Date: 25-04-24  Time: 11:52 am

Author Topic: FITTED SATNAV MOUNT TONIGHT  (Read 2165 times)

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
FITTED SATNAV MOUNT TONIGHT
« on: 18 June 2012, 09:08:54 pm »
Fitted my SatNav mount tonight. Simply drilled a hole in the yoke and fitted the ramball mount shown below. With the SatNav fitted, 0-20mph is obscured by the device, but there's a true speedo reading on the TomTom anyway.

QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GL1800 &amp Commando850
    • View Profile
Re: FITTED SATNAV MOUNT TONIGHT
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2012, 10:29:20 pm »
Looks allright McQ, my Zumo 550 fits with the ram mount u-clamped to the bars in nearly the same position, but it covers even more of the speedo. Tend to read the Sat Nav speed more anyway.  I only use the sat nav when I'm touring which means I use a tank bag too.  My Sat Nav's okay for a tank bag in situ - you happy the Tom will clear a bag okay?
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2012, 11:33:55 pm »
I've had a TomTom V1, V2 and now the V3.  I've also had a Zumo 550. The early TTR's were a major pain in the butt because of a cradle problem which TomTom denied existed, but they seem to have sorted it eventually! Whilst I prefer the Garmin hardware, I have to admit that IMHO the best software award goes to TomTom.

As for Luggage whilst touring, I've got a big 50Ltr Ventura Aero something or other. On other bikes I've had the Bagster Tank Covers and their "Design" tank bag. I do like those and may well get another.

Tom
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

Wilko

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Suzuki RF 400 and 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2012, 12:58:46 am »
I used the bar mount,  where you clamp it to the handlebars.
I put it centrally on the bars, and it looked okay, had to go around the mount to get to the keys, but no major drama. Only thing I found was that it was too low without obscuring the clocks, and as such I would have to physically move my head to look at the screen.
I have now positioned it so that the arm etc comes up behind the clocks and the sat nav actaully sits above the clocks. This has only been possible after buying a bubble type screen to give the extra room. It now saves me physically moving my head to see it, just a downward glance now gives me full vision of the screen and the clocks.
Will try and get a pick soon :-)

Bizbauer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2013, 12:10:13 pm »
Wilko I know it's a long time since this post but how'd you get on with getting pics of your GPS mount behind the clocks?  That sounds like what I'm trying to achieve but need a visual to see how it'll work.  And did you use any extra hardware on top of the supplied kit?

'02 Foxeye, Blue
'05 WR250F
'06 Disco 3 S

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2013, 10:41:30 am »
Wilko I know it's a long time since this post but how'd you get on with getting pics of your GPS mount behind the clocks?  That sounds like what I'm trying to achieve but need a visual to see how it'll work.  And did you use any extra hardware on top of the supplied kit?
Not from Wilko but this is how I fitted a satnav above the clocks on a FZS600 box eye with a double bubble screen.
Satnav mount FZS600 Mk1
Satnav mount FZS600 Mk1
Satnav bracket
Satnav bracket
The satnav case, from Ebay, is a water proof one with a swivel mount on the back that comes with a handle bar mounting bracket. It takes a normal car type satnav, which is much cheaper than a water proof bike specific sat nav. I discarded the handle bar mounting and fitted a 5mm bolt through the tube in the photo and assembled the swivel mount to that.
The tube is 16mm dia x 18s.w.g. and bolted to "L"  shaped brackets that pick up the mirror mounting studs. (I have the longer Mk2 mirrors fitted which I think may have slightly longer studs than the standard mirrors). The tube has aluminium plugs in each end and tapped 5mm for bolting to the "L" brackets.