Date: 23-04-24  Time: 13:21 pm

Author Topic: rear wheel movement issue  (Read 3021 times)

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
rear wheel movement issue
« on: 28 April 2016, 12:54:47 pm »
Hi All,

yesterday I was gonna lubricate my chain. And the rear wheel has not turning freely.

On center stand and in neutral the wheel turns freely and fine just a little say 4 inches and than stucks and stops suddenly to the point you can't move it with hand, two hands or foot at all. Happens in both directions.

I have removed the rear brake caliper - same problem it stucks.

I have tried the same with clutch pulled in - same problem. When in 1st gear with clucth pulled in the rear wheel does not moves at all eceb an inch. In neutral moves few inches.

The bike rides and feels fine when riding. Clutch seems to engage and disengage the same way it always was before that issue.

Can't lubricate my chain though.

Any ideas what may be the problem?

Thank you in advance.

cheers
Val
« Last Edit: 28 April 2016, 01:09:41 pm by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: rear wheel movement issue
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2016, 01:02:48 pm »
You've ruled out the rear brake and disc so I think you've only two things left. The chain and the wheel bearings. Try taking the chain off and see the problem goes. If it doesn't it's probably the wheel bearings

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2016, 01:18:43 pm »
+1 for wheel bearings, although when they're on their way out you should be able to feel and hear them as well.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2016, 01:39:13 pm »
Can you move the bike by pushing it?  Is the back wheel well of the ground when the bike is on the centrestand?  Have you got a hugger fitted?

Have you tried running the bike in gear on the centre stand to see if you can spot/hear anything odd

Try slackening the rear wheel spindle so it can turn then try moving wheel, if it's seized bearing the wheel should turn more easily.  Remember to tighten spindle afterwards before riding bike again!

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2016, 07:03:59 pm »
Can you move the bike by pushing it?  Is the back wheel well of the ground when the bike is on the centrestand?  Have you got a hugger fitted?

Have you tried running the bike in gear on the centre stand to see if you can spot/hear anything odd

Try slackening the rear wheel spindle so it can turn then try moving wheel, if it's seized bearing the wheel should turn more easily.  Remember to tighten spindle afterwards before riding bike again!

Thank you guys. Your suggestion probably will be the right one.

Bearing may be the case or something in the rear axle. I have ridden 20 minutes with low pace to the nearest motorcycle garage. The guy (Keith Manning) has loosen the rear axle spindle bolt a little and the wheel moves freely. That discards chain and/or clutch.

Either bearing or something else hapenning there. And the bolt and the axle both were very warm.

Left it with the mechanic it is too complicated for my skills. I know you will say its easy to change bearing, but I do not have the tools and prefer a mechanic to do that  :lol
« Last Edit: 28 April 2016, 07:04:59 pm by Val »

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2016, 07:14:37 pm »
Remove the wheel then find a really big Hill, give it a gentle tap at the top of the hill, if it rolls down freely then it's still a wheel, if it's banging and jumping all over the place then it's become a box!
Some say...

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2016, 09:14:50 pm »
Sounds like a totally seized bearing.  Be as well replacing both wheel bearings and the sprocket carrier bearing

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2016, 10:11:28 pm »
Get double shielded (rubber) pop one shield off and pack the bearing full of grease. Fit bearing sheild side out.
Someone will say they're sealed for life but there's very little grease in them so slar plenty on them and they'll last far longer
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2016, 09:37:45 am »
Sounds like a totally seized bearing.  Be as well replacing both wheel bearings and the sprocket carrier bearing

Good call. Just have called the mechanic - it was seized sprocket bearing and I have told him to order the other two as well. Thanks  :thumbup