Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:36 pm

Author Topic: Uneven brake pad wear  (Read 2245 times)

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Uneven brake pad wear
« on: 19 September 2020, 12:33:26 pm »
Does uneven brake pad wear indicate an issue with my wheel?

Long time no hear! It's been a few years since I was last on here...

I took my bike in to the Yammy stealer for a puncture repair (turns out it was just the valves), when I set off I immediately noticed a rubbing sound from the front, took it back and they said it was the front wheel bearing.

I've just checked for play and the wheel is solid. So I took the brake calipers off (they were a bit sticky), and the front left(facing the bike) has almost worn out the inside pad. The right side pads are pretty even, if slightly more worn on the inside.

But it's a bit odd to have just one pad worn out - does that indicate some other issue?

And does anyone recommend some replacement pads?

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
Re: Uneven brake pad wear
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2020, 03:09:14 pm »
Sounds like the pistons are sticky or seized,  give them a good clean and a smear of red rubber grease
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2020, 05:29:19 pm »
  • Took it back and they said it was the front wheel bearing.
  • So I took the brake calipers off (they were a bit sticky), and the front left(facing the bike) has almost worn out the inside pad.
  • But it's a bit odd to have just one pad worn out - does that indicate some other issue?
  • And does anyone recommend some replacement pads?
  • Of course they are going to state an expensive job, I imagine they didn't even test the bike and the 'diagnosis' was from the sales/service guy.... :2fingers
  • There is your answer, one or more of your pistons on the opposit side to the pad that is badly worn is sticking, simples.
  • Nope, its called sticking pistons. If you have the time I would recommend a full caliper service, its easy enough.
  • Either gen Yamaha if you can find them checp enough, failing that SBK (Gnasher recommends) or worse case EBC.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2020, 05:32:52 pm »
Oh and the rubbing sound is the metal backing material of one of the pads rubbing against the disc, better replace the pads now before you start doing damage to the disc/s.
And Welcome back fella.

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2020, 06:22:18 pm »
Oh and the rubbing sound is the metal backing material of one of the pads rubbing against the disc, better replace the pads now before you start doing damage to the disc/s.
And Welcome back fella.

Thanks man! I'd be on more often if the site wasn't blocked by work, as I rarely switch my pc on after work.

I'll check out the pistons, the dealer is the same one who passed my MOT when the tyre pressures were about 20psi  :eek

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2020, 08:41:54 pm »
  • Thanks man! I'd be on more often if the site wasn't blocked by work, as I rarely switch my pc on after work.
  • The dealer is the same one who passed my MOT when the tyre pressures were about 20psi  :eek
  • Use a VPN, or use on yer phone
  • Sounds you need to find a different local shop, they clearly cant be trusted. The above is a revocation of their MOT license and a fine if they were to be reported.

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2020, 12:57:15 pm »
Ahhh, just had a check for other motorcycle places around - found one just around the corner that I didn't know was there, independent and very good reviews.

Last place I went to for immobiliser installation I had to catch a taxi back as they didn't have the insurance to lend me a bike.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2020, 04:14:04 pm »
Last place I went to for immobiliser installation I had to catch a taxi back as they didn't have the insurance to lend me a bike.
They don't need insurance,  :groan as long as you have a policy that allows to you ride other bikes your good to go.

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2020, 03:15:02 pm »
Well that was the excuse they gave me.

I haven't been able to find anything on SBK brake pads? Did you mean SBS?

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2020, 03:25:32 pm »
Actually I found the post - SBS it is.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2020, 03:52:18 pm »
Well that was the excuse they gave me.

I haven't been able to find anything on SBK brake pads? Did you mean SBS?

He did  ;) :)
Later

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2020, 03:58:54 pm »
When they stick it's not always just a simple matter of freeing the off with a little grease.   Every piston should be as free and I mean free one finger easy push in anymore and they will stick again.  Water/moisture gets under the dust and sometimes the main seal, which will oxidise and swell, this places pressure on the seal which in turn makes the pistons stick.

Often the only way is to strip the caliper and clean out the rebate/s.     
Later

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2020, 07:05:01 pm »
I only checked the left side, all the pistons were solid as a rock! Definitely needs some cleaning.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2020, 08:43:08 pm »
Often the only way is to strip the caliper and clean out the rebate/s. 
+1

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 September 2020, 02:02:54 pm »
Quote from: bigfootpete on 20 September 2020, 12:57:15 PM

They don't need insurance,  :groan as long as you have a policy that allows to you ride other bikes your good to go.

Most, but not all, insurance policies allow you to ride other private bikes that do not belong to you with the owners permission and as long as the bike has a valid private insurance policy on it.

The vast majority of policies (as far as I am aware) will not allow you to ride bikes owned by commercial businesses. 

And if you are taking a courtesy bike, remember it is your legal responsibility to ensure that you are suitably insured.  Make sure their policy is comprehensive and check the excess. 

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 September 2020, 02:38:18 pm »
Ok, after the last independent mechanic told me it was going to be expensive to sort out my stuck pistons (I heard, "I don't want to do it mate").

I gave it a whirl myself - the left side I managed to free up but they are still reluctant to move but they do move.

On the right side they move freely but the problem I have is that I can't get them to stay down. So I put the new brake pads in, but the pistons force them together so I can't put the calliper back on the disc.

Any ideas?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 September 2020, 02:45:27 pm »
Ok, after the last independent mechanic told me it was going to be expensive to sort out my stuck pistons (I heard, "I don't want to do it mate").

I gave it a whirl myself - the left side I managed to free up but they are still reluctant to move but they do move.

On the right side they move freely but the problem I have is that I can't get them to stay down. So I put the new brake pads in, but the pistons force them together so I can't put the calliper back on the disc.

Any ideas?

What do you mean you can't get them to stay down? Do you mean they come out on their own when you push them back? If so then take off the brake fluid reservoir lid before you push them back, that will let the excess air out 👍 just make sure to out it back on before squeezing the lever again haha

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 September 2020, 03:00:38 pm »

Any ideas?

Mate I'm not being funny here, but it appears you're out of your depth here.  Things are easy...... when you know how!  The internet is full is people (Utube) and this forum offering advice, mostly for the right reasons, e.g. trying to help a follow biker etc.  Which is fine, if you've not got sufficient experience and know how, to follow what appears to them simple, it just isn't that simple.

They're many pro mechanics out there who will sort out your calipers.  As for cost it really depends on what state they're in and what if any parts need replacing and that is what can make it expensive. 

Later

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 September 2020, 04:30:53 pm »

Any ideas?

What do you mean you can't get them to stay down? Do you mean they come out on their own when you push them back? If so then take off the brake fluid reservoir lid before you push them back, that will let the excess air out 👍 just make sure to out it back on before squeezing the lever again haha

Yep, that's what I meant, I'll give it a try thanks. Didn't want to go down the removal of the brake line from the calliper as then it gets messy.

@Gnasher I'm no expert but I'm not going to ride it unless I'm 100% sure I've done the job properly and then tested them.

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 September 2020, 04:52:30 pm »

That worked, thanks Dude, push test passed, I'll try to do a proper test tomorrow.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 September 2020, 05:41:38 pm »
@Gnasher I'm no expert but I'm not going to ride it unless I'm 100% sure I've done the job properly and then tested them.

Good luck with that, hope it all works out for you :)
Later

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 October 2020, 01:25:57 pm »
All good thanks, although I will probably get them properly serviced at some stage (by a pro).