Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:04 pm

Author Topic: Thanks Freck  (Read 1108 times)

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Thanks Freck
« on: 19 February 2017, 11:02:27 pm »
Decided to get the Fazer out of hibernation yesterday so lifted the cover that has been keeping it warm and dry over winter only to find a spider had made a nest in there and the whole thing was covered in cobwebs.  Tried to start it and all I got was a couple of turns on the starter then nothing.  Decided that as I'd got to dismantle half of it to clean it I'd do something I'd been meaning to do for about the last 4 years, remove the poxy Datatool Evo alarm which I figured was almost certainly the reason for the non-start.  Other than being a pain with constantly setting itself it would flatten the battery if the bike was left for more than a couple of days so I'd been removing the fuse for it whenever the bike was going to be left for more than a few hours.  Traced some of the wiring and found the back to back connectors but they had to be cut off as whoever had fitted it had Superglued them together.  Then got stuck as I'd got a few more wires going to it that I couldn't trace.  had to get my password reset on here as it's been quite a while since I was last here but the foc-u search did the business with this thread http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,17530.msg203127.html#msg203127.  Thanks Freck, with the installation document I was able to restore it to a running state and bin a big plastic box and a load of spurious wiring.  I also found that they actually tell you to Superglue the connectors together!  It's now cleaner than it's ever been since I've owned it.  Just a shame that I spent all of yesterday afternoon and this morning cleaning it and putting it back together that I only had time for a quick run out on it this afternoon to convince myself I'd not forgotten how to ride it.  Hopefully, I'll get a bit more time to actually use it now.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks Freck
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2017, 12:49:50 am »
I had a spider do similar last year only this one got behind the side panel on left by the seat and it was a lady spider who laid shit loads of foccing eggs that turned into hundreds ( I shit you not ) of baby spiders who upon exiting the side panel when I started the bike decided to run all over me via my leg, gives me the itches just thinking about it , bloody hate spiders 🕷 I think mummy spud is still around and puts a web across my front door at night that gets me in the face most mornings 😡

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2017, 05:52:23 pm »
No worries Rusty, glad I could have been of help  :thumbup

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2017, 06:29:29 pm »
The Datatool is a pain because it never goes in to sleep mode. If you need to have an alarm the Meta357T V2 is a better bet as it goes to sleep after 10 days and does not flatten the battery.
Important to remember this if you have a Meta though because the alarm does not sound after the 10 days, but then it won't sound either with a flat battery  :lol Once you switch the ignition back on after more than 10 days the alarm reactivates and if  is not disarmed by the fob with the ignition on the alarm goes off in 10 seconds.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2017, 11:08:47 pm »
Not really bothered about an alarm anyway.  It's an 18 year old bike now so unlikely to be that high on anyone's nick list.  It's safe when at home and as it's only a weekend toy is very rarely left anywhere where it could get lifted.  Even then, when it is out there's usually far more desirable bikes around than mine......