Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:34 am

Author Topic: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!  (Read 641703 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!
« Reply #3425 on: 24 November 2019, 08:30:58 pm »
Will the 4k 8k thing take off because I remember 3d, bbc were starting to broadcast stuff in it and then dropped it. There were lots of showcase vids on utube that were amazing but it seems to of died. I did not buy my tv because it had 3d but at the time big 55 inch tvs - you could not buy one without 3d. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: 24 November 2019, 09:32:55 pm »
Will the 4k 8k thing take off because I remember 3d, bbc were starting to broadcast stuff in it and then dropped it. There were lots of showcase vids on utube that were amazing but it seems to of died. I did not buy my tv because it had 3d but at the time big 55 inch tvs - you could not buy one without 3d.

I think 4k is already becoming the norm when buying a new TV and I've no doubt 8k will be next.
3d was different as that was more of a gimmick, it also required people to wear glasses and actively seek out 3d shows. Where as 4k, 8k, 16k are all just natural progressions in high definition.
Normal people wont have to do anything (other than upgrade their tvs eventually), itll be down to the broadcasters to start commissioning programmes filmed in the higher definition (as they did back when 720p hd first became a thing).
It wont be an overnight change, after all it's taken about 10 years for the majority of channels to be HD but I do think it'll be the future.

It's amazing how much difference it makes now that there used to it. I cant watch old programs in standard definition anymore... it's like watching through milk bottles haha

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: 24 November 2019, 10:04:51 pm »
Meanwhile the BBC still don’t broadcast local news on HD and you have to switch over to SD....

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: 24 November 2019, 10:08:17 pm »
Meanwhile the BBC still don’t broadcast local news on HD and you have to switch over to SD....
Yeh good point but I actually prefer to listen to the bird song than switch over to watch the local news 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: 25 November 2019, 07:03:36 am »

The majority of jobs we supply cameras for at work are 4K or above for HD cameras. Film has always been very high detailed resolution anyway, they always have, but we never had the tv's to show it off in the past.
Now we do, which is why we can see really old feature films on tv that more or less look like they were shot yesterday.
So from a viewing point of view, and to future proof yourself (for a while anyway) then if you're buying a new telly then buy a 4K one, even more so as they're so damn cheap right now.
People must understand too that not everything is shot using the highest quality available due to budget, whether that be a simple switch from 35mm film to 16mm, or to save money people will change a cameras pull down rate from 4 perforations per frame of film, to 3 perf, and occasionally even 2 perf, to save money on film stock. The result, obviously, is a drop in quality, which will get noticed on a tv screen, especially the over sized ones.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: 25 November 2019, 10:12:33 am »
Probably cant even get a non 4k tv now when looking at 55 size and above like back when I brought my 3d one. Actually on the subject of 3d i have a few bulerays in 3d but if I were needing to replace it, could I even get one.     

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3431 on: 25 November 2019, 10:19:08 am »
:agree

We bought a 3D TV a few years ago when my son worked in Currys and was convinced it was the next big thing. What a waste of money that was. Especially as my Mrs cannot watch 3D stuff due to eye issues
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: 25 November 2019, 05:14:54 pm »
:agree

We bought a 3D TV a few years ago when my son worked in Currys and was convinced it was the next big thing. What a waste of money that was. Especially as my Mrs cannot watch 3D stuff due to eye issues
Passive or active. Does the glasses need Battery 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: 25 November 2019, 07:14:58 pm »
There were too many issues involved with shooting in 3D, it was a nightmare setting the gear up and was extremely time consuming, plus there were limitations at what you could actually do.
Some things did look quite good, but in general it was very gimmicky and having to wear the glasses was a nuisance.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: 25 November 2019, 07:19:14 pm »
There were too many issues involved with shooting in 3D, it was a nightmare setting the gear up and was extremely time consuming, plus there were limitations at what you could actually do.
Some things did look quite good, but in general it was very gimmicky and having to wear the glasses was a nuisance.
I noticed when bbc showed Wimbledon in 3d but they used a low lower angle for effect and it was not as good viewing than the normal position which was higher.
On the other hand its the only time I watched tennis. 

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3435 on: 25 November 2019, 08:02:31 pm »
Passive or active. Does the glasses need Battery 

No batteries required for ours but the Mrs has tried both types of TV (at the time) and neither worked for her
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: 27 November 2019, 02:30:21 pm »
Some terrestrial Playback TV and Film channels, now offer (at extra cost) the option of watching in 4K.

We were shopping for a new TV quite recently and it wasn't the max resolution but another technology in the makeup of the TV that made the clarify absolutely superb. There was a demo playing of some fire up the screen and it almost looked like it was lapping out at you. The colours were SO crisp and vivid.

Alot of new Action cameras (such as GoPro), also Drones, will record in 4K video as standard. Some upto 5.7K. However the storage requirements, recording at such a resolution is massive compared to the popular 1080p. Also post editing, its far easier and quicker working with a smaller 1080p clip over a 4K equivalent (that requires a high performance computer also).

Plus producers (on youtube) know 4K TV isn't (yet) the norm, so no reason recording in 4K when its just a guy riding down the road with a camera on the side of his helmet, or a sporting event etc.

Later Playstation consoles offer 4K games. Which is the opposite to scaling down a real piece of footage (for the above reasons) - instead wanting to play in 4K+, to enhance the lifelike effects and realism in games.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: 27 November 2019, 02:40:55 pm »
I noticed when bbc showed Wimbledon in 3d but they used a low lower angle for effect and it was not as good viewing than the normal position which was higher.
On the other hand its the only time I watched tennis.

It wasn't "for effect", one of the drawbacks is 3D didn't work at certain angles, and also no good for wide angle shots.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: 28 November 2019, 11:19:16 am »
People offloading their family heirlooms on 'Flog It' for tuppence ha'penny, who when asked why on earth are they selling the cigarette case that deflected the bullet from Grandad during WW1, come out with tosh like.... "It's just sitting in a drawer doing nothing" :groan

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: 28 November 2019, 12:29:51 pm »
It's when they sell grandad because 'he's sitting in a chair doing nothing' we need to worry  :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: 28 November 2019, 01:41:27 pm »

It's when they sell grandad because 'he's sitting in a chair doing nothing' we need to worry  :lol

:rollin :rollin :rollin

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: 01 December 2019, 04:48:57 pm »

Restaurants that have those poxy salt & pepper grinders filled with rock salt and pepper corns.

There's nothing worse than crunching down on a foccin great boulder of salt when you're tucking in to your steak and chips :wall

Whatever's wrong with shakers? :rolleyes

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: 01 December 2019, 06:48:49 pm »
Restaurants that have those poxy salt & pepper grinders filled with rock salt and pepper corns.
That's proper.  :thumbup

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: 01 December 2019, 07:01:45 pm »
I just KNEW when I posted it you'd be the one to come out with that! :rollin :rollin :rollin

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: 01 December 2019, 07:19:15 pm »
Rock salt? At least they put it in those handy bins at the side of the road. Often pop out to fill up the salt cellar  :)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: 02 December 2019, 04:05:46 pm »
Bus drivers who pull a face when you try to pay with any denomination note or anything other than the exact coinage.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: 02 December 2019, 04:51:02 pm »
Bus drivers who pull a face when you try to pay with any denomination note or anything other than the exact coinage.
A bus?  Really.  A bus?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: 02 December 2019, 05:05:40 pm »
Bus travel is cashless dahn sarf.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2019, 05:08:28 pm by robbo »
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: 02 December 2019, 06:03:46 pm »

A bus?  Really.  A bus?

Yeah a bus. It's a big red box on wheels full of people. Boris likes making cardboard models of them :lol

Transport for the masses. Got a problem with that? ;)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: 02 December 2019, 06:08:39 pm »

Bus travel is cashless dahn sarf.

It might be, but I'm not :lol . I try to use cash wherever possible otherwise it just gives them an excuse to do away with it.

I still insist on taxing all my fleet at the Post Office as well so that have to keep them open ;)