Date: 28-03-24  Time: 18:50 pm

Author Topic: Grip Glue Melting!  (Read 1559 times)

Bizbauer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Grip Glue Melting!
« on: 28 July 2016, 11:08:57 am »
I fitted new Oxford heated grips during the winter and they're ace; nice and toasty and controllable when they get too hot; think they're a great product.

HOWEVER,  riding home form work t'other day it was a bit nippy up here in Edinburgh so stuck the grips on and after about five minutes the left hand grip was loose so obviously the heat had melted the Renthal grip glue.  :eek

Switched the grips off and they were cool and solid by the time I got home, but it's pretty disconcerting and could be bloody frightening if it happened to the throttle hand!

Anyone else had this and what have you done to solve it.  Tried superglue but the same thing happened; as did hairspray....

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: 02 August 2016, 03:53:05 pm by Bizbauer »
'02 Foxeye, Blue
'05 WR250F
'06 Disco 3 S

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Grip Glue Melting!
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2016, 01:45:48 pm »
Had similar problem when fitting my current heated grips with the supplied glue, it was useless.

Used Evostik Impact and it worked a treat.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2016, 02:35:40 pm »
Rental glue I won't be specified for the temperatures the grips will be running at.  Oxford supply what looks like an ordinary super glue that has the opposite problem of setting VERY fast and then being almost impossible to remove.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2016, 04:01:07 pm »
Yep had similar with heated grips on my wife's bike. She came home once moaning about the bike having no power no matter how much she twisted the throttle. Throttle grip had only spun around a dozen time wrapping up the cable too - almost to the point of stopping her steering left...

Tried Renthal glue - didn't work once hot.
Tried double sided carpet tape (with a spot of petrol to allow the grip to slide on before it evaporates and sticks to tape) - didn't work once hot.
Gave up at that point and used a two part epoxy glue - that worked! Just hope I don't ever have to replace the heated grips though...

Bizbauer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2016, 05:40:20 pm »

Tried double sided carpet tape (with a spot of petrol to allow the grip to slide on before it evaporates and sticks to tape) - didn't work once hot.
Gave up at that point and used a two part epoxy glue - that worked! Just hope I don't ever have to replace the heated grips though...

Unless you fancy cutting them off!

Thanks guys, will give the Evostik a bash  :thumbup
'02 Foxeye, Blue
'05 WR250F
'06 Disco 3 S

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2016, 10:48:28 am »
I wrapped some insulation tape aroung the bar to increase it's diameter, making it a compression fit rather than glue. (I did spray with hairspray too though - for some lubrication when fitting, and just a bit of bite when dried).

Wrap from the inside to out, so that the overlaps are the right way round and don't snag when pushing the grip on.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2016, 03:26:52 pm »
I wrapped some insulation tape aroung the bar to increase it's diameter, making it a compression fit rather than glue. (I did spray with hairspray too though - for some lubrication when fitting, and just a bit of bite when dried).

Wrap from the inside to out, so that the overlaps are the right way round and don't snag when pushing the grip on.

:agree  I also went with the hairspray method, it worked well for me when replacing the grips for some Dr Bike ones.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.