that the bar ends screw in to the same? Is the construction of the throttle side of the two bars significantly different?

Perhaps someone has some other compelling reason not to get this, like "just get the cheapie one instead"?  :lol

Or maybe particular suggestions?

Will flick the manufacturer an email too and see if they have any suggestions, though I'd ask here incase someone knew something.

Thanks

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

TomS_

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: "Cruise control" options
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2016, 09:26:30 am »
Ive seen these too, but Ive been trying to work out how exactly they work.

I also have grip puppies on my bars, and Ive been wondering whether they'll either get damaged, or prevent something like this from taking proper hold.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2016, 12:49:15 pm »

I also have grip puppies on my bars, and Ive been wondering whether they'll either get damaged, or prevent something like this from taking proper hold.

Not actually used one myself, but you rest the lower part of your thumb/palm of your hand on it, rather than having to grip the throttle with your fingers.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2016, 07:18:53 pm »
I bought one of those "throttle rockers"a few years back...good on motorways but you must remember to remove it for town riding  :o........worth the money and I do still use it occasionally now, not as good as cruise control though...
One, is never going to be enough.....

John Silva

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2016, 08:33:08 pm »
I took my throttle lock off my Honda when I sold it and fitted it (self tapped it) on the Fazer.
Which is the same as eBay # 291735105144
Wouldn't be without it now.
Biking is about the Journey NOT the Destination...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2016, 06:29:19 am »
I took my throttle lock off my Honda when I sold it and fitted it (self tapped it) on the Fazer.
Which is the same as eBay # 291735105144
Wouldn't be without it now.

John, that looks like some sort of medieval handcuff.  :lol

John Silva

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2016, 07:30:23 pm »
And!!!
If it works then don't knock it. ;-P
I will take a pic tomorrow and you can see its nothing like you imagine.
Biking is about the Journey NOT the Destination...

grizzler

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - GSX600F
    • View Profile
Life is never complete. Once you've discovered rock music, beer, bikes & girls, you have the rest of your life to intimately explore each one.. Good luck with finishing that project.

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2016, 01:44:07 pm »

Not actually used one myself, but you rest the lower part of your thumb/palm of your hand on it, rather than having to grip the throttle with your fingers.

I've seen a few of those advertised on sites like DealExtreme and wondered how they worked. Now I know.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

chrischristopherson1313

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2016, 11:37:00 pm »
Try this one
Very cheap £12
Do the job.
I am using it fron some time no problems

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/142003204902?_mwBanner=1

Hi everyone. Got a hefty sized trip coming up next month on my 52 plate FZS600, and Im considering some "cruise control" options for the long stretches of motorway that will be involved.

Ive seen plenty of cheapie solutions on ebay, e.g. http://r.ebay.com/nRxZRs

But then I came across something which looks much nicer, and could live on the bike permanently: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/kaoko-throttle-lock-cruise-control-yamaha-fz1-fz6-tdm850-tdm900-xjr1200-xjr1300-mt01-black-or-silver

Its a bit pricey, but I like how discreet it is and that it basically becomes part of the handlebar.

Now the problem is that its apparently for the Fazer 1000 and various other models. Kaoko doesnt seem to make anything for the FZS600, and I dont like the chances or potential costs of asking them to make one for a FZS600 in the next month.

So what Im wondering is, how different are the ends of the handle bar between the FZS600 and Fazer 1000? Are the threads that the bar ends screw in to the same? Is the construction of the throttle side of the two bars significantly different?

Perhaps someone has some other compelling reason not to get this, like "just get the cheapie one instead"?  :lol

Or maybe particular suggestions?

Will flick the manufacturer an email too and see if they have any suggestions, though I'd ask here incase someone knew something.

Thanks