Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:47 pm

Author Topic: The Jock vote  (Read 33435 times)

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
Re: The Jock vote
« Reply #225 on: 04 July 2015, 10:08:39 pm »
oh dear not a vote in yet for the Scots  :rollin :rollin :rollin
Must be something to do with the weather, at least with Scotland gone we will not need to be bored with the football results from the SPL
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: 05 July 2015, 10:59:54 am »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3147966/Sturgeon-threatens-new-independence-referendum-SNP-clash-Tories-English-votes-English-laws-plan.html

Ooooo don't you just love the Daily Mail.

Referendum?  Not sure we will need one.

It looks like the SNP will do the impossible twice - that is hold a majority in a coalition parliament - come 2016.  You have to understand that the Scottish parliament was designed by the English so that the SNP could never hold a majority and that there could never ever be a referendum on Scottish Independence.  But it looks like not only will the SNP do the impossible twice but they will in all probability increase their majority.  Though of course 10 months is a very long time in politics. 

But if the SNP do perform as currently expected, and with 56 SNP seats out of 59 in the English parliament, well I would argue that come the summer of 2016 we won't need a referendum.  It's a simple mater of declaring Scotland Independent. 
 The SNP would have the mandate to do so.  Just a thought.

In the referendum, most voters didn't want an independent Scotland.
Before the last election, if I remember correctly, a new referendum wasn't in their manifesto.
Yet some people think that 56 SNP seats now means most people want an independent Scotland. It doesn't.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/04/nicola-sturgeon-refuses-to-rule-out-a-second-referendum/

But in order to sustain that momentum to polling day, Sturgeon needs to reassure nervous former ‘no’ voters who are considering voting SNP in order to exert the sort of left-wing pressure on Labour that Sturgeon promises. So today on Marr, she insisted that a vote for the SNP was not a vote for independence, that the circumstances would have to change significantly before another referendum came up.

« Last Edit: 05 July 2015, 11:15:27 am by Phil »

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 05 July 2015, 12:40:32 pm »
The circumstances have changed significantly though, Sturgeon is a woman :eek and she has changed her mind. :lol

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 05 July 2015, 01:43:06 pm »
OK, I'm not politically minded and haven't been following the great debate.

But, as I live in England, how does it effect me if Scotland leaves?
Should I give a monkeys either way?

Not really. Anyway the UK will leave Europe by 2025 and the edge of the Solar System by 2050. Common sense.

Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: 05 July 2015, 06:34:32 pm »
Fair points Phil,

In the referendum, most voters didn't want an independent Scotland.

55% voted NO.  But 'Better Together' were panicking in the last few weeks of the campaign - the gap was closing fast and it looked as if a YES vote would be delivered.  So what did they do - they came up with 'The Vow' - a promise of new and real powers for Scotland, it sounded like 'devo max' or federalism was on offer (the option NO originally refused to have on the ballot paper).  But of course two other wee things happened - NO effectively tore up and binned the Edinburgh Agreement that set out the rules for the referendum, and subsequently those who voted in the postal ballot actually took part in a different referendum than those who voted at the polling station.

Further, on the morning of the result, Cameron spoke not of new Scottish powers but English votes for English laws.

Many of those who voted NO did so with a heavy heart, many also believed 'The Vow', many felt conned and insulted when Cameron spoke on that Friday morning.

Before the last election, if I remember correctly, a new referendum wasn't in their manifesto.

The last UK election I take you mean.  Well no.  If it was in there, well it can't be delivered can it, not even if the SNP won every single Scottish seat - which they nearly did.

Yet some people think that 56 SNP seats now means most people want an independent Scotland. It doesn't.

I'm sure some people do, but the Scottish electorate is surprisingly canny, yes many No voters voted for the SNP, and I, a YES voter voted Labour.

I was pleased to see Labour tanked at the election in Scotland, but sorry to loose a first class MP in Katie Clark - I was not impressed with the SNP candidate.  Sadly I felt voters were not quite canny enougth in North Ayrshire.

So YES, some people still think the YES campaign was an SNP campaign, and that all YES voters are SNP members. 

Clearly things are a wee bit mare complicated than that.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 08 July 2015, 08:34:24 am »
the useless 56, all sittin on their fat arses doin nothing but moaning, but claiming max expenses and drawing a salary that would choke a horse--Foc them all. :pc

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: 08 July 2015, 01:50:08 pm »
the useless 56, all sittin on their fat arses doin nothing but moaning, but claiming max expenses and drawing a salary that would choke a horse--Foc them all. :pc

Well to be fair the other 594 are exactly the same :D

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 28 October 2015, 08:53:50 am »
There will always be those who are comforted by the yoke..without sufficient wherewithal to understand that as an outpost of Empire their Country exists merely to underwrite irresponsible budget after irresponsible budget from Westminster. Todays news..no more Bobbies on the beat say the Met, Hospital ward closures, Tax credits reforms slapped down, Getting the Chinese to build a nuclear weapon on UK soil (They don't need Trident) then paying the French to run it. Instead of using the money from a never to be deployed weapon to build British Nuclear capability. Shut down the Steelworks..Buy Chinese steel...and all the while the Fat Cats get Fatter and the only growth industry is food banking. Frankly ENGLAND should be voting SNP! Your other options are hell bent on self serving Armageddon or hand wringing liberalism. And what of the SNP record..oooooo they had a surplus from the pittance Westminster decrees they may have back out of the Billions handed over and not realised in Scotland from the EEC ..yes George Osborne..they did provide free education, they did look after the elderly and no they didn't have enough to build hospitals etc.some may say they are far better at managing limited resources than George..who is completely discredited, continues to borrow and sulks behind his equally fatuous mate the Pig Minister where someone in the Lords tell him he's being a dick....
The Frying Scotsman

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: 28 October 2015, 03:42:51 pm »
Looks like someone got out of wrong side of bed !

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 28 October 2015, 07:49:24 pm »
Wow, have to say I completely agree with Big Mac!  :eek

The Tories are absolutely screwing us.  It's so completely fucked up.