Date: 20-04-24  Time: 02:09 am

Author Topic: Friendly Fazer Syndrome  (Read 2039 times)

camlyd

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Friendly Fazer Syndrome
« on: 06 March 2012, 08:12:55 pm »
 :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup  Can anyone else confirm their experiences are similar to mine, when parking a Fazer close to anyone who has the slightist interest in bikes. It's great, pop it on the stand and they appear, the friendly Fazer fan club. Comments such as, "great bikes fazers"," I had one of those", "I want one of those", "good bikes my mate has/had one" etc... etc... all ice breakers that either start a lenghtly chat or a bit of banter. It's quite amusing when I'm out riding with my mates, especially as one has an immaculate Fireblade which is bit older and the other a R1, neither have the Fazer appeal.

Skinbeatersam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki ZZR 600
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly Fazer Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2012, 11:12:14 pm »

Yep. I have a 2000 FZS600 and frequently get respect.

Today I had the petrol station guy ask about it, a few days ago I was told by an instructor friend that Fazers are a very respectable bike and after buying it a while ago, a dude in a pub came out to talk to me about it. There have been many more, but those come to mind.

What other bikes have that same effect??

I'm always turning my head to Kawasaki ZZR's . . . . . .

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2012, 01:04:42 pm »
While parking my 2000 silver FZS600 in Stow on the Wold last year I was confronted by a thick-set bloke who grudgingly said:

"They're alright I suppose, those, but they're not as fast as an R1 and they've got rubbish lights and its downpipes will rust".
"I'd have had a Thundercat if that's all I could afford."

So I didn't buy his copy of "The Big Issue" .  :rollin

Point is: Fazers come with 'reputation', some good, some bad.

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2012, 07:06:37 pm »
... they're not as fast as an R1 and they've got rubbish lights and its downpipes will rust

However it is possible to sort two of those out :) And the FZS600 is no slouch off the line if you've a mind to give it some wellie.

Someone on a fireblade tried to outdrag me at some lights once (it was clear there was nothing coming across late before anyone jumps in). I'm sure his bike could've done it faster, but the rider couldn't because it was too much bike for him.

I also used to enjoy going round the outside of GSX 600/750/1000 riders on the bends at snetterton. They wasted me on the straights of course, but I dragged 'em back at the next corner (well, the 600's and 750's at any rate).

It's about bike/rider match. I doubt I could use anywhere near 100% of an R1, but I managed about 105% of my Fazer at times and that's what makes them great (imho) :)

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2012, 08:03:30 pm »

What other bikes have that same effect??

Restored RD400s. I've actually met a bloke at a bikers meet with one who doesn't like parking it up amongst other bikers. I could see why, the RD was surrounded by people peering at it and trotting out pretty much the same lines. 'Nice bike mate/the best in their day/still a good bike these/ all me mates had one of those/ i had one of those/you can't beat a good two stroke/ almost as fast as an LC these ones/ tuned ones were faster than an LC/I wish I never sold mine/ me dad had one/ how much did you pay for it?/ I had the yellow one/ I fitted Avons on mine/you should fit Allspeeds on it/have you ported it?/how much do you want for it/I had a rare white one/the headlamp rotted on mine/used to get the pegs down on mine when i was a lad/' etc
 After 10 minutes of this he resignedly put his lid back on and cleared off.

Skinbeatersam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki ZZR 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2012, 10:29:59 pm »

"I'd have had a Thundercat if that's all I could afford."

I tried to have a Thundercat, only every single one I found in the 50 mile area of where I live, had major problems (most commonly the gearbox error). I still like the idea of one, I just know that it'll be a bit of a risk. Probably go for something with a bit more poke for my second bike. . . . . .

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2012, 10:58:37 pm »
'Nice bike mate/the best in their day/still a good bike these/ all me mates had one of those/ i had one of those/you can't beat a good two stroke/ almost as fast as an LC these ones/ tuned ones were faster than an LC/I wish I never sold mine/ me dad had one/ how much did you pay for it?/ I had the yellow one/ I fitted Avons on mine/you should fit Allspeeds on it/have you ported it?/how much do you want for it/I had a rare white one/the headlamp rotted on mine/used to get the pegs down on mine when i was a lad/'

This is EXACTLY what I'm saying... Original condition Fazers are almost (but not quite yet)  becoming "cult bikes". It maybe because many have hankered after one but not-so-many actually went out and bought one and rode it. Probably because they were too fat, too poor, too scared or too hen-pecked to actually do it.

In "Japanese-bike" terms I doubt they'll ever become proper cult bikes like the Z1, CB750F,RD350, KH250 or FS1E but they are in the 2nd league.

Time will tell.

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 March 2012, 08:55:53 pm »
Strangely enough, it has happened to me as well, ppl coming up and commenting on my bike (usually nice comments as well), tho I am guilty of doing the same when it comes to the older square headlight fazer 600s, which you might think is weird when I ride a gen1 1000, but I've always liked the early 600s and on a couple of occasions nearly bought one!