Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:56 pm

Author Topic: LED handguard lights  (Read 12436 times)

MightyClown

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
LED handguard lights
« on: 26 February 2012, 10:45:32 pm »
Hello Everyone,

Here are the Acerbis Dual Road hand guards, i've had them for around 18 months now.  They do make a small difference to the wind blast and let you keep using your summer gloves slightly longer.   One advantage is that they do keep some of the rain off when riding (> 30 mph) and that is useful.

Anyway,   Acerbis sell LED lights for them but looking on eBay these LED strips are popular ([size=78%]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-UNDER-CAR-MOTORCYCLE-VAN-SMD-Led-Light-Strip-RED-UK-/220704792554?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336307dfea[/size]) If you search for LED SMD you'll see loads of adverts for these 5m spools of LED strips.  They run on 12V so are fine to wire into the bike. 

I had to slightly mod the Acerbis clear plastic strip with the dremel but the LED strip fits a treat.  It's nice and bright and gives the bike a wider look.  You can see from the 4th photo i put some heatshrink on the wires and they provide a neat installation.   

The clear plastic on the handguards has a slight blue tint, very slight.  If it was completely clear the lights would be as bright as those LEDs fitted to new cars as daylight running lights.

I have a Fuze Block (www.fuzeblocks.com) fitted (great device, would highly recommend) and as this is a switched live i have the LEDs some on with the ignition.  The LEDs draw milliamps so no power issues occur,  i've also taken out my sidelights (5w each, 10w total) as they were a little redundant with the LEDs in the handguard.

I hope the post is useful to others thinking about this type of thing, or just to highlight these LED strisp which do allow some innovative mods to occur.

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: LED handguard lights
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2012, 09:20:14 pm »
Thats amazing.

Ive been wanting some hand guards for a while now....also been wanting to add some DRL's...they tick both boxes.

So the LED's aren't offical Acerbis ones?

As soon as i get paid im doing this.

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2012, 09:40:34 pm »
Acerbis do do led lights for those handguards, but they are expensive! Looks like fitting LED strips off t'internet is a good idea. I looked into these for my supermoto, using them as indicators, but could only find white LEDs so no use to me. Interesting to see someone using handguards on these bikes, I had been thinking about fitting some my self, might look into it further now I've seen them fitted.

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2012, 07:04:20 am »
I think the Acrebis LED kit is about £20, the hand guards are £65 - £80.

The other option is using the V-strom 650 hand guards that a lot of Fazer owners use but then adding some BikeVis bullet LED's to them. Might cost a bit more and be a bit more work but the hand guards are bigger so have better protection.

I don't know who I'm kidding actually saying I'm going to do this.....LED's use wires....and wires need wiring....and wiring to me is like black magic, a total mystery!  :'(

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2012, 09:16:32 am »
I fancy fitting handguards, i use muffs in winter to great effect but an all year round middle ground that looked ok would be nice. fitting the LED's is a nice touch and i think looks great.
personaly i would prefer they were amber and indicator wired if it was available as an option though.
just dont have the cash to play with

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2012, 08:35:05 pm »
I fitted some of these about 2 months ago and they do help to keep wind off,but they are quite expensive.I bid on some used ones as they came up on ebay but the bidding always went close to the price of new ones so i eventually bit the bullet.Those led strips look a lot better than i would have thought,i might have a look at fitting some.

squitbit

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2012, 10:30:35 pm »
Anyone considered putting amber or orange clear film over them? Don't know the way the LED's are finished but it could help someone turn them into indicators. Looks good as they are though, nice one fella!

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 February 2012, 08:51:53 am »
Anyone considered putting amber or orange clear film over them? Don't know the way the LED's are finished but it could help someone turn them into indicators. Looks good as they are though, nice one fella!

don't know where i read it but i read something about how you can use them as indicators, was probably some blurb from Acrebis.

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 February 2012, 09:18:52 am »
I fitted some of these about 2 months ago and they do help to keep wind off,but they are quite expensive.I bid on some used ones as they came up on ebay but the bidding always went close to the price of new ones so i eventually bit the bullet.Those led strips look a lot better than i would have thought,i might have a look at fitting some.

easy to do with led relay and you can get amber strips as shown on mine but just as easy to fit to handguards

"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 February 2012, 09:23:25 am »
oops wrong quote but you get the meaning lol
did this as i have the headlight protector covers on with no fear eyes so therefor put spotlights were indicators go for daytime riding (covers come off at night) and used the led amber strips for indicators
Bobs ye uncle fannys ye aunt and all was well at the mot :)
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

MightyClown

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 February 2012, 03:57:39 pm »
You can buy Orange LED strips so you could have indicators in the handguards.

The Acerbis handguards work well as the LEDs fit behind the clear plastic cover.  This gives a neater appearance than sticking on the led strips to the outside of the handguard.

The only slight negative ont eh indicator idea is that the clear plastic cover on the handguards does have a slight blue tint so it may affect the colour of the indicator.

My other idea for running lights was to fit the LEDs to the plastic radiator guards.  The wiring wouldn't be visible and it might look good.   

I've bought a roll of Red LEDs to fit to the Givi top box and i'll post a detailed review of that once it's complete.  It should give people a good understanding of how to cut and fit the LEDs

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 February 2012, 06:44:42 pm »
I had multi colour choice LED's fitted inside the rad guards for a while, still have some fitted to the inside of the belly pan, side pannels (they have been cut out and meshed), under tank and under the rear end. oh and under the clocks to lol forgot about those allmost.
did have as i said in the rad sides and under the front mudguard (again i have meshed cut outs on a carbon guard) but i had a set play up so removed some rather than buy more.

looks nice at night but because of where i placed them you cant realy see them indaylight and are totaly hidden when not lit up.

i did see a bike at a bike night once that had drilled and fitted loads of single leds all around the headlight and tail unit. some were indicators some were headlight some on the rear again indicators, brake lights and markers lol. the work that had gone in to it must have been huge and the finished effect was actualy very very neat.

was also one at the bike shed meet last year that had done some on the tail unit for indicators, worked a treat from the side but for me didnt do enough rear shine to doaway with the normal indicators to.
the one at the bike night had them placed at the rear of the tail.

a lot can be done with leds, they can be very versitile, strips are ok but can limit placement and if stuck on top can look a little out of place. and doing singles is a lot of soldering lol

the handguards work well though.

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 March 2012, 05:50:24 pm »

I have a Fuze Block (www.fuzeblocks.com) fitted (great device, would highly recommend) and as this is a switched live i have the LEDs some on with the ignition. 

Just been looking at these, have you got anything else running through it?

Any one know any good auto electricians in the Midlands? i really want to fit it my self.....but hacking into wiring could go horribly wrong!  :o

MightyClown

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 March 2012, 08:08:57 am »

Hi Phil,

I run my heated grips, heated jacket and the LEDs off the fuzeblock.

I will post up some photos of that as it's a straight forward install, i know a lot of people aren't too sure about electrics but it is straight forward. 

The fuzeblock is a well made bit of kit and as it's individually fused it gives goo protection for each circuit you connect.   You can also configure each feed to be either permanent or switched.

I'm going to wire in Red LED's into the topbox this weekend so will post some more pics up of the install and also how you can cut the LED strips to the size you want for install.

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 March 2012, 01:04:18 pm »

Hi Phil,

I run my heated grips, heated jacket and the LEDs off the fuzeblock.

I will post up some photos of that as it's a straight forward install, i know a lot of people aren't too sure about electrics but it is straight forward. 

The fuzeblock is a well made bit of kit and as it's individually fused it gives goo protection for each circuit you connect.   You can also configure each feed to be either permanent or switched.

I'm going to wire in Red LED's into the topbox this weekend so will post some more pics up of the install and also how you can cut the LED strips to the size you want for install.

that would be great, tar. With some pics i could be tempted to have a go, I'm fine with basic mechanics but electrics i find a little off putting.

BikeVis sell "red LED bullets" that are for brake lights, i was thinking about these as well as Acrebis LED handguards so i think the fuzeblock maybe the way to go. Would put the extra brake LEDS some near the top of the number plate, maybe where the plastic curves round???

Did you get your Fuzeblock from the website you posted?

Cheers

danielo

« Reply #15 on: 06 March 2012, 10:19:11 am »
These looks pretty good. I think I'll consider these for mine.

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 March 2012, 05:56:03 pm »
Hay

Bought some LED's from the link that MightyClown posted. 5m strip of Flat looking white LEDs cost £12 delivered.

Aint got the hand guards yet but i think the cheapest ill be able to get them is around £65, and the Fuzeblock is around £60 (which is a bit more than i thought they would cost) Not sure where the best place will be to put the Fuzeblock though? Want to use one though as i also want to add a Hella socket...or are they called DIN? again....not sure where the best place to mount one of those would be either???  :o

MightyClown

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 March 2012, 11:56:10 pm »
Hi Phil,   i'll put a post up on the fuzeblock to give you a guide but i copied a previous post about wiring it in.

I'm away for the weekend due to other commitments but have fitted the LEDs to my givi top box and also white LEDs to my number plate light so will take some photos and write up to give you some details.

thanks,

Mark.

DanielT

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 September 2012, 09:11:25 pm »

I had to slightly mod the Acerbis clear plastic strip with the dremel but the LED strip fits a treat.

I've just ordered the hand guards from ebay for £63.90 and I already have leds that I ordered for something else.  1 strip of white and 1 strip of rgb...

Question about the mod you needed to do to the clear plastic strip with a dremel. What did you need to do? 

Cheers for this post too, as I am looking forward to tinkering!  The rgb strip would mean I could change the colour... perhaps to a flashing blue?

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2012, 09:16:39 pm »
 perhaps to a flashing blue? nnnooooooooo !

If you do that you'll get picked up by the fuzzyies !

its not legal for just anyone to have blues 

DanielT

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Re: LED handguard lights
« Reply #20 on: 17 September 2012, 11:23:07 am »
perhaps to a flashing blue? nnnooooooooo !

If you do that you'll get picked up by the fuzzyies !

its not legal for just anyone to have blues

I was just kidding (Officer)
Could switch them to orange though as indicators but I think blue tinted white looks good from those pics. My fazer is blue anyway.
Previous owner had put a strip of white leds above the lights so the wiring is already there. My wife laughed at the strip so I don't mind removing it!