Date: 19-04-24  Time: 04:16 am

Author Topic: sump plug cock up.  (Read 2672 times)

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
sump plug cock up.
« on: 07 May 2018, 11:58:57 am »
Hi ,changed my oil last year for the first time on the FZS 1000 my self, decided to use a after market off EBay  magnetic sump plug .
The threads on the plug are not as long as standard plug, and when I changed my oil this morning I have found that it has ripped out the first few threads in the sump and obviously my old plug will now not start because of damaged threads!!!!
What the he'll do I do now?
Any ideas?
What is the size of the plug?
Can I retap  as there are still plenty of threads left?
What size tap would I need?
The bike is in my garage so it is stuck there.
Any help or advice would be gratefully received, thanks.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: sump plug cock up.
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2018, 02:33:27 pm »
Looking like the size of the plug is M14x1.5mm ,so if I buy a tapir tap I might have a go? Or does any one have a better idea ?

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2018, 02:42:12 pm »
You can try the tap, it won't "repair" the threads though, just clean them up so your bolt can pass through to the undamaged ones.  You will still only have a small number of threads holding on, might be OK... Other than that it's a helicoil or new case.
Intentionally left blank

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2018, 03:14:43 pm »
I think about 70% of the threads are still there and obviously the first bit will be damaged,  the EBay plug is half the size of original so hopefully I might have a chance,  just so annoyed for using crap plug.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2018, 05:42:59 pm »
You could use a tapered plug or worst case you might need a helicoil repair

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2018, 08:30:34 pm »
You can buy sump plug repair kits, you get a tap and 6 plugs and washers. They go up 1mm. Thing is you have to get the tap dead perpendicular to the hole or it won’t seal. Don’t ask me how I know!

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2018, 06:51:46 am »

Decent quality rubber washers from a local plumbing merchant also work very well.
is it clean enough?

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2018, 09:27:28 am »
Ordered a M14x1.5mm tap from EBay and will try to get the threads going, but if that does not work will go down the plug repair route.
My mate a car mechanic say very common problem on vw cars as they have ally  stumps and he has repaired many over the years and the plug is the same size.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2018, 12:15:05 pm »
 I've used dowty washers instead of traditional sump plug washers.  Like these on eBay 132585478534 check which size you need before ordering.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2018, 02:49:56 pm »
I've used dowty washers instead of traditional sump plug washers.  Like these on eBay 132585478534 check which size you need before ordering.

Agreed, these are good and reusable.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2018, 08:53:32 pm »
I have now received the tap, £ 7 from EBay a tapir and plug tap so not bad.The taper tap fitted straight in and turned easily no problem, the original sump bolt with copper washer is now been fitted and all seems  ok no leak, so hopefully I might have got away with it.

sullspots

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2018, 09:35:06 pm »
I have now received the tap, £ 7 from EBay a tapir and plug tap so not bad.The taper tap fitted straight in and turned easily no problem, the original sump bolt with copper washer is now been fitted and all seems  ok no leak, so hopefully I might have got away with it.

Good stuff,I've seen on another forum someone using plumbers tape to good effect on the sump plug if the thread was a bit ballsed up.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2018, 08:22:49 am »

Just go easy when tightening it, remember you are only tightening up on 70% thread, it would be easy to pull the thread in cast alloy. Great you have it sorted as it would be shame to have the bike in dry dock with this weather.