Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:19 pm

Author Topic: What did you do with whatever else you've got?  (Read 505681 times)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do with whatever else you've got?
« Reply #2050 on: 09 November 2018, 02:51:10 pm »
That's a nice collection of bikes  :) Like me, 3 is just the right number to stop you getting bored.

lol yeah mate, three is the magic number alright. As Nick says, and you know same as me no doubt, running em don't come easy, not if you want to keep them all tickety boo, but personally I aint got much else I care about aside from my dog/kids/grandkids, so I don't mind they keep me poor.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: 09 November 2018, 02:58:28 pm »
Don't mind me guys, I'm just trying to cheer myself up cos I can't even really afford one now  :'(

:lol

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: 09 November 2018, 03:14:23 pm »
lol im the same mate. Ive hit rock bottom this week, overdraft maxxed out, just sold my geddy lee fender jazz (I foccing loved that bass :'( :'( :'( ) to pay my partner what I borrowed off her, and ive got a triumph leather jacket and pair of gloves on ebay finishing tonight that will give me enough money to get through the weekend and next week. I wont sell any of the bikes, but everything else is dissapearing fast lol. Not working for three years to get through this degree and living at my girlfriends mums house because I havnt got one of my own is really, really starting to bite :lol :lol
« Last Edit: 09 November 2018, 03:15:36 pm by ogri48 »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: 09 November 2018, 03:22:54 pm »
Sympathies to you both, but glad the bikes don't go first. They reckon most of us are just 3 wage packets away from the breadline  :(

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: 09 November 2018, 03:41:51 pm »
ah these things all work out, one way or another bud. I remember two years ago when my old lab died, I would have given every bike ive ever owned for another few days with him. its all just stuff really, innit. Hard times, and good times, come and go. just gotta roll with

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: 11 November 2018, 05:59:17 pm »
ah these things all work out, one way or another bud. I remember two years ago when my old lab died, I would have given every bike ive ever owned for another few days with him. its all just stuff really, innit. Hard times, and good times, come and go. just gotta roll with

Horrible,ain't it? apart from losing a loved one when your dog goes it's bad news,my last one died in my arms and it took some time to get over it. :'(
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: 11 November 2018, 06:05:45 pm »
that it is buddy. took me 18 months before I was ready for another

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: 11 November 2018, 07:45:37 pm »
The Triumph had its first proper winter workout today. Left home at 07:30 in the pi55ing rain to ride to Folkestone to witness the Pages of the Sea art event on the beach, to mark the 100th anniversary since armistice, marking the end of WW1. This was staged at 32 beaches around the country, the idea inspired by film producer Danny Boyle, who was present at Folkestone. The beach sand painting was of poet Wilfred Owen, and was created using stencils and rakes. The port of Folkestone was a departure point for thousands of troops bound for France all those years ago.
The vantage points were crammed with people who had braved the elements to witness this unique and very moving tribute. Fortunately the rain held off for the entire time we watched the tide advance to eventually wash away the artwork.
To lighten the mood, my pal and I had a good thrash, all be it in the rain, on A and B roads over to the north Kent coast to Herne Bay, for a couple of pints and a sit down haddock and chips.
Coming home via the roads and lanes of Kent, taking in Challock, Charing, Leeds and Wateringbury, might not have been one of my better ideas, as failing light and road spray, wasn't condusive to rapid progress, but did my best, although my eyesight in the dark certainly isn't as sharp as it was.
A great day, even if a touch melancholy, which was to be expected. Glad I made the effort despite the weather. I felt it was the least that I could do.
« Last Edit: 11 November 2018, 07:53:24 pm by robbo »
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: 11 November 2018, 08:29:08 pm »
I thought the beach painting was a lovely way to remember. Such an original inspired idea.
I didn't get to see any of those other than on television, but we did spend the day in remembrance in London today at The Cenotaph service and march past by the veterans, the Shrouds Of The Somme exhibition and Beyond The Deepening Shadow at The Tower.

« Last Edit: 14 November 2020, 08:10:24 pm by YamFazFan »

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: 12 November 2018, 08:32:42 pm »
cleaned up me calipers and fitted braided hoses on the cb1300..

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: 15 November 2018, 11:22:31 pm »
Well I have come to a decision.
The Honda C90 that I completely renovated last winter is on eBay, it has to go as I want another project for this winter.
Shall be sorry to see it go in some ways, but needs must, it's either that or the Fazer FZS600 and that might happen sooner than I want, bad arthritis in my wrists.
ho hum!       

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: 16 November 2018, 08:23:19 pm »
nice, dude!

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: 18 November 2018, 06:46:55 pm »
Not bike related but finished my furniture well before Christmas,good job aswell,I'm fed up of painting now, :'(

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: 18 November 2018, 07:16:32 pm »
Well I have come to a decision.
The Honda C90 that I completely renovated last winter is on eBay, it has to go as I want another project for this winter.
Shall be sorry to see it go in some ways, but needs must, it's either that or the Fazer FZS600 and that might happen sooner than I want, bad arthritis in my wrists.
ho hum!     

That's beautiful ,and you'll sell it no probs,I put one on e/bay with one for spares aswell and there were loads after them,they're getting collectable :thumbup

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: 20 November 2018, 02:50:05 pm »
I put our 3, 6 year old tortoises in the fridge for the next 4 months LOL!  :eek :eek :eek  < that's what they thought.

Its the safest way to hibernate them, fridge is set at 5 degrees C, apparently its the best temperature for them.
We have had these little buggers for 6 years now, they were the size of a 50 pence piece when we bought them, my daughters silly idea, 100 quid each  :eek .

They have been fun to own though, sounds daft but they recognise members of the family and come up to you and climb over your feet  when you go into their pen. They also will take food from your fingers, one of the little sods bite me one day while i was hand feeding then, how bloody painful, they have a beak like a parrot but a jaw bite about 4 times as strong. left me with skin scrapped off when I snatched my hand away and also a black blood blister type pinch, little f--ker.
But in all fairness to him it was an accident and never bite before or since.
They are between 6.5 and 7 inches long now, See picture of their winter residence, they even have a bedside light LOL! But only works when the door is open.Was told by the breeder that we purchased them from, you have not been able to legally buy from abroad for years now because of import rules passed by Defra. Apparently hundreds and thousands of them suffocated or were crushed during import into this country over the years, often 80 to 100 tortoises in hessian sacks. with 25% losses being nothing unusual.Hence you can only legally buy from UK breeders. They are 'Hermans' Mediterranean Torts and can live for up to 100 years some examples have reached 120, little buggers are going to around longer than me. Named 'Mr Darcy' and 'Mr Bingly' from Jane Austen's novel Pride and Prejudice, that will be wife and daughter naming them, the third one is called 'Veyron' wonder who named him? :rolleyes  but in all honesty he is the fastest.  
« Last Edit: 20 November 2018, 02:57:02 pm by tommyardin »

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: 21 November 2018, 12:00:33 am »
WOW ! Ihonestly thought you were joking about the fridge,I've never heard of that,but I've heard of their longevity! :eek

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: 21 November 2018, 11:15:25 am »
blimey! ive learnt something new today mate!

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: 21 November 2018, 08:28:12 pm »
Hmmm. Not so sure about the fridge. We had two, but one passed away 5 years ago. We think he was about 80 years old. Father in law found him in the early 50s while out dog walking. He moved to our house when me and the wife moved in 1986. Lovely old fella. Still got the other one, hes been with us 12 years now, found in church yard, unable to trace any owner, guess hes about 60. Ive called them both "he" but the truth is we never know/knew what sex they are, I honestly think its more likely they're both female, but its irrelevant really as we dont dress them up! They overwinter in the garage, in a box lined with cardboard and packed with hay, from late november till early/late March, depends on the weather to an extent

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: 21 November 2018, 08:50:03 pm »
Im sure that they keep breathing whilst in hibernation, how much air is there in a fridge when the door is shut.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: 21 November 2018, 10:16:14 pm »
Im sure that they keep breathing whilst in hibernation, how much air is there in a fridge when the door is shut.
There's only one way to find out. You'll have to get in and tell us  :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: 22 November 2018, 12:00:25 am »
Hmmm. Not so sure about the fridge. We had two, but one passed away 5 years ago. We think he was about 80 years old. Father in law found him in the early 50s while out dog walking. He moved to our house when me and the wife moved in 1986. Lovely old fella. Still got the other one, hes been with us 12 years now, found in church yard, unable to trace any owner, guess hes about 60. Ive called them both "he" but the truth is we never know/knew what sex they are, I honestly think its more likely they're both female, but its irrelevant really as we dont dress them up! They overwinter in the garage, in a box lined with cardboard and packed with hay, from late november till early/late March, depends on the weather to an extent

Hi, it’s true the fridge is the best way to hibernate them.
Some people put them in a cardboard box with straw in it and leave them in an outside shed over winter. The trouble with this the temperature can drop to minus 4 or even 5 and those temperatures can kill them as their blood can freeze, also rats can get into sheds and will bite lumps off tortoise, the other thing that can happen is in February you can get slightly warmer winter sun shining on the windows or the black felt roof of a shed and raise the temperature by 7 or 8 degrees, the tortoises then start to wake up from hibernation the temperature drops to minus degrees again and the tortoise is unlikely to survive. Fridge set at 5 degrees C and all those problems are overcome and you then decide when hibernation is over and it not dictated by the weather. 4 months ours are in the fridge and that’s the way it’s been for 6 years now. Lots on the internet net about it.
« Last Edit: 22 November 2018, 12:19:07 am by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: 22 November 2018, 12:10:34 am »
Yeah it is not an ordinary household type fridge it’s half size and if you look at the pic of the fridge that I posted  you can see a circular grill in the back, there is a fan in the fridge that blows cold air in at the set temperature so that there is a change of air going on most of the time. (A bit like the air con in your car) Tortoises heart rate is very very slow and so it their breathing so they need very little air, when in hibernation these function slow down much slower than normal. That very slow heart rate and breathing is why they live so long compared with something like a cat that has a very fast metabolism, that’s why the family moggies usually shuffle off this mortal coil after about 17 years or so. If your lucky, and the old tortoise goes on for another hundred years.
« Last Edit: 22 November 2018, 02:22:06 pm by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: 22 November 2018, 12:16:44 am »
Does it matter what sex they are. I heard about a lot of blokes who like to wear  :rolleyes  let’s say inappropriate garments  :rollin   So why not your tortoises

Said  tommyardin ducking below the parapet.

« Last Edit: 22 November 2018, 12:23:13 am by tommyardin »

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: 22 November 2018, 06:40:54 pm »
Yeah it is not an ordinary household type fridge it’s half size and if you look at the pic of the fridge that I posted  you can see a circular grill in the back, there is a fan in the fridge that blows cold air in at the set temperature so that there is a change of air going on most of the time. (A bit like the air con in your car) Tortoises heart rate is very very slow and so it their breathing so they need very little air, when in hibernation these function slow down much slower than normal. That very slow heart rate and breathing is why they live so long compared with something like a cat that has a very fast metabolism, that’s why the family moggies usually shuffle off this mortal coil after about 17 years or so. If your lucky, and the old tortoise goes on for another hundred years.

Well I'll be buggered..like others I've learnt something and thought you were taking the piss.

So do you prep them for it or just pick them up whilst they're chomping on lettuce, straight in a box and slam them in the fridge ?? I'd shit myself if that happened to me during dinner.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: 22 November 2018, 06:46:53 pm »

Well I'll be buggered..like others I've learnt something and thought you were taking the piss.

So do you prep them for it or just pick them up whilst they're chomping on lettuce, straight in a box and slam them in the fridge ?? I'd shit myself if that happened to me during dinner.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol