Date: 25-04-24  Time: 13:43 pm

Author Topic: Ivanising Done  (Read 6898 times)

Falco9

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Ivanising Done
« on: 23 April 2015, 08:19:15 pm »
Mike has just left after a full days work (9hrs solid) installing our "Full Monty's" for his Friday "Redditch" set of bikes leaving four very happy bikers behind. The "Full Monty" is everything everyone said it would be and more........

Smooth linear power from the bottom of the rev range to the top and soooooo drivable. Ivan is a very clever man and Mike is just one of the nicest blokes I've had the pleasure of meeting and what a superb job he does.

I'm sure everyone who is on his list this weekend will be as happy as we all are (Graham, Derek, Scott and myself, sorry don't know your forum names chaps but I think I speak for all of us) It was a pleasure to meet you all today and I hope you all had a safe and enjoyable ride back home

Nice one Mike, it was well worth waiting for.

Many Thanks   :thumbup

F9  :)
I've spent 40yrs riding motorcycles...............the rest I've wasted...

Peasy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Kawasaki ZX-6R Trackbike
    • View Profile
Re: Ivanising Done
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2015, 08:30:46 pm »
Can't wait till tomorrow  :lol

fazed out

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2015, 09:52:57 pm »
Enjoy falco9  getting mine done at my gaff  regards gaz ps enjoy your carbon goodies u lucky git  i had 1st dibs then he sold to you  i think ?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2015, 09:55:11 pm »
Thanks, Rich, for everything you did to help me get this trip started and for the great hospitality today.  The pleasure was mutual, I assure you. :)

For those waiting to see me tomorrow and over the weekend, I'm relieved to tell you that the dodgy knee is almost 100% again so the rest of the schedule should proceed as planned.  Boy, I'm glad that's over!

Hasta pronto!

Mike

PS.  Rich, would you believe that as I peeled off the M42/M40 interchange, a certain dark blue Fazer overtook me on the curve?  I put the wind up him by chasing him down and flashing my lights in greeting - he thought I was the old bill :lol

fazed out

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2015, 10:02:06 pm »
Thanks, Rich, for everything you did to help me get this trip started and for the great hospitality today.  The pleasure was mutual, I assure you. :)

For those waiting to see me tomorrow and over the weekend, I'm relieved to tell you that the dodgy knee is almost 100% again so the rest of the schedule should proceed as planned.  Boy, I'm glad that's over!

Hasta pronto!

Mike
Pissing my sides :rollin :rollin :rollin
PS.  Rich, would you believe that as I peeled off the M42/M40 interchange, a certain dark blue Fazer overtook me on the curve?  I put the wind up him by chasing him down and flashing my lights in greeting - he thought I was the old bill :lol

fazed out

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2015, 06:46:30 pm »
2nd day down thanks mike top job  also to the other guest scott from day 1 dave, chris ,lewis hope you had no more mishaps from a dodgy plug?  so mime"s got 3 lol  if you havn't had the full monty done yet its a must  :thumbup

Neon Knight

• Weekend Warrior
  • In space no one can hear you fart !
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2015, 05:04:39 pm »
Well I am sat here at home reading about the ivanising that went on yesterday and the improvement it makes to the bike and I am both happy and a bit sad. Happy because more of the guys and gals here have had their bikes tweaked and sad because I was supposed to have have mine done this very day but unfortunately circumstances dictated it was not to be. I hope that sometime in the not too distant future, I too will have a grin as big as a cheshire cat's as I drive away into the sunset on my newly ivanised bike thanking the gods, ivan and of course mike the 2main man".

fazed

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2015, 07:46:37 pm »
Just had my 2002 fazer Ivanised (slip on stage1 - not 'full monty') and a 4 deg ignition advancer in with K&N filter previously installed.  Hav to say the difference is really marked I can put it into 6th gear at 2000 rpm & accelerate away - and it feels smoother and more 'muscular' and sharper everywhere in the rev range - wish I'd had it done before.  Perhaps an aftermarket can next (cash permitting!) to liberate a bit more hp ......

Excellent installation job by Mike too - thanks and have a good trip home!
This is as young as you're ever going to be!

andydrz

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2015, 11:48:54 pm »
I had mine 'Ivanised' today and it didn't disappoint! A cracking ride home with the better throttle response and none of the jerkyness on a steady throttle like before. It's made a great bike even better  :)

Thanks Mike for doing a great job, it was good to meet you and chat bikes for the time I was there. Good to meet and chat with the other guys too (sorry, forgotten names already!) with special thanks for 3 very nice cups of tea  ;)

fazer390

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2015, 02:57:09 pm »
Did any of you guys attend the Salisbury MAG the other weekend? I met one of you chaps down there who said they were getting their Fazer full Montied in Bristol on the weekend...
Unfortunatly I was just about to leave so didn't have much time to chat. I can't remember his name but it would be good to meet up, talk Fazers and go for a blast...  8)

« Last Edit: 28 April 2015, 11:50:55 am by fazer390 »
AKA - Jase / Carbonkid...

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 April 2015, 06:36:11 am »
Hi everyone,

Home again after a long but successful trip with the toolkit.  Much to my relief, the dodgy knee held up OK and I was able to do nearly all of the planned installs.  My apologies to Jim and Neon Knight but there simply wasn't enough working time in the day to do yours as well.  Next time, guys, I promise. :)

My thanks to everyone who travelled to meet up with me and special thanks to Richard, Gary, Luke and my mate in Goff's Oak who provided me with the working facilities each day. 

As always, if the feedback above has made you think about having your Gen 1 'Ivanised', please drop me a line and I'll let you have more information.

Cheers!

Mike

sox22ufo

• Cager in Training
  • "He who never dares will never know"
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2015, 02:20:05 pm »
Hiya,

I looking at having my 2005 FZS1 Ivanised.
I'm In North London. Whats are the chances this year?

Cheers

Satv

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2015, 02:41:01 pm »
To be honest, pretty slim.  Depending on what else I have on in September, I might look at a 3-day working weekend visit that month but my day job and other commitments have to take priority.

If I can find a free weekend, I'll start the planning process in June/July and contact you direct by PM to let you know. :)

Mike

sox22ufo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2015, 03:00:33 pm »
Thanks Mike,

its just I have a problem . I've had it standing while, the bike, and now that I'm using it, it splutters.

Always at rev range 1-2k, after that it clears and runs ok but its terrible when I pull away from corners, I have no accelerartion and almost stall it till the revs crip up.

So short of taking it apart and seeing wehat the problem is, would Ivanising help cure?
« Last Edit: 22 May 2015, 03:03:29 pm by sox22ufo »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2015, 03:55:16 pm »
The problem is 99% sure to be blocked pilot jets.  Letting the bike stand for a while with old fuel going off in the float bowls is not a good idea. 

You might be lucky and find that putting some carb cleaner additive in your next few tanks of fuel might clear it.  Try Redline - see ebay.

If the gumming is severe, only removing the carbs and cleaning the pilot jets and passageways directly will cure this. 

'Ivanising' does wonders but this isn't one of them. :)

sox22ufo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2015, 05:05:07 pm »

sox22ufo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2015, 05:12:35 pm »
Thanks Mike, I will take a risk and use |Redline first but tempted to take the carbs and have them cleaned in Ultrasound, or should I dip them in a soaking compound.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2015, 06:46:31 pm »
You could probably achieve what you need to by simply removing the pilot jets and cleaning them (use a fine wire guitar string to 'rod' through the tiny end hole in the jet), and shooting carb cleaner (I use Wynn's from Halfords) through the pilot jet passageways while the jets are soaking in more of the same.

Be sure to remove the carb slides before you do this ... carb cleaner and carb diaphragms don't play nicely together. ;)

sox22ufo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2015, 09:01:20 am »
While I have the carbs off is it worth changing anything else like rubber grommets or filters not sure what I'm asking but just in case while its all off........

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2015, 09:12:49 pm »
Definitely change the float needle seat O-rings:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103599&highlight=found+carb+failure+mode

Set mixture screws 3 1/2 - 4 turns out.  Maybe raise the needles 0.5mm.  Or just go ahead and 'Ivanise' it while you're in there. ;)

Scottyboy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 June 2015, 11:58:33 am »
I be-eth the chap who swore Mike was a copper. The lad from Brum who went up North and down the road the next day!  :rollin Mike couldn't get enough of me... or was it the other way around??

Truth be told, the mod itself is immense, the day after having the Full Monty the 7k tacho code came up so I went down the road to meet Mike who managed to strip a stubborn EXUP and clean/lube it/adjust cables etc and oh my lord, what an absolute animal it was... for a day or two, I think I have a binding valve or at least slightly warped which is what was suspected when he cleaned it and bent it slightly straight - must have returned to the bent position.

It is a pain because I got to taste the Full Monty for a very short while and now I'm plagued by the standard EXUP problems of it not opening or closing properly - so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know :)

After putting all the components back in (not the pulley device) up to the point of tightening the ALLEN bolts only, should I be able to freely turn the Valve end? If so, it is impossible to do and is even very tight using pliers to do it. Which leads me to think it is warper/bent/binding because after a week (following the usual copper grease lube up) it will start squeaking again. It's a pain the in the arse!

Again, great to meet you guys, been a visitor here for a while but first time posting - thanks Mike for your hard work the other month.

Cheers

Scott

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 June 2015, 09:09:56 pm »
Hi Guys, still finding my feet on the site after just buying a Gen 1 thou, loving the bike so far but.....cold starts can be hit and miss, it always starts but it does wind over a bit before it bites, once warm it's fine........ I was just wondering what Ivansing entails ? could I buy a kit or something.

Thanks in advance

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 June 2015, 10:55:05 pm »
Anything for a bloke with a Buddy Jesus avatar (that pic was my iPhone home screen for years!)

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/jetkitinstallation.html

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sgmotorsport/Ivans-Yamaha-Jet-Kits-/_i.html?_fsub=2967126010

Fitting it is not difficult if you go slow and understand the instructions (I found a  YouTube vid too) and this and a decent rear shock are the two mods which you must do. Makes a very good bike great. Like everyone, I was amazed at how much bang for the buck you get with an Ivans jet kit. £115 and it makes such a difference, not because of the extra power so much as the improved drivability.
« Last Edit: 13 June 2015, 10:58:22 pm by AyJay »

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 June 2015, 06:38:23 pm »
Anything for a bloke with a Buddy Jesus avatar (that pic was my iPhone home screen for years!)

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/jetkitinstallation.html

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sgmotorsport/Ivans-Yamaha-Jet-Kits-/_i.html?_fsub=2967126010

Fitting it is not difficult if you go slow and understand the instructions (I found a  YouTube vid too) and this and a decent rear shock are the two mods which you must do. Makes a very good bike great. Like everyone, I was amazed at how much bang for the buck you get with an Ivans jet kit. £115 and it makes such a difference, not because of the extra power so much as the improved drivability.

AyJay, bless you my son lol.

Cheers for that info bud, just what I wanted to hear, I've already spoken to Devilsyam about a rear shock conversion which I plan to get end of the month, looks like I'll be getting a jet kit too  :D  I love to tinker so I'll look forward to fitting it.

Cheers again  :lol

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 June 2015, 09:41:36 pm »
If you got the DIY route with the jet kit, drop me a line and I'll give you some pointers to make the job go easier. :)

Mike