Date: 29-03-24  Time: 11:49 am

Author Topic: 2018 R6 Rear Shock  (Read 1917 times)

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
2018 R6 Rear Shock
« on: 12 May 2018, 05:36:26 pm »
This arrived today!

Hopefully I will have time to fit it soon!  I will put details up.
Intentionally left blank

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 R6 Rear Shock
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2018, 05:08:30 pm »
Well, fitting the shock was straight forward.

Rather than modifying the shock top "eye" We made two press fit inserts to fit in the frame.  This serves two porposes.  It sleeves the Fazer mount holes and provides fixed spacers for the shock.  You then simply use a standard R6 bolt (or a bolt that fits) and don't have to change anything.   If you need to replace the shock, simply remove and fit the new one.  If you want to go back to a fazer shock, remove, push out the sleeves and fit.

Here are the inserts.

This shows one pressed into the fazer frame top shock mount hole:

This is the "inside" of the top shock mount.  So you can see the shoulder part which is the required spacer for the narrower R6 shock mount, and the inner sleeve that goes all the way through to the outer side of the mount wall.

This pic shows how the spacers fit when .... fitted.  So one each side, they butt up to the shock mount, the bolt going through the lot and the sleeves go through the frame mount hole (one per side).  Snug fit.

Of course the shock is shorter than the fazer, so you need the dog bones (130mm for std height).  I think the shortest bones you could put on are 124mm before the shock spring starts to touch the swingarm.  I made mine 128mm which jacks it up a touch.

The shock itself requires no modifications when fitting this way.  It also needs no grinding at the top like I believe the older shocks do.  The spring that comes on it is stiffer than the Fazer but I had a stiffer one to put on so fitted that to mine.

Rides superbly!!

Currently these shocks are cheap, I got mine for less than £100 on eBay, zero miles.  They have proper threaded preload adjusters etc, a pretty decent shock.  I made some adustments to the comp/rebound and it makes a noticable difference unlike some...
Intentionally left blank

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2018, 07:47:42 pm »
defo better frame clearance im also in the process of making up top hats so the new range r6 shocks can work

good call on the spring as they are softer than the earlier ones

www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2018, 09:03:12 pm »
Yeah I prefer the hats to modifying the shock etc. Makes replacement a bolt on process.

The spring I got was from faulkner. £30 for a red one, or you can get it in yellow, you know, if your that way inclined
Intentionally left blank

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2018, 09:47:35 pm »
defo better frame clearance im also in the process of making up top hats so the new range r6 shocks can work

Are you making some extra ones up to sell? I could do with a new rear shock and that sounds ideal.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2018, 10:19:14 pm »
I wasn't planning on doing. They are simple to make though so maybe
Intentionally left blank

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike: