Date: 20-04-24  Time: 17:38 pm

Author Topic: Forks Leaking  (Read 869 times)

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
Forks Leaking
« on: 28 November 2020, 11:17:49 am »
I have leaking forks between the slider and the aluminium lower section. I have bought some new oil seals, dust covers and lower bushes. My dealer tells me the upper bushes hardly ever wear out. This will save me £28 plus postage.
What do the experts think on here? The bike has done 30k miles
Thanks

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Forks Leaking
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2020, 01:35:02 pm »
I have leaking forks between the slider and the aluminium lower section. I have bought some new oil seals, dust covers and lower bushes. My dealer tells me the upper bushes hardly ever wear out. This will save me £28 plus postage.
What do the experts think on here? The bike has done 30k miles
Thanks

I'm assuming this is for FZS1000 (as per your main bike) and not FZ1.  When you say bushes I'm also assuming you mean slides, your strealer talking crap mate, these wear at the same rate.  That said unless you've or previous owners have been off roading, or low on oil they don't as a rule wear that much, I wouldn't expect them to need replacing on a bike of 30k.

Most fork seals fail due either to crud build up in the seal gland/s or the stantion is damaged, pitted or bent, the other common is cheap replacement seals and/or badly fitted i.e. bent.  Thoroughly inspect the stantion surface for any signs of the above mentioned, if none is present it's likely it's just crud, which often can just be cleaned or that they're cheap seals and have failed.  As you've got new just fit them, be careful removing the old ones and be sure to drift the new olds in square or you'll bend them and they'll be leaking in no time.     
Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2020, 02:13:58 pm »
Firstly, try a Sealmate

https://sealmate.net/

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2020, 03:52:30 pm »
Thanks both. Yes, Gen 1 Fazer. I've noted what you have both suggested, I'll try a Seal Mate first because if it works it is a much easier resolution, particularly as the bike is fairly low mileage. They look like the original seals. Only one side is leaking so if the Seal Mate does work, lets hope I've not lost too much fluid from the leaking leg and it upsets the balance of the bike.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2020, 04:14:33 pm »
Given the price you've quoted I'm assuming you've got all of the parts from the dealer and so it's probably too late to do anything about it but whilst I'd definately go with OEM seals, I'd happily go with pattern bushes and dust covers from somewhere like K-Tech or Wemoto so maybe get the other bushes from there as they'll be less than half the price as it would be daft not to replace the bushes as a set.

I'd be interested to know if the Seal Mate works so keep us posted.