Date: 29-03-24  Time: 02:09 am

Author Topic: Auld Foccers Weekly Covid Check in Page.  (Read 5687 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Auld Foccers Weekly Covid Check in Page.
« Reply #50 on: 07 May 2020, 03:10:23 pm »
Glad you're ok mate.

Any idea why bikes aren't allowed? I don't have any other transport and I live in the arse-end of nowhere when it comes to testing (a friend of mine was told she would have to travel 2 hours to get tested), so if I did need to get tested the fazer's my only choice.

I would imagine it has to do with the helmet. You would need to remove it to give them access for the test which in turn would require you to be in proximity for too long. As I understand it the tests are done through your car window and take less than 30 seconds, you literally pull up, get tested then drive away.
I couldn't see why you couldn't do it with an open face helmet though 🤔 of course your more at risk riding there and back with one of those budy things though haha

And glad to hear the good news darrsi 👍
« Last Edit: 07 May 2020, 03:11:46 pm by Dudeofrude »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 07 May 2020, 03:53:03 pm »
Glad you're ok mate.

Any idea why bikes aren't allowed? I don't have any other transport and I live in the arse-end of nowhere when it comes to testing (a friend of mine was told she would have to travel 2 hours to get tested), so if I did need to get tested the fazer's my only choice.

I can only guess it's because you're going into a potentially hazardous environment, and we were not allowed to put our windows down at all until the car was stopped at the testing bay.
Also on a busy day in bad weather you may slow things up when they need to keep scanning your phone.

Unfortunately it's not as quick as suggested either.
Two of us got tested, and each time they need to confirm your details, organise a receipt for you, get appropriate paperwork sorted per person, then the test itself, etc.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 07 May 2020, 03:55:20 pm »
Glad you're ok mate.

I would imagine it has to do with the helmet. You would need to remove it to give them access for the test which in turn would require you to be in proximity for too long. As I understand it the tests are done through your car window and take less than 30 seconds, you literally pull up, get tested then drive away.
I couldn't see why you couldn't do it with an open face helmet though 🤔 of course your more at risk riding there and back with one of those budy things though haha

There are signs all over to keep your windows closed at all times, you open it only when told to do so. I was told to open it so they could hand me a tissue to blow my nose, they don't want bogies all over the swab, and had to close it while I blew my nose, then told to open it again so they could do the throat and nose swabs. Then immediately had to close it again. They even scanned the code for the test through the closed window, it is to lessen the risk of the staff being potentially exposed to the virus as there will obviously be some people being tested who are positive.

When I booked my slot there was a option to do an at home test, but it would have to be posted to you and then posted back, how long would that take?
Also with a home test how could you be sure that you had done it correctly, as darrsi says it is a bit uncomfortable when they do it as they get the swab quite far.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 07 May 2020, 04:07:10 pm »
Glad you're ok mate.

There are signs all over to keep your windows closed at all times, you open it only when told to do so. I was told to open it so they could hand me a tissue to blow my nose, they don't want bogies all over the swab, and had to close it while I blew my nose, then told to open it again so they could do the throat and nose swabs. Then immediately had to close it again. They even scanned the code for the test through the closed window, it is to lessen the risk of the staff being potentially exposed to the virus as there will obviously be some people being tested who are positive.

When I booked my slot there was a option to do an at home test, but it would have to be posted to you and then posted back, how long would that take?
Also with a home test how could you be sure that you had done it correctly, as darrsi says it is a bit uncomfortable when they do it as they get the swab quite far.

Personally I would've preferred a home test kit, but after trying for one I got to the end of the registration form and it said I needed to use a test station.
Home kits are dealt with by couriers, it wouldn't take long for results i reckon.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Farmboy81

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 07 May 2020, 04:21:58 pm »
Thanks guys, I was mostly just curious. I have a modular helmet, so I'd be able to flip the front up for the testing, but I'd have a hell of a job trying to blow my nose with it closed....

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 07 May 2020, 04:29:30 pm »
The other test however (possibly available soon at a cost) is the Antibody one, which shows if you have antibodies in your system from previously trying to fight off an infection which then stay in your body in case they're needed again in the future.
Get a Positive reading for that one and you have a green light as "theoretically" you should now be immune. This is not 100% guaranteed that you can't be infected again, due to the way that viruses mutate, but even still your body would most certainly cope with any reinfection much better than it would have done without these antibodies, without a doubt. 
We’ve got anti-body tests at work.  There may be different types of anti-body test.  I enquired last week about being tested.  I don’t meet the criteria.  I had symptoms that fit covid19 at the end of February and beginning of March.  The test we have must be carried out within 14 days of recovery. 

Virologists expect that people would have at least three months immunity after having had Covid19.  It might turn out to be life time immunity, or just the three months.

As for fighting the infection a second time having a better outcome than the first time – who knows – better if you still have the anti-bodies, but how long will you have them for?

Can’t help thinking about shingles.  You first get it as chickenpox, but it stays in your body after you recover.  Then it can reappear as shingles.  I’ve had shingles twice.  The first time it was nasty, but after two weeks I recovered and wondered what all the fuss was about.  Last year I got it again, took me four weeks to recover, and the thought of ever having it again doesn’t bear thinking about – it was foccin absolute hell. 

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 31 May 2020, 11:32:00 am »
as title just checking in....ive had 6 wks of furlough and been back at work for 3 weeks now,a full week next week and then over the next 8 weeks i will be taking another 4 weeks on furlough due to lack of work, half the work force on the other half off...that will take me into august, cant see orders picking up by then so iam guessing that will be extended with my employer picking up part of the furlough payment...only two of us in my department, the other guy is coming up for retirement in 8 weeks time, hes been in this trade for 51 years and could well finish his time on furlough...not the best way to finish 51 years of service...
One, is never going to be enough.....

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 31 May 2020, 02:38:24 pm »
Checking in

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 31 May 2020, 07:04:14 pm »
Just checking in :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 01 June 2020, 09:48:18 am »
checking in.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 03 June 2020, 07:37:11 pm »
as title just checking in....ive had 6 wks of furlough and been back at work for 3 weeks now,a full week next week and then over the next 8 weeks i will be taking another 4 weeks on furlough due to lack of work, half the work force on the other half off...that will take me into august, cant see orders picking up by then so iam guessing that will be extended with my employer picking up part of the furlough payment...only two of us in my department, the other guy is coming up for retirement in 8 weeks time, hes been in this trade for 51 years and could well finish his time on furlough...not the best way to finish 51 years of service...

I had to go back on Monday, the guy they temporarily promoted to take my place had a massive heart  attack at home on Friday , and sadly died. Only 55 years old and seemed to be in good health, life is just shite sometimes.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 03 June 2020, 08:56:32 pm »

I had to go back on Monday, the guy they temporarily promoted to take my place had a massive heart  attack at home on Friday , and sadly died. Only 55 years old and seemed to be in good health, life is just shite sometimes.

WOW  :eek I have been reading that covid may well turn out to be a cardiovascular disease or at the least have big links to it, wonder if he had Covid     
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 04 June 2020, 09:19:21 pm »
WOW  :eek I have been reading that covid may well turn out to be a cardiovascular disease or at the least have big links to it, wonder if he had Covid   

Yup see the link I posted top of page 98 on the Covid thread.  Sorry to hear about Slappy’s work mate.  If it was Covid related you would expect him to be showing strong symptoms.   55 – that’s nae good – no good at all. The blood disease theory is that the virus uses the respiratory tract as a route into your blood. Ie – I think – that means it damages your lungs in order to access blood vessels.  Causes severe inflammation of blood vessels, blockages and finally organ failure.  It’s brutal.
The theory is coming together from both those treating patients, and the brave individuals who have volunteered to carry out autopsy on some of those who have died.
It is actually potentially good news.  They can start to treat and fight this new aspect of the disease.
Further – again potentially – good news is Italian Doctors are reporting reduced viral load from new admissions.  That suggests the virus may be evolving and becoming weaker. 
Anyway, sorry, the Covid thread is there for such discussion.
Oh, yeah, still alive……..stay safe.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 04 June 2020, 09:45:53 pm »

I don't think we will ever know if he had Covid or not, he wasn't showing any noticeable symptoms at work, we get our temperature taken before we are allowed into the  facility , anything over the norm and you are sent straight home.
Anyway this thread is meant to be for people checking in that they are ok, as VNA says there is another thread to discuss other Covid related issues, so good news only from now on I hope.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 04 June 2020, 10:15:33 pm »
 Sorry if I wandered further off topic there.
And, again, sorry to hear about your work colleague’s untimely passing Slappy. 
Hope everybody is good.