Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:21 pm

Author Topic: Fuel gage  (Read 3437 times)

red imp

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Fuel gage
« on: 28 April 2014, 01:24:08 pm »
How accurate is the led fuel gage on the fz1s gen 2 fazer? Mine drops to two bars within sixty to seventy miles.
Ride for today coz you never know what tomorrow holds.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel gage
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2014, 01:28:08 pm »

Im interested to hear about how many miles folk get too.

Lots of fuel threads popping up these days.

At least with an anologue gauge you kinda think well something is holding the needle up off the stopper....must be fuel but a digital im not so sure about.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

madmondeoman

• GP Hero
  • Needs some 2 wheel therapy
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2014, 02:00:05 pm »
I think im getting about 120 -130 out of a tank at the moment. Some tinkering and pimping may help it.  18 litre fuel tank doesn't help.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2014, 02:11:23 pm »
I think im getting about 120 -130 out of a tank at the moment. Some tinkering and pimping may help it.  18 litre fuel tank doesn't help.

That's it.....the MT09 gets slated coz it has a small tank....so do other bikes....but it's nothing new really is it and this kinda proves that.

Sometimes in scotland or wales then we could maybe get caught short of fuel but generally speaking i don't see stopping for fuel all that bad a thing...nice to stretch the legs and stuff and i personally feel much more in control after just a brief on/off stop.

Wouldn't it be good if fuel tanks just had a clear window on them that you could look at....down by the crotch area or something.....prob not very cost effective and would no doubt be a weak spot but i dunno in this day & age is it beyond reasonable...........still wont get you home though even if you can see that you have no fuel. :rolleyes

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2014, 03:19:20 pm »
I get about 120ish to the flashing light on a thrash out, and 140+ cruising.

Mpg figures from fuelly are 39mpg on a thrash, and 45 cruising. Got 48mpg out of it once with my little sis in the back.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2014, 03:53:34 pm »
I recon on about 130 to a tank for commuting or having a blast and i know i get over 150 when touring so i go by the milage rather then the fuel gauge.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2014, 05:01:09 pm »
The biffa gets around 180-200 miles before the light comes on which was about the same as the FZS600 did.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2014, 05:06:25 pm »

That's it.....the MT09 gets slated coz it has a small tank....so do other bikes....but it's nothing new really is it and this kinda proves that.

Sometimes in scotland or wales then we could maybe get caught short of fuel but generally speaking i don't see stopping for fuel all that bad a thing...nice to stretch the legs and stuff and i personally feel much more in control after just a brief on/off stop.

Wouldn't it be good if fuel tanks just had a clear window on them that you could look at....down by the crotch area or something.....prob not very cost effective and would no  doubt be a weak spot but i dunno in this day & age is it beyond reasonable...........still wont get you home though even if you can see that you have no fuel. :rolleyes

or even a reserve on the fuel tap; like we used to !! :   :
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2014, 12:55:25 pm »

Wouldn't it be good if fuel tanks just had a clear window on them that you could look at....down by the crotch area or something.....prob not very cost effective and would no  doubt be a weak spot but i dunno in this day & age is it beyond reasonable...........still wont get you home though even if you can see that you have no fuel. :rolleyes

You mean that has the exact same function as the fuel gauge last bar blinking?  :lol

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2014, 12:59:13 pm »

You mean that has the exact same function as the fuel gauge last bar blinking?  :lol

Aw, but how do you know if it is reading correctly,  :lol
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

cfoley

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2014, 02:32:15 pm »
More likely you'd forget to turn the reserve off.

My girlfriend's last bike had a reserve tank. To this day I don't know if the reserve was on or off. She never looked it up and she never turned that valve.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 April 2014, 08:29:30 pm »

This is my future plans fir a reserve.

Actually it's a system...easy steps

Step 1......You cuff it like foc trying to get home.

Step 2......splutter to a stop & gloat about how many miles you got...then get out way of fast dangerous traffic.

Step 3......reach for your 2 camping stove cylinders completely full of petrol....dual purpose see.

Step 4......create a roadside fireball :evil

Nb..system only works on way to campsite & drinking the fuel may make you fly home instead of riding home.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 April 2014, 09:17:34 pm »

That's very true, Noggy, but if you've got a small tank, you stop at petrol stations. I don't want to stop at petrol stations for a breather, I want to stop at the top of a mountain or some other scenic place.

This is the thing that the bike manufacturers just don't get at the moment. Yes, it's good for weight centralisation and handling, it's also a way round the problem of having massive air boxes these days, but practically, it's a monumental pain in the arse.

My commute is 110 miles, so if I had a bike that only does 130 miles to a tank, I'd have to fill up every day, or 5 times a week instead of 3, which is an complete waste of time. When I'm going 300 miles North for a visit, it would mean two fillups, not one, and when I'm touring to the South of France, it means I have to stop 5 times instead of 3.

If the open class MotoGP bikes can have 22 litre tanks and the Isle of Man TT bikes can have 24 litre tanks, why can't road bikes?
« Last Edit: 29 April 2014, 09:20:12 pm by AyJay »

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 April 2014, 09:18:29 pm »
That seems a little excessive :lol  When fuel light comes on i make sure i fill up within 30 miles. Never let me down yet. My Aprilia ran out 19 miles after the light came on. I now fill it up at every service station i pass :'( The reason tank capacity is getting smaller is because bikes are weighed by wet weight. I wish they would make the weights of new bikes a standard 5 litres of fuel in the tank instead of max capacity :\
« Last Edit: 29 April 2014, 09:22:42 pm by nickodemon »
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 April 2014, 09:47:24 pm »

That's very true, Noggy, but if you've got a small tank, you stop at petrol stations. I don't want to stop at petrol stations for a breather, I want to stop at the top of a mountain or some other scenic place.

This is the thing that the bike manufacturers just don't get at the moment. Yes, it's good for weight centralisation and handling, it's also a way round the problem of having massive air boxes these days, but practically, it's a monumental pain in the arse.

My commute is 110 miles, so if I had a bike that only does 130 miles to a tank, I'd have to fill up every day, or 5 times a week instead of 3, which is an complete waste of time. When I'm going 300 miles North for a visit, it would mean two fillups, not one, and when I'm touring to the South of France, it means I have to stop 5 times instead of 3.

If the open class MotoGP bikes can have 22 litre tanks and the Isle of Man TT bikes can have 24 litre tanks, why can't road bikes?

It's the like of these posts why I'll not regret one bit leaving the fazer fold  :wall

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 April 2014, 10:47:49 am »
It's the like of these posts why I'll not regret one bit leaving the fazer fold  :wall
Not rubbing it in or anything, but on a gen1 you start paying attention at 180 miles, and only start to get nervous if you have been caneing it and over 200 miles are showing.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 April 2014, 11:41:17 am »
Not rubbing it in or anything, but on a gen1 you start paying attention at 180 miles, and only start to get nervous if you have been caneing it and over 200 miles are showing.

You're clearly not caning it very hard  :lol

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 April 2014, 11:57:12 am »
My 600's light comes on at about 140 miles and im sure i can squeeze out 200 as it is an 01 so slightly bigger tank......but here's the thing...fair enough if you're on your own & dont wanna stop.......but if you like company on rideouts then chances are that one of your mates will be on a sportsbike anyway...if theynhave tourers then you prob wont be invited.......so it makes no difference whether you can get 400 miles outtta a tank coz if he needs to stop then you all stop at that petrol station......& while you're there what ya gonna do for the sake of it.....top up :)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 April 2014, 01:32:12 pm »
My 600's light comes on at about 140 miles and im sure i can squeeze out 200 as it is an 01 so slightly bigger tank......but here's the thing...fair enough if you're on your own & dont wanna stop.......but if you like company on rideouts then chances are that one of your mates will be on a sportsbike anyway...if theynhave tourers then you prob wont be invited.......so it makes no difference whether you can get 400 miles outtta a tank coz if he needs to stop then you all stop at that petrol station......& while you're there what ya gonna do for the sake of it.....top up :)

I still remember when I first started riding on my hornet if I went out with my Da on his FZS he'd fill up at every other petrol station I had to!