Date: 29-03-24  Time: 02:29 am

Author Topic: I might be back too!  (Read 2232 times)

Brandane

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR 800 Vtec
    • View Profile
I might be back too!
« on: 16 September 2015, 09:09:39 am »
It's been too long; so long that I forgot my old username and log in details. I used to have a box eye Fazer 600, 1998 in black. Stupidly sold it when I got made redundant about 6 years ago. Wasn't redundant long, so bought another bike but it is a Honda CBF600F and just doesn't do it for me.
I have seen advertised a luvverly yellow fox eye FZS600, and it is just sooooo tempting.
One question; I remember there was a problem with the front sprocket nut on some FZS600's but can't find the thread about it. What years were affected? I know it is an easy mod with the wider nut - just as long as the threads haven't already stripped.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: I might be back too!
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2015, 11:41:09 am »
The sprocket nut issue affected all the FZS600 produced, right up to the change of motor for the FZ6 in mid-2003 when they had to switch to fuel injection+cat.
Might be worth whipping the sprocket cover off any FZS600 you go to look at just to check the condition... but even if it's been bodged and the nut's welded on it's not that big a deal to grind the weld away at c&s replacement time, I ran mine for years like that.

Brandane

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR 800 Vtec
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2015, 03:37:26 pm »
The sprocket nut issue affected all the FZS600 produced, right up to the change of motor for the FZ6 in mid-2003 when they had to switch to fuel injection+cat.
Might be worth whipping the sprocket cover off any FZS600 you go to look at just to check the condition... but even if it's been bodged and the nut's welded on it's not that big a deal to grind the weld away at c&s replacement time, I ran mine for years like that.

Thanks for the reply. The bike I am interested in is a fair distance away (Surrey, and I'm in Ayrshire!) so it might not happen unless I can figure out a way of getting down there to see it before someone beats me to it. Not going to be buying blind and having it delivered.

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2015, 08:35:12 pm »
Hello. You may not know this but foc-u changed boards a few years ago. All the old posts are at http://fazerowners.yuku.com/

There's a sprocket nut thread in its Archive board (near the bottom).

Actually, you could look through the archive to see if you find any of your old posts and therefore your username!

Brandane

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR 800 Vtec
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2015, 03:15:46 pm »
Hello. You may not know this but foc-u changed boards a few years ago. All the old posts are at http://fazerowners.yuku.com/

There's a sprocket nut thread in its Archive board (near the bottom).

Actually, you could look through the archive to see if you find any of your old posts and therefore your username!

Thanks for that, I didn't realise there had been a change. That would explain why I couldn't log in then, despite guessing my user name correctly! It is the same name as on here.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2015, 11:48:11 pm »

Brandane

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR 800 Vtec
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 September 2015, 11:02:25 pm »
Achh well, I wasn't back for long! Went to look at a Fazer 600 today and it was a bit scruffy. Then my eye caught this beauty and the deal was done. 2002 VFR800 ..........

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2015, 08:42:35 am »
Nice machine, Well wear, keep a spare regulator/rectifier handy. :thumbup

What mileage is on it?
Valve clearances are a very expensive thing to have done, especially if not within the adjustment range and must be checked every 16000 miles. :'(
Having the valve clearances checked and proof of same actually increases the value of them. :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2015, 09:44:26 am »
I like those vfr vtecs....they still look modern......considered one myself and as i dont do motorway or commuting the annoying glitch where the vtec comes in wouldnt have concerned me.hope you enjoy it 8)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Brandane

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR 800 Vtec
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2015, 09:09:17 pm »
Nice machine, Well wear, keep a spare regulator/rectifier handy. :thumbup

What mileage is on it?
Valve clearances are a very expensive thing to have done, especially if not within the adjustment range and must be checked every 16000 miles. :'(
Having the valve clearances checked and proof of same actually increases the value of them. :)

It's just on 30k miles, so another 2k miles before I have to re-mortgage to get it serviced. Around £500 I have read. I don't do a lot of bike miles, so it should do for a while before the next big service. Running costs are certainly going to be higher than the Fazer would have been  :eek . Nice bike though, and should hold it's value if it turns out to be too much of a cash drain.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2015, 10:36:54 pm »
Was there history with it and were the valves ever checked. It is either 2000 miles away from being checked or 14000 miles over due.
However the valve clearances can be pretty stable on them, but would be nice to know and have peace of mind.
The main reason for the expense is that the cams need to be removed and installed twice and there are 4 of them to complete the checking process and not many of the smaller shops will have the Vtec locking tools.
Great workhorse and comfy tourer although I preferred the pre vtec to ride as I did not like the Vtec kick, have a friend who had a silver one and loved it. He put 12000 miles on it and the vtec kick never bothered him.

Enjoy it.