Date: 18-04-24  Time: 12:45 pm

Author Topic: Sprocket change for an old foccer  (Read 1848 times)

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
Sprocket change for an old foccer
« on: 23 June 2012, 12:44:41 pm »
Hi - Time to change the chain and sprockets on my '98 FZS600 - Now before I get flamed too much  :)  when the bike was new I would have happily lowered the gearing for a bit more hooning but to be honest I am now in my mid 40's, planning on doing some euro tours later this year and find the current standard gearing a little too low for my riding style.

So I would appreciate any advice from people who have highered the gearing a little, what sprocket combo worked best? Did it dramatically affect the bikes riding characteristics etc

Any advice and feedback gratefully received

Jonesthesteam

(BTW - Have already arranged to have the modified nut / washer fitted just in cases)

dx408

• custard tart muncher
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki V-Strom 1050
    • View Profile
Re: Sprocket change for an old foccer
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2012, 05:51:14 pm »
I did this and it appeared fine for a while until I rode with a passenger it also posed a problem when driving at very low speed such as when I "did" Wooton Basset when it caused me to stall a couple of times and needed to slip the clutch  quite a lot changed back much better. Hope that helps.
Dont ask it's a chef thing
After 15 years EX-Fazer owner XJR. XJR gone FJR, FJR gone NEW FJR that's gone, now Triumph Tiger Explorer  an CB400n Superdream sold BMW 650 Funduro sold Now a R1200GA Adventure Rallye next ? OK so where next turns out to be V-Strom 1050 NEXT?

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2012, 06:16:08 pm »
I did this and it appeared fine for a while until I rode with a passenger it also posed a problem when driving at very low speed such as when I "did" Wooton Basset when it caused me to stall a couple of times and needed to slip the clutch  quite a lot changed back much better. Hope that helps.

Thanks - What sprocket set up did you change to? one up on front?, not planning on having a pillion but will be putting some luggage on so may keep as std

Jonesthesteam

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2012, 12:59:57 pm »
if you not going to carry a pillion ,then you should be ok?.....up to a 16 on front will drop your rpm apprx 500..using std rear!!very good for motorways etc !.....it will cut your acceleration down ,but if you did start to carry a pillion and luggage etc ,like dx says you will struggle at low speed!!,and will therefore be using your gearbox more than normal!...and you dont want to be slipping your clutch alot?..for obvious reasons!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2012, 06:30:14 pm »
Take a look: www.gearingcommander.com.

I did the contrary and put a 14t front, to enjoy acceleration.

I am with CRH. The difference is about 500 rpm, but I did not notice a lower mileage with pillion and full luggage. Maybe it is just me, but I think it is because there is no need to open the throttle so much when overtaking or high slopes.

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2012, 07:50:46 pm »
don`t want to be a damp sqiub about this, but i`ve always been a bit wary of changing sprockets (especially a smaller front sprocket ) as i have seen some very badly chewed up swing arms over time. happens pretty quickly too. just be careful and check regularly for any abnormally fast wear. Mr Yamaha put those sprockets on for a reason as does all other manufacturers. just my ramblings. ...feel free to tell me to rotate if you wish. cheers Ade

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2012, 08:16:43 pm »
don`t want to be a damp sqiub about this, but i`ve always been a bit wary of changing sprockets (especially a smaller front sprocket ) as i have seen some very badly chewed up swing arms over time. happens pretty quickly too. just be careful and check regularly for any abnormally fast wear. Mr Yamaha put those sprockets on for a reason as does all other manufacturers. just my ramblings. ...feel free to tell me to rotate if you wish. cheers Ade

yah....iam with you on this one ade....good old mr yam....the 600`s a good allrounder in standard form  ;) 
One, is never going to be enough.....

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2012, 08:29:31 pm »

yah....iam with you on this one ade....good old mr yam....the 600`s a good allrounder in standard form  ;)
creep ! :lol

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2012, 09:08:50 am »
Thanks for all your advice - I am going to keep as standard to avoid any possible issues  :)

Jonesthesteam