Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:33 pm

Author Topic: stuttering fzs 600  (Read 258082 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: stuttering fzs 600
« Reply #900 on: 04 June 2013, 09:26:47 pm »
ive got confidence in ya paul!!....relay waiting ta post ;) .....ps, how did atb go on with larry the lambs mum???? :rolleyes ............

Clive me old mucker.......welcome back to the fold, ya dozy fart !!! hows ya bin? wot you up to? questions !!! me? new job........i`m the `geeeeeeeeeeeezer` on the bet victor ads......give us some odds on da match vic !!! :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin only pop on here now and again just to keep Paul on his uppers ! ;) only kidding Paolo :lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol no worries mate,keep it up i need the motorvation  :rolleyes [size=78%].....not forgotten about the bet [/size] ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: 04 June 2013, 11:17:53 pm »
Ok keep talking 29 pages to go  nearly there.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: 05 June 2013, 06:38:13 am »
yeh...good thanks matey,getting lots of use from the thou with the london foccers  :D .....hows you collection,that thou up and running yet ?..... you still got the norton ?
no not done much more with the thou!...still debating to do that deal with it?...and yes still got me commando!!..one day i WILL get it back on road :\ ....just got me 6 moted" and tax sent for :) ....trying to pack up smoking at mo!!..just got one of them electronic fags!...working up 2 now , only had 5 rollups in last wk..time will tell :rolleyes .....see atb,s happy in his new job :b .....

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: 05 June 2013, 07:00:32 am »
ive got confidence in ya paul!!....relay waiting ta post ;) .....ps, how did atb go on with larry the lambs mum???? :rolleyes ............

Clive me old mucker.......welcome back to the fold, ya dozy fart !!! hows ya bin? wot you up to? questions !!! me? new job........i`m the `geeeeeeeeeeeezer` on the bet victor ads......give us some odds on da match vic !!! :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin only pop on here now and again just to keep Paul on his uppers ! ;) only kidding Paolo :lol :lol :lol :lol
...missed you 2 buddy! ;) ...thought you,d passed on ta another forum?..ya know what ade?..funny you should mention that add??...i get a semi on"..each time its shown?...at least now i can put a name to herhim :b .....can i as your autograph :D ....keep safe!

:lol :lol :lol no worries mate,keep it up i need the motorvation  :rolleyes [size=78%].....not forgotten about the bet [/size] ;)

Paul

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: 05 June 2013, 08:41:11 am »
I had a plug cap problem some years ago.

I replaced the plug caps with pattern CX500 plug caps from M&P.

Never had a problem since.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: 05 June 2013, 09:08:59 am »
I had a plug cap problem some years ago.

I replaced the plug caps with pattern CX500 plug caps from M&P.

Never had a problem since.

hi paul.thanks for your input...i replaced the caps with some straight ngk ones,no change  :o  iam down to three possibilities now...............................................fuel pump
                                                    choke plungers
                                                    pick up coil

putting my money on the pick up coil but need to check the other two  ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: 09 June 2013, 10:04:16 am »
ive had a little tidy up in the garage this morning and dragged the 6 out into the daylight for the first time in a while  :rolleyes ..after a quick tidy i turned my attention to the STUTTERING ONE.....i think i may of found the problem !!!!!!!.....hope your all sitting down  ;) ......iam half way through adjusting the valve clearences and pulled the gen cover off to check the timing mark,,thats when i noticed the wiring on the pick-up coil,one is broken and another is worn through to the wire  :eek .....i could have finished off the broken wire when i took the cover off but it looks like its been rubbing for a long, long time .......got to order some shims to finish of the clearences but in the meantime i`ll put a wanted post on here for a pick-up coil and wiring.....i wonder is this the beginning of the end  :rolleyes .......book to follow  :lol

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: 09 June 2013, 12:48:09 pm »
ive had a little tidy up in the garage this morning and dragged the 6 out into the daylight for the first time in a while  :rolleyes ..after a quick tidy i turned my attention to the STUTTERING ONE.....i think i may of found the problem !!!!!!!.....hope your all sitting down  ;) ......iam half way through adjusting the valve clearences and pulled the gen cover off to check the timing mark,,thats when i noticed the wiring on the pick-up coil,one is broken and another is worn through to the wire  :eek .....i could have finished off the broken wire when i took the cover off but it looks like its been rubbing for a long, long time .......got to order some shims to finish of the clearences but in the meantime i`ll put a wanted post on here for a pick-up coil and wiring.....i wonder is this the beginning of the end  :rolleyes .......book to follow  :lol

filthy boy......there`s clinics around the country to sort that. good luck with the new revelation mate....won`t hold me breath :lol :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: 09 June 2013, 01:02:19 pm »
I think i recall someone saying check the wiring on the pick-up coil on page 1 of this post  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: 11 June 2013, 09:14:47 am »
met up with FAZERIDER last night who kindly donated a  pick up coil for the "stuttering one" top man, thank you FAZERIDER  :) ...waiting for valve shims to be delivered ,should be tomorrow at latest and then put it all back together with crossed fingers  ;)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: 11 June 2013, 10:54:31 am »
You're very welcome and it was a pleasure to meet you.
Will have to find an alternative to the A321 if I ever head up that direction again : Wokingham /Twyford was a blast, but south of that is misery. Aside from all the ruts, potholes and 30mph limits (with cameras) on the return leg I collected some tw@t in a hot hatch at Wokingham who insisted on driving 10ft from my rear wheel for the next 5 miles and then, when he finally turned off, used his horn to vent his frustration at me for going so slowly. Berk. Hopefully he'll have a clear run next time, past a waiting traffic cop.
Anyway, hope that coil does the trick. I'll expect an autographed copy when the hardback of this epic tale is published. :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: 11 June 2013, 11:36:57 am »
much better the other way FAZERIDER  :) ...A321 to wargrave onto henley,a4155 to marlow had a blast and got home just before dark........i`ll see if the london foccers want to come down your way on one of our monthly meets you`ll enjoy that,think we`re off to gt yarmouth next month parhaph august  ;) ....thanks again for your donation,book no1 reserved,no2 reserved for CRH who helped out with spare carbs  :)

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: 11 June 2013, 12:49:03 pm »
I think i recall someone saying check the wiring on the pick-up coil on page 1 of this post  :lol

I think you will find it was Red himself, in the very first post  ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: 11 June 2013, 02:26:56 pm »
i have said a fair bit on this thread  :o ....its a good bet that the problem has already been suggested  ;) ...but i`ve learnt a lot  :D

Andy Smith FZS

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Superbyke RMR 125 (Non Runner)
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: 11 June 2013, 04:17:15 pm »
The yam dealer in Glasgow mentioned jet ski plugs are a good shout.  100% waterproof.
Do the ht leads just screw into the coils? If it was tight it might looked sealed...

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: 11 June 2013, 04:32:44 pm »
The yam dealer in Glasgow mentioned jet ski plugs are a good shout.  100% waterproof.
Do the ht leads just screw into the coils? If it was tight it might looked sealed...

yep....leads are sealed into the coils....first time i`ve heard of "jet ski plugs"....sounds like a wind-up to me  :lol

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: 12 June 2013, 09:18:15 am »
much better the other way FAZERIDER  :) ...A321 to wargrave onto henley,a4155 to marlow had a blast and got home just before dark........i`ll see if the london foccers want to come down your way on one of our monthly meets you`ll enjoy that,think we`re off to gt yarmouth next month parhaph august  ;) ....thanks again for your donation,book no1 reserved,no2 reserved for CRH who helped out with spare carbs  :)
...paul, that would be a honor mate!..thankyou!...any explicit shots of atb on page 3 would also be nice? :b .....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: 12 June 2013, 10:10:34 am »
...paul, that would be a honor mate!..thankyou!...any explicit shots of atb on page 3 would also be nice? :b .....

ah yes....good old MORRIS  :lol ...i need reminding of your bet with MORRIS,iam sure he said carbs and you said sparks but cant remember what the prize was  ;)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: 12 June 2013, 10:20:37 am »
[/quote)...thats the trouble paul?..i do remember?..all ime going to say is?...KEEPING AWAY FROM WALES..for a very long time!!.... :eek :rolleyes :'(

ah yes....good old MORRIS  :lol ...i need reminding of your bet with MORRIS,iam sure he said carbs and you said sparks but cant remember what the prize was  ;)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: 14 June 2013, 12:09:04 pm »
red? please tell us youve sorted that 6 out?.....the suspenders are killin me!!!! :rolleyes .....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: 14 June 2013, 12:14:14 pm »
i`ll have to keep you in suspenders for a little while longer,working this weekend but might get a little fazer time  ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: 17 June 2013, 08:54:59 pm »
bit of progress with "the stuttering one" new shims in place , cams in,timing marks aligned and tensioner fitted,next job, check the clearences  ;)
« Last Edit: 23 June 2013, 02:37:49 pm by red98 »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: 23 June 2013, 08:55:42 am »
weekend off  :D :D :D  so lots of "fazer time"....checked clearences as new shims fitted,all within tollerences,rocker cover fitted,carbs fitted with throttle and choke cables connected,while carbs were off checked operation of choke plungers,no problems there,coil,fuel filter and pump refitted,tank and seat on.new pick up coil fitted,put battery on charge as a little low..........nice to have the time to spend on the old girl  ;) 

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: 23 June 2013, 09:07:32 am »
weekend off  :D :D :D  so lots of "fazer time"....checked clearences as new shims fitted,all within tollerences,rocker cover fitted,carbs fitted with throttle and choke cables connected,while carbs were off checked operation of choke plungers,no problems there,coil,fuel filter and pump refitted,tank and seat on.new pick up coil fitted,put battery on charge as a little low..........nice to have the time to spend on the old girl  ;) 
...........hi paul, fingers crossed for ya bud!!...only thing you havnt mentioned is ...tyre pressures  :rolleyes ..think you have covered every other possibility ;) .......................then........ROADTEST TIME???????????????

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: 23 June 2013, 06:56:07 pm »
no tax at moment so put the bike on the trailer and went down to local industrial estate,private road,and gave it a test ride,bike starts fine and revs freely all through the rev range,great.....pulls away no problems ,get to about 3000/4000 and its bogging down..almost as if running one 2/3 cylinders....the only thing i`ve changed since last time is the pick-up coil as broken/worn wire.and also ive set the mixture screws to 2.5 turns out,standard settings,when i first looked at the carbs they were set to something like 5 turns out and i had run it like this for the last 10 years,no problems....not sure of the effect in changing the settings ,anyone know more than me ?....it is getting better though,on the centre stand with no load on it its fine................ thinking of by-passing the fuel pump and filter next and maybe putting the mixture screws back to 5 turns....but i dont know why  :o