Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:43 pm

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1585665 times)

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #8400 on: 03 August 2020, 11:33:24 am »
Hey Robbo.
That sounds like a pretty good day out to me mate  :thumbup
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8401 on: 03 August 2020, 08:43:10 pm »
After 2 years with my Oxford Jupiter LED indicators I'd finally had enough of um (hint..  they're shite)

So bit the bullet and ordered genuine Yamaha LED ones from an mt10. Arrived today and I've got to day what a massive improvement. So much brighter and more orange that the Oxfords. Cost a lot but worth it 👍
« Last Edit: 03 August 2020, 11:13:51 pm by Dudeofrude »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8402 on: 03 August 2020, 09:25:19 pm »
After 2 years with my Oxford Jupiter LED indicators I'd finally had enough of um (hint..  they're shite)

So bit the bullet and ordered genuine yamaha led ones for the mt10. Arrived today and I've got to day what a massive improvement. So much brighter and more orange that the Oxfords. Cost a lot but worth it 👍

Pictures?

Will they fit any other models?

Price?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

steve65

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1200S
    • View Profile
« Reply #8403 on: 03 August 2020, 09:54:13 pm »
Well, i've had it for a few weeks and put a few hundred miles on it now.  It came with a nearly new full spec Maxton rear shock but the whole bike was set to 'full hard' (previous owner was 5stone heavier than me!) so i've had a fiddle and it's a whole lot better now.  That rear shock is lush.  I set the front forks to factory setting and it was a vast improvement but yesterday I gave the compression another click which helped.  I still think they compress a bit too much under braking so next trip i'll increase the pre-load a bit.   I was having trouble with the gearbox too.  It was lovely on the upshifts, giving me perfect clutchless changes, but going down the box (with the clutch) I was almost having to stamp on the gearlever.  I did a bit of research and found that the chain needs 45-50mm of slack.  I checked and mine was set to 20mm.  Having now adjusted it correctly I can change gear without straining my foot!  Future jobs include changing the screen to something shorter to cut the dirty wind noise, and subsequent tinnitus, and some black (or maybe grey) Renthal 758's as soon as there are some in stock somewhere. 
« Last Edit: 03 August 2020, 09:57:42 pm by steve65 »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8404 on: 03 August 2020, 11:07:18 pm »
  Future jobs include changing the screen to something shorter to cut the dirty air.
Do you use ear plugs
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8405 on: 03 August 2020, 11:12:53 pm »

So bit the bullet and ordered genuine yamaha led ones for the mt10. Arrived today and I've got to day what a massive improvement. So much brighter and more orange that the Oxfords. Cost a lot but worth it 👍

Pictures?

Will they fit any other models?

Price?

I've not taken any of them on the Fz1 (but will do at some point) but here are some stock photos of the ones I have bought.

Yeah they are just standard 2 wire indicators so pretty sure they will fit any bike as long as the correct resistors are used.

They were £50 a set so just over £100 with postage for the 4 so definitely on the premium end of aftermarket indicators.
The oxford ones I've replaced were £70 for the set so they weren't exactly cheap and nasty Chinese ones but I hated them pretty much from the off. They looked good and seem bright enough but they were constantly coming apart! It was a 'feature' to make sue they wouldnt snap during an accident or something but mainly just resulted in the light coming away from the rubber stem and dangling down without me noticing or me constantly having to push them back in when I did.
The final nail in the coffin was when the glue failed inside the actual light part of one of the front ones (which are sealed units) which resulted in it rattling constantly while riding.
Needless to say I've very happy with these ones and would highly recommend them, turns out buying OEM stuff is actually worth it sometimes 😄

steve65

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1200S
    • View Profile
« Reply #8406 on: 04 August 2020, 12:02:38 am »
  Future jobs include changing the screen to something shorter to cut the dirty air.
Do you use ear plugs

Yes I do but the screen (MRA) that is on the bike sends the air directly at my face.  Very noisy and after even a few hours riding I have a slight ringing in my ears.  One of those sport screens should do it.  I'm OK with taking clean air to the front of the helmet.  I've spent the last two years riding an unfaired bike and my R1200S has a screen low enough that the dirty air hits the top of my chest.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8407 on: 04 August 2020, 12:34:16 am »
Honestly you would have thought by now you'd be able to buy a screen that does something,apart from a Woody electric screen I had on my last Pan European I have never come across a decent small screen,they either hit you in the face,chest,top of your head,whatever! you wouldn't mind if they were cheap, I paid a right few quid for the Ermax one I've got now and to be fair it looks good but as for keeping the wind off it's not that clever, funnily enough it's better at 60,70 than 40,50 but anywhere above 70 unless you bury your head in the tank it's foccin' crap. :lol
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8408 on: 04 August 2020, 07:51:35 am »
Do you use ear plugs

Yes I do but the screen (MRA) that is on the bike sends the air directly at my face.  Very noisy and after even a few hours riding I have a slight ringing in my ears.  One of those sport screens should do it.  I'm OK with taking clean air to the front of the helmet.  I've spent the last two years riding an unfaired bike and my R1200S has a screen low enough that the dirty air hits the top of my chest.
Yes its much better on your chest than your head
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8409 on: 10 August 2020, 12:36:16 pm »
Yesterday I finally got to try out my FZ6 properly after doing all the upgrades, which was great fun!

It feels a lot nicer to ride now, although I need to get used to the change in feeling a bit more, especially since I've hardly done any riding for the past 4 months :(

I did one of my favourite routes which I call The Cloverleaf, because it involves four loops, sort of based around Loomies cafe.

I come out of Portsmouth on the B2177, but turn right for the run up to World's End and onto the B2150, then crossing the A32 to pick up a loop of nice little country lanes, back to the A32, up past Loomies (which was pretty busy) and up to the A339 to Basingstoke.

I turn off just before the M3 onto the B3046 down towards the Candovers, then "cut the corner" by turning left at Preston Candover and going down to Spiers Lane, before picking up the 3046 again through Alresford to New Cheriton.

Then there's a run along the A272 (passing Loomies again!) and head into Petersfield, but then turn left up Bell Hill and through some really fun hairpins at Little Switzerland, back to the A32 and south again.

Normally I'd stop off at Loomies at this point to get something to eat, but it looked too busy for comfortable social distancing, so I carried on down the A32, turning off just before the M27 for a run down Pook, lane, back onto the B2177 for a blast up the back of Portsdown hill :thumbup

Oh and there was a Photographer (called The Right Bike on Facebook) taking shots on the A272, so I gave him a wave, although I realised afterwards I should have done the Foc-U salute...!

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8410 on: 21 August 2020, 05:02:03 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 04:56:41 pm by YamFazFan »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8411 on: 21 August 2020, 09:58:35 pm »
Took it for MOT. Passed. No advisories.  :D .

Me too  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8412 on: 25 August 2020, 07:46:18 pm »
Not today, but Saturday 22nd, went to Perranporth from Worcester to join the family for a couple of days holiday. Came back Monday then off to "sunny" Yorkshire for work for three days. Hoping to get to Squires tomorrow.  :D :D :D
Total since Saturday - 610 miles.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: 27 August 2020, 01:18:53 am »
A little while ago I replaced my OEM FZ6-SA brake lines with braided ones.

The new ones are nice, but, inevitably, when doing a full replace like this on an ABS system, you can't avoid getting some air into the fluid and there was still a touch of sponginess on the front.

So a couple of days ago, I suspended the calipers from the ceiling of the shed with a nice long daisy chain of cable ties and left them there to allow the fluid to drain down and the air to bubble up.

Today I bled about half an inch of air from the system and remounted them and they're already feeling much crisper.

I've left them with a cable tie around the front brake lever and hope to get out to give them a proper check in the next few days :thumbup

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8414 on: 27 August 2020, 09:19:57 am »
All packed up ready for the return from Yorkshire to Worcester later today.

[edit - image was rotated]

Clocked a total of 816 miles, after 15 hours in the saddle, 10 hours of which were in the pissing rain  :wall :wall
« Last Edit: 02 September 2020, 07:06:49 pm by fazerscotty »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8415 on: 27 August 2020, 09:39:38 am »
I've left them with a cable tie around the front brake lever and hope to get out to give them a proper check in the next few days
Thats all you needed to do, Ive done that on my 1200 and 1250.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8416 on: 27 August 2020, 01:14:53 pm »
I've left them with a cable tie around the front brake lever and hope to get out to give them a proper check in the next few days
Thats all you needed to do, Ive done that on my 1200 and 1250.

Doing the cable tie trick just compresses the air and forces it into the fluid, but, if left, it will slowly bubble out again.

That's fine if it's only a tiny amount of air, but, because of the layout of pipes on the ABS system, I think the air had collected in the "loop" above the front wheel and you can't necessarily bleed enough fluid out to get it before you have to shut the bleed valve again.

That's why I hung the calipers up, so the air would flow up to the caliper and then I could get it out of the bleed valve without it just bubbling back up to the top of the loop.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8417 on: 27 August 2020, 02:41:00 pm »
I think the air had collected in the "loop" above the front wheel and you can't necessarily bleed enough fluid out to get it before you have to shut the bleed valve again.
Have the same 'loop' on my 1200/1250.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8418 on: 28 August 2020, 10:22:48 am »
+1 for the MOT gang. No advisories just an embarrassingly low amount of miles. Only 1300 since the last one 😳... i blame lockdown haha

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8419 on: 30 August 2020, 09:07:40 pm »
Had a nice ride up to Ryka's Cafe at Box Hill and back :thumbup

Although it started off a bit iffy as, when I switched the alarm off, I noticed that my right rear indicator wasn't coming on. After taking off the cover and checking with a multi-meter I found the bulb was ok, so then I had to start checking the wires.

Eventually I found that one of the connectors that I'd added to extend the wires for the Givi top box rack had corroded, so a bit of spraying with contact cleaner got it working ok.

Now I need to put some Duck Oil on to stop it happening again!

Also, annoyingly, I've found that big sections of the B2146 and 2147 have been made 40 limit, spoiling what were very nice riding roads :(

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8420 on: 31 August 2020, 11:29:39 am »
My riding partner for the day called in sick yesterday, just as I was going out the door. It would have been very easy to put the bike back in the garage and watch the last 5 hours of Le Mans, with a dose of WSB thrown in for good measure. Not having been out on the bike for a few weeks due to holiday, this wasn't an option. After exploring a network of B roads I got down to Cowfold, continuing south to Steyning before heading west, via Bury Hill for a quick cuppa, down the A272 as far as Winchester, and on towards Salisbury for a late breakfast.
The A272 from Loomies to the A31 had been closed on the way down. I discovered later that a section had been resurfaced, and the equipment was being packed up, but was open for use on my return journey. I followed the good ole 272 all the way to A22, then the Ashdown Forest to Hartfield, Edenbridge and home. Another 288 of our wonderful English miles racked up.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8421 on: 31 August 2020, 11:44:35 am »
After exploring a network of B roads

Got any recommendations? As mentioned above, a couple of my favourites have been spoiled with 40mph limits :(

down the A272 as far as Winchester

When were you on the 272? I was going east from Loomies to Petworth some time between 2-3pm.

The A272 from Loomies to the A31 had been closed on the way down.

Last time I checked, that was the A32... ;)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8422 on: 31 August 2020, 01:03:11 pm »
After exploring a network of B roads

Got any recommendations? As mentioned above, a couple of my favourites have been spoiled with 40mph limits :( Far too complicated to explain :lol

down the A272 as far as Winchester

When were you on the 272? I was going east from Loomies to Petworth some time between 2-3pm.
I was home by just after 3pm
The A272 from Loomies to the A31 had been closed on the way down.

Last time I checked, that was the A32... ;)

Loomies is on the A32. The section I was talking about is the A272 from the A32 lights to the A31, just north of Winchester.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8423 on: 31 August 2020, 10:14:24 pm »
The section I was talking about is the A272 from the A32 lights to the A31, just north of Winchester.

Ah, ok, got you now.

I was thinking of the run north on the A32 from Loomies to the roundabout on the A31 where you turn right, then take the A339 north to Basingstoke :thumbup

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8424 on: 02 September 2020, 07:07:32 pm »
Worcester to Sherburn in Elmet again - getting to be a regular outing.