Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:08 am

Author Topic: Clock Lights Dim  (Read 4281 times)

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
Clock Lights Dim
« on: 21 October 2019, 07:26:43 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm imaging it or not but the lights on my clocks now appear quite dim.  Same for the odometer display. 

She doesn't get used in the dark during the summer so it's not like I've noticed it before.  Given I only bought the bike in Feb and used it rarely in the dark there's a good chance they've always been like it.

Does anybody else think that the display is on the dim side?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Clock Lights Dim
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2019, 08:21:18 pm »
Have you tried changing the bulbs?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2019, 08:51:08 pm »
Have you got your dark visor on. I actually did this in the daylight once and thought my neutral and turn signal clock lights were a bit dim. :rollin   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2019, 09:11:15 pm »
I've not changed the bulbs no as it's universal across all the bulbs.  They're all working.

I've a clear visor for winter Fazersharp....I'm a good boy like that. 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2019, 09:35:27 pm »
Do you really want the clock glaring at you in the dark?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2019, 10:27:59 pm »
Might be dust in the inside of the glass, easy enough to take off the clock cover and clean it.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2019, 10:45:09 am »
The little capless bulbs do tend to go a bit black inside over time and not a huge job to replace all of them. Probably some LED versions available too.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2019, 10:26:51 am »
As above. They can get a build-up on the outside of the glass over time, which will reduce the light intensity.

Would be worth opening the Clock unit and checking all bulbs are lit on the insude, with none blown.
Replacing them for LED alternatives might be something to consider.

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2019, 11:25:58 am »
They're not blown, just a bit dim.  It could be that they've blackened a bit but given that's it universally dim across both dials I'm more inclined to think that that's just how it is.

If I can be bothered I'll pull them out to look and consider replacing them, if not I'll just put up with it.  It's not exactly mission critical.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2019, 12:31:31 am »
They're not blown, just a bit dim.  It could be that they've blackened a bit but given that's it universally dim across both dials I'm more inclined to think that that's just how it is.

If I can be bothered I'll pull them out to look and consider replacing them, if not I'll just put up with it.  It's not exactly mission critical.
It has actually got me thinking because in the car I can control the clocks brightness,yet given that I am in the cars shell I don't really need to alter anything but on a bike you a are subject to the surrounding ambient light.Surly it would not be too difficult to implement a lux controlled clock lighting regime on a bike         

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2019, 06:32:08 am »

It has actually got me thinking because in the car I can control the clocks brightness,yet given that I am in the cars shell I don't really need to alter anything but on a bike you a are subject to the surrounding ambient light.Surly it would not be too difficult to implement a lux controlled clock lighting regime on a bike       

:D

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2019, 05:28:38 pm »

:D

:thumbup :rollin :rollin :rollin

bridgeman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 October 2019, 06:13:09 pm »
The clocks are dim    I fitted a set of blue leds  I got from ebay .   nice and bright now just right .

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 October 2019, 07:25:42 pm »
The clocks are dim    I fitted a set of blue leds  I got from ebay .   nice and bright now just right .

I reckon I might just do that.  After I install the gear indicator I've had for a month staring at me on the workbench.  I keep going for that imaginary 7th gear.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 October 2019, 08:14:58 pm »
Someone on here swapped their clock bulbs for LED ones and one after another they failed. Not sure what the story is but maybe they were cheap Chinese from ebay. Probably LEDs are all Chinese but - you get the idea. 

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 October 2019, 02:13:38 pm »
Someone on here swapped their clock bulbs for LED ones and one after another they failed. Not sure what the story is but maybe they were cheap Chinese from ebay. Probably LEDs are all Chinese but - you get the idea.

That happened to me, but I persisted, trying different bulb types and eventually found some that haven't given up the ghost and are still working now.  If I remember rightly, they were ones that use SMB LEDs.

fazerfan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 November 2019, 06:15:33 pm »
No photo description available.

Photos of my recent bulb update. Examples (top to bottom) of clear, original, incandescent bulb and a similar faded one. Both originals worked but half the display was almost unlit. And one of the LED replacements I've used. If you use LEDs remember they must be installed the correct way round or they won't work (but won't be damaged). Simply turn it round. I've left the oil warning light as incandescent as I'll be unsure its the correct way round until disaster occurs. And don't remove all the Haynes manual suggests so leave mirrors, fairing etc in place. Remove the visor then undo the three instrument cluster retaining nuts and washers. Hope this helps..

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 November 2019, 07:13:53 pm »
When you press the start button the oil warning light is grounded through the cut off relay so the oil light should come on. It's a bulb test. You could use that to check that the oil light led is in correctly. If you turn the kill switch off you can hold the start button in and the light will come on without the engine starting.

fazerfan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 November 2019, 08:07:06 pm »
Excellent feedback. Thanks for that.  If anyone is tempted to replace all the bulbs there are 9.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 November 2019, 08:29:59 pm »
When you press the start button the oil warning light is grounded through the cut off relay so the oil light should come on. It's a bulb test. You could use that to check that the oil light led is in correctly. If you turn the kill switch off you can hold the start button in and the light will come on without the engine starting.
I am pretty sure that my mk 1 does not do that ( have had the bulb briefly come on) after exiting a particularly nice roundabout so I know it works. But an egg cup full of oil to top up sorted that.  ;) :D       
« Last Edit: 04 November 2019, 08:30:51 pm by fazersharp »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 November 2019, 09:38:25 pm »
It's on the 98 wiring diagram. You can see it if you follow the ground side of the oil level bulb. The bulb has two paths to ground, one path goes from the bulb to cut off relay to oil level switch to ground so the bulb gets ground when the oil level switch is closed, when the the oil level drops. The other path is from the bulb to cut off relay to alarm connector to start button to ground so the bulb gets ground when the start button is pressed.

The wiring diagram shows a direct connection between the cut off relay and the start button. That is a mistake. There is no direction connection, that was pointed out by unfazed here http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=25456.msg300493#msg300493

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 November 2019, 09:54:39 pm »
Or the less scientific way to convince yourself, have a look on Youtube at people starting Fazers, you will see the red oil light come on briefly when they press the start button and go off when the release it

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 November 2019, 09:59:10 pm »
Or the less scientific way to convince yourself, have a look on Youtube at people starting Fazers, you will see the red oil light come on briefly when they press the start button and go off when the release it
I will make and extra effort to look out for it the next time I go for a spin

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 November 2019, 12:02:58 pm »
Light comes on with the starter but on my MK1 1999

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 November 2019, 12:19:07 pm »
Fazerfan,

Do you have a link to where you got those bulbs from?  That way I can buy them and they'll sit next to my gear indicator for 3 months whilst I find some motivation to change them.

Not in a rush as it's pretty wet out there and my Fazer isn't going to touch the tarmac whilst it's anything less than dry.  She might melt....