Date: 19-04-24  Time: 10:30 am

Author Topic: Bike Lift  (Read 2511 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Bike Lift
« on: 03 October 2014, 03:19:32 pm »
Promised myself no tool chest or bike lift till I'd built a wood store or two to get all the stove fuel out of the garage.  Job done, so......

In the market for a bike lift.

Thinking of the usual table lift.  Want one wide enougth to take a paddock stand.  Also must be able to easily get the bike on and secured myself.  Any lifts that need two folks to get the bike safely onto are nae use to me.

So many out there, dunno what to choose.

Thinking of;

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cml3-hydraulic-motorcylce-lift/brand/x-5-star-products

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Bike Lift
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2014, 08:23:57 pm »
they take up a lot of space, would be nice to fit one into the floor so it was level and it would make it easier getting the bike on and off?
Maybe there is one like that, with push button lift/lower and rams to lift front/back wheel up and................

peejay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Bonneville
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2014, 08:36:12 pm »
Had one of these for the past six years. Wouldn't be without it now :)
https://kdbenches.co.uk/product/standard-bench/

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2014, 08:44:38 pm »
I'm presuming with the Clarke bench I can walk the bike straight on and into the wheel clamp, and that's it, I can let go.  Then obviously secure the bike ready for working on.

Garage is about 6 by 4 metres, and if I'm clever about how I arrange things it won't take up that much space when not in use.

Anyone got a Clarke one?

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2014, 09:13:36 pm »
I don't have a bike lift myself, but I've always liked the look of the "eazyrizer" style ones, the big draw being you can get the wheels off whilst its in use as well (but the downside being access to one side is more limited when your using it - so you need to think about what way you mount the bike on it depending on what you want to do).

g5guzzi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - cbf 1000fa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2014, 12:45:51 am »
I'm presuming with the Clarke bench I can walk the bike straight on and into the wheel clamp, and that's it, I can let go.  Then obviously secure the bike ready for working on.

Garage is about 6 by 4 metres, and if I'm clever about how I arrange things it won't take up that much space when not in use.

Anyone got a Clarke one?
Yes i have one i bought in 1992.Earlier version of the one shown in the link.It works well and i wouldnt like to be with out it now.I dont have the wheel clamp shown in the link .The platform on mine is a smooth finish  and i had to put a piece  wood on it to stop the bike slideing when on the centre stand.It also pays to check if you have enough roof height  before lifting the bike to maximum height each time you put a different machine on unless you have  a high roof. Screen heights vary.
It is a one man operation to get the bike on and off the lift but if using a paddock stand i find it safer to get some help unless it is a light bike.Always  make sure when takeing the bike off the lift that the side stand is up or else it hits the lift platform when when the wheel goes down the ramp and unless you are lucky or strong it goes over on its side or hits the wall.Dont ask how i know this.
On mine i find it pays to keep the machine reasonably central else when you lift the ramp or  it can start to tilt to one side.But it was worth every penny it cost me.We have 2 bikes in the garage and one of them is always on the lift to make the most of the availble space.
Malc

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2014, 07:23:11 am »
One of those lifts would look class in my shed 8) I'd have to sell all the bikes to make room for it but it would look class :lol

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2014, 09:02:44 am »
I've had one for seven years and it is very similar to the Clarke one from machine mart. Yes it takes up room when not in use but does make working on the bike much easier and pleasurable. The ramp is a bit steep so you need to have the bike rolling and maintain a good push to get it on. I found I need to chock the lift to stop it moving forward when the bike starts to go up the ramp, even with the front jacks wound down to lift the casters off the floor. Looking at the Machine Mart picture I think the ramp on mine might be a bit shorter, making  the ramp steeper. Maybe I should modify mine a bit  :) .

This is like mine, cheaper than Machine Mart. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000lb-Hydraulic-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Bike-Service-Shop-Lift-Ramp-Table-Bench-/120998533009?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c2c131791
« Last Edit: 04 October 2014, 09:12:49 am by limax2 »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2014, 12:37:14 pm »
Oh boy cannae make ma mind up.

Measured out in my garage (about 6 x 4 m)  and I have got enougth space for one, but;

My driveway is on a fair slope - there a short steep ramp into the garage.  So I think the reality is that I would require a hand getting the bike on as I won't be able to take a nice smooth run at it. 

Can you move the whole thing with the bike on it?  Cos I'd have to pull it back a few inches once the bike was on it.

Starting the warm to the idea of an Abba or Eazyrizer lift.  Think I'll start a new thread on them to try and get the attention of any members using these - hope that's OK.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 October 2014, 10:37:58 am »
Could you not ride it on or walk along side it?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 October 2014, 11:40:39 am »
I've got a short steep ramp into the garage.

I think riding it on is asking for trouble.
Walking it on would be fine, if can you can get the bike rolling, I'm not sure I can, no space to do it.  And using the engine I think again is a inviting a wee whoops a daisy moment.  I think getting it on and back off a table lift would mean two people to avoid accidents in ma garage.  Not sure though.

I'm leaning towards an Abba Skylight at the mo.

http://www.abbastands.co.uk/