Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:20 pm

Author Topic: Front sprocket?  (Read 949 times)

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Front sprocket?
« on: 14 November 2019, 04:52:24 pm »
          Is the original FZS 1000 front sprocket, (as fitted to the bike when supplied) a silent rubber damped type?  If not, is it worth fitting one?
If at first you don't succeed, pull your foreskin ower yer heid!

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Front sprocket?
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2019, 07:41:12 pm »
If you have half the job I had undoing mine on my gen 2 then no,all this tapping the sprocket with a hammer bullshit won't work,I ended up with a massive piece of wood locking the rear wheel and a spike through the chain,I bought a heavy duty socket and long bar which I really had to hit hard before it finally gave,I couldn't believe how tight it was and after all that I put a smaller aftermarket absorber type on which gave a bit better acceleration but little else in the way of quieter drive etc.If your happy with your bike in general and your sprocket isn't worn I wouldn't bother. :wall
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2019, 08:01:39 pm »
coffee. The reason it was so hard to undue could be due to it being assemble with some thread locking compound such as Loctite 243 or similar, rather than having been tightened up super tight. Of course knowing that doesn't make it any easier to undue.  :\ 

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2019, 09:14:40 pm »
ive put a rubber cushioned one on me xjr when I went from 18 to 17t the other week. its no quieter and its a pig trying to bend the washer over the flats with the rubber in the way. I wouldn't bother again

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2019, 02:03:24 am »
Decision made! I'll not be bothering, present sprockets/chain are fine.  Thanks again.  ;)
If at first you don't succeed, pull your foreskin ower yer heid!

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 November 2019, 10:10:03 pm »
coffee. The reason it was so hard to undue could be due to it being assemble with some thread locking compound such as Loctite 243 or similar, rather than having been tightened up super tight. Of course knowing that doesn't make it any easier to undue.  :\

That makes sense,because the sprocket would never have been off as it's only done 5ish thousand miles.I never thought about the factory locking compound 'till I read your post,I bet if I had to change it again it would be relatively easy. :thumbup
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.