Date: 24-04-24  Time: 17:05 pm

Author Topic: new type (v8i) oxford controller issue half solved...  (Read 1037 times)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
new type (v8i) oxford controller issue half solved...
« on: 12 January 2020, 11:27:40 pm »
So , I bought some oxford premium heated grips off e bay, still new in the box. These are the ones that are normally 70 or 80 quid, with better connections, and the V8i controller, offering 9 presets. I would have just got the ordinary fifty quidintelligent grips, but got these for the same money (unwanted subscription gift apparently). Duly fitted them to the xjr. Went to set off , and they didn't work, kept going into battery saving mode (the green light just keeps flashing then it turns itself off).I had me garbing heated underjacket on so it wasn't a prob, and nipped into Wales to meet Dynspud at a biker café. Getting home late afternoon, I checked everything over. Installation and connections were all good. From the limitd information on oxfords website, it seems unless the battery never dips below 12.4 volts, they should stay on. It also seems a lot of people have had this problem. I duly checked my battery, 12.8 v non running, 14.5 running with the revs up. I was still trawling through the yank threads late afternoon, and found one that mentioned being able to disable the battery saving feature. this involves holding down the positive and negative buttons for five secomds until the green light goes out. Tried it and it works. So now got heated grips, but gonna have to rewire them through a relay. And I learnt summat, which is always a good thing...
« Last Edit: 12 January 2020, 11:28:16 pm by ogri48 »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: new type (v8i) oxford controller issue half solved...
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2020, 12:12:24 am »
From what I remember reading, the battery saving mode clicks in when it senses a non fluctuating current.  On the assumption that if the ignition is on and the engine running, the current is up and down constantly.
I've had bikes with almost dead batteries, but the v8 still reads the current OK.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2020, 09:08:31 am »

thats how I always understood it too mate. Ive always had the v8 controllers on me bikes (the fazer and Harley have them fitted), I think the newest versions (the v8i fitted to the premium range) are possibly too pernickety, or even perhaps have a design fault. As you say, i've never had a low voltage problem cause them to switch off on the older version, and they have always worked brilliantly. But of the limited info I can find on the v8i it does say that it not only works on voltage fluctuation, but will go into off mode if it receives less than 12.4 v. The switch gives a definite indication of the low voltage being a problem by taking exactly five seconds to go into flashing mode from being on. Im thinking if I had a new battery (even though the bike doesn't need one)it might not happen, although there is at least one yank you tube video of a feller with exactly the same problem even with a new battery fitted. I'll phone oxford today, but I'm guessing I wont get a lot of joy as I didn't purchase it new from a dealer. My best bet will end up being to put it on a relay, or throw another twenty five quid(making the grips bloody expensive) on to getting the older v8 controller and soldering/heat shrinking it in as a replacement.
The gerbing heated jacket is the absolute mutts btw, made that part of the ride (the late afternoon drop in temperature coming back home up the mountain) an utter pleasure, as was meeting up with dynspud first time this year

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2020, 09:17:44 am »
Always a pleasure Paul  :thumbup
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2020, 09:25:56 am »
But of the limited info I can find on the v8i it does say that it not only works on voltage fluctuation, but will go into off mode if it receives less than 12.4 v.
Yep that makes sense. Another 'improvement'. Technology getting too clever.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2020, 09:31:37 am »

aint it just mtread. another reason I'm kinda glad I cant afford a new bike :lol theres a lot to go wrong a few years down the line.

Dave I cannot wait for this years French invasion. thanks a million again for sorting it all out my friend :thumbup

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2020, 08:17:16 pm »
TBH I think it's a problem with the switch itself. I've had these fitted for about 18 months now but hate the exact same problem start just before Christmas and get steadily worse till they won't stay on at all. Thought it might be a voltage /battery/short problem but as above all that is fine. I'll be taking my switch apart when the weather warms up.
Switching off the sensor has them working correctly so the problem is in the sensor circuit somewhere.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!