Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:50 pm

Author Topic: Rusted now rounding bolt on powervalve  (Read 1292 times)

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Rusted now rounding bolt on powervalve
« on: 14 May 2018, 06:59:08 pm »
Hi Guys

I'm a bit concerned about the bolt holding the powervalve cover in place on my bike.

Last year I had problems with the YPVS fault 'code' appearing on my tacho - so I adjusted it and lubed everything up, went pretty well. I had to renew the pulley because it was in really shit state - and I mean that - worst working part I've seen on any running bike. I wanted to take the cover off and check the actual valve flap operation and clean if ness, but this one bolt head was rusty and the bolt started rounding - it was crazily overtorqued. I left it, rather than cause damage that would affect the valve access. Was hoping a friend would sort it for me, but so far it hasn't happened.

After the error code started appearing again recently (sorted now, though, with tightening of the cables) I really want to get inside that valve housing and check it over.

Would I be okay just cutting a slot into the bolt head and using a large screwdriver to unscrew it (my usual method) or is it a really long one that would be difficult to remove this way? Really don't want to end up having to drill it.

TiA

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Rusted now rounding bolt on powervalve
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2018, 08:40:06 pm »
I'm out of the country at present but if you search my posts I've posted the length/dimensions of all the necessary exup bolts. I do hope you don't have to resort to drilling it out. Good luck
 :thumbup .
« Last Edit: 14 May 2018, 08:54:26 pm by robbo »
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2018, 08:47:46 pm »
From what I remember they aren't that long. If you can cut a slot into the head it is always worth trying, or hammer on a slightly smaller socket - sometimes using those old Whitworth Imperial size sockets can help as you can get some which are half a mm smaller, always worth a go.
I really hope you don't have to drill but if you do then please use a decent drill bit because it will save on all that swearing that I used to shout when I used cheap drill bits!

However... Mine were OK to get out - only to find the ones underneath the cover for the EXUP valve were totally shot.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2018, 09:30:06 pm »
The sizes of the bolts are in the FAQ.

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike: