Date: 29-03-24  Time: 11:51 am

Author Topic: Clutch Pressure Plate Compatibility  (Read 1024 times)

pukafaze

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FAZER
    • View Profile
Clutch Pressure Plate Compatibility
« on: 22 November 2019, 06:25:34 pm »
Hi,

I've joined this forum today as I have recently purchased a Fazer and it seems like a really good resource for such an old model when information is becoming harder and harder to find. I'm Jack - the Fazer is my 6th bike but unfortunately after having a CBR650F and a CBR500R stolen within a week I've been left with no choice but to get something a little older!

I have changed my clutch recently on the Fazer and unfortunately after 5x apart (supplied wrong springs) I have finally been given the right springs.

Unfortunately however I was so excited about my clutch working properly that I have misaligned the pressure plate and it is now broken  :eek

I have looked all over for a new pressure plate but to no avail, my only option seems to be to order one from Fowlers Parts... Does anybody know if the clutch pressure plate is a common type used on any other models or if I'd have to get a Fazer specific one from a parts supplier?

I would really appreciate any help given as I don't particularly want to spend over £70 on something that could be had quite cheap on Ebay were there to be a compatible one for sale!

Thanks

FILZ6

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki Z1000sx
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pressure Plate Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2019, 07:32:37 pm »
Hello. Thundercat clutch pressure plate is the same part number on Fowler’s website.
So is another option to search for a used one from breaker/ e bay maybe.

Good luck.   :)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2019, 11:25:17 pm »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2019, 08:02:13 am »
Have a look around for free online motorcycle breakers, who are normally fairly quick to respond, but don't give a phone number, just an email address.
The part is quite specific and rarely tampered with so chances are unless you get really lucky you'll be buying the replacement part as new, dependent on how quickly you need it.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

pukafaze

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FAZER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2019, 10:59:57 am »
Thank you for your replies!

I got lucky this time and managed to pickup a whole clutch assembly from a breaker for 20 quid.

Reading the service manual it isn't really that clear how it lines up - does anyone have any top tips on this as I don't particularly want to break another, should be here by the end of this week but I'm hoping something fixes the clutch slip I had a problem with to begin with - I've heard bad things about the EBC springs but I will check the condition of the 'new' clutch when it comes and if the springs are within tolerance I might just use those.

Anything electrical I'm pretty good with but unfortunately I have very limited understanding of how these bikes work - give me FI to troubleshoot any day of the week!

My bike is on about 40k so I'm hoping it should last a while yet - I've fixed quite a few things on it since I bought it as I got it for a good price but the complexity of it scares me (I know carbs are simple to those who grew up with them but I've no prior experience)

Wish me luck!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2019, 11:08:54 am »
Rotate the plate if you are not sure, you will know when it slots into the right place

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2019, 10:47:00 pm »
When you put the pressure plate on, before you put the springs and screws in just press it with one hand and see if the friction plates are getting squashed together. If they are you’re ok, if they’re loose you’re on wrong.