Date: 25-04-24  Time: 01:22 am

Author Topic: Driving in England  (Read 2102 times)

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
Driving in England
« on: 03 February 2015, 08:04:25 am »
 :rollin

ß
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
Re: Driving in England
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2015, 08:41:34 am »
Got that right, I can travel all the way from the Costa Blanca through Spain and then France. Only place I may have a slight delay is likely to be Rouen. Then I get the ferry and arrive in car park Britain. Mind you the state of the roads with potholes just as well you only crawl along. The so called upgrades to the motorway system M1 M6 I never seem to see any change or the work has got any further. Traffic cones is another thing 5 miles before and 5 miles after and all you pass is someone repairing a small section of armco barrier. In Spain and France all you get is a wagon with a big feck off flashing arrow pointing you to move over to the next lane.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2015, 08:45:30 am »
:agree

Whenever I drive down to the other house, the only traffic I see is in Rouen and even then, its only if you hit it near rush hour.

Regarding the road works, I was going done the A28 in France last year and there was a section about 5 miles long that they had dug up to resurface. Came back 5 days later and they had finished it and re-opened all the lanes. Why cant the brits be that efficient?
« Last Edit: 03 February 2015, 08:47:01 am by BBROWN1664 »
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2015, 03:26:12 pm »
must be the weather????

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2015, 02:00:03 pm »
not to bad in wales, keep out of the citys, simples. :lol
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2015, 02:31:14 pm »
must be the weather????

feck all to do with the weather, Rouen has a similar climate to the SE of England just they crack on and get the job done. Also the volume of traffic is heavy on that stretch of road. Maybe not M1 M6 M25 heavy but heavy enough. The road close by me here in Spain they did a 5km section both sides in a week. Okay all they did was fresh top and dress but they never seem to let it get to the stage of letting potholes get big enough to allow a juggernaut lorry to fall into. Lack of resources and a bunch of lazy assholes is the problem in the UK. Look at network rail for fecksake always delays when carrying out maintainence on the tracks, Christmas and new year was a disaster for commuters.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2015, 11:00:46 pm »
:rollin

What a prick.

Of course he totally misses the point that he's just part of the problem.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2015, 06:51:19 am »
Made me laugh.

Seems he's driving some lorry, big vehicle, so he probably has to do it for a living. I'd go evne worse insane after just one day in such traffic.

Even in my city, which is not too congested, I get nervous when I have to drive. Bicycle (preferably), motorcycle (if it's really hot hot summer heat), but no driving. During a rush hour I literarly arrive as fast on a bicycle as I do with a car - not to mention looking for parking space.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2015, 08:10:10 am »
must be the weather????

feck all to do with the weather, Rouen has a similar climate to the SE of England just they crack on and get the job done. Also the volume of traffic is heavy on that stretch of road. Maybe not M1 M6 M25 heavy but heavy enough. The road close by me here in Spain they did a 5km section both sides in a week. Okay all they did was fresh top and dress but they never seem to let it get to the stage of letting potholes get big enough to allow a juggernaut lorry to fall into. Lack of resources and a bunch of lazy assholes is the problem in the UK. Look at network rail for fecksake always delays when carrying out maintainence on the tracks, Christmas and new year was a disaster for commuters.

Not all a bunch of lazy assholes Lew - the problem over here is beaurocracy and Safety Legislation - which we abide by and the rest of Europe don't. Also, they do lots of their repairs in thin one coat temporary overlays. It does keep the repair time down, but the repair doesn't last very long. A proper asphalt repair in the UK will last anywhere from 10 years (poor quality work) to 30 years (the quality of work we did in the late 70's and early 80's.

The Eurppean way of doing it works well in the short term (the term that concerns politicians), but in the long, our methods/materials lasted much longer and were better value - even though the initial cost is more, you only do half, or one third, of the repairs.

Where we went wrong was adopting the European materials, with the savings at the time, and then expecting the roads to still last as long (pretty stupid in my opinion), now we're paying the price.

In a past job, I've participated in the World Roads Conference events and was always surprised at how much other people's roads cost to maintain in the longer term - but their rewards are "newer road surfaces more often, that take less time to resurface, but they also have more resurfacings (over 30 years).

I actually would prefer some of the "foreign" methods, but the cost to the UK in the long term would be a massive increase (for a short term saving).
« Last Edit: 07 February 2015, 08:12:42 am by Millietant »

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 February 2015, 10:22:31 am »
Millietant, the lazy assholes was very tongue in cheek, but driving on the UK motorway networks for me Usually M1/M6 /M25. Propbaly the busiest road networks in Europe. The number of times one spends stopped and you look at what is supposed to be going on all I ever seem to notice is the workforce standing talking.
You obviously are in the game so know more than I would ever pretend to know about road construction and maintainence.
To actually say that the rest of Europe do not abide by safety legislation  I think is a bit like me saying lazy assholes. Perhaps the rest of EU has the safety thing right and as a rule do not see the need for 5 miles of traffic cones while some one replaces a section of armco barrier. While I do appreciate that the work force needs to be protected and should have a safe working environment to carry out repairs we do overkill with cones.

Concerning how roads are maintained certainly here in Spain to me is better than the UK. I travel a on the AP23/A23 which runs from Valencia up the centre of Spain to Zaragoza and beyond. It is toll free, and is starting to get a bit tired now. What they have been doing is sections North bound, were it is really getting bad. They relay sections maybe 100/150 mtrs at a stretch , job done in a couple of days, very little disruption to traffic flow, I will admit that there is nowhere near the volume of traffic on that road as to any of our UK M/ways but they do crack on. Last time I used it was Christmas and I noticed that heading south bound they have now started to resurface very long sections now. Again though traffic still keeps moving but as said volume is much less than UK. I see the sense of what they are doing, being winter time the traffic volume heading south is even less as the tourist season has finished. To me there thinking is get the work done asap so the delays during summer months is reduced when the traffic starts flowing in  greater numbers for the tourists heading back. I expect that next year they will relay the North bound carriage ways.
Surley one of the problems in the UK is that of funding for road repairs construction??Why after all UK road tax is one of the highest in Europe. I pay €50 a year, that amount is not paid into the national coffers as it is in the UK. it is paid into my local area athourity. I suspect that the road fund licencing fee paid in the UK is a form of stealth tax used by the government and likely as not very little of it is used for road contruction/maintainence. If that is the case it is wrong, maybe they should adopt the same system as they do in Spain.
One thing I would do in the UK is all foreign registered lorries and cars should pay a toll charge based on milage travelled inthe UK. This would not be hard to setup, everyone stumps up a minimum toll fee of £100 for wagons and £50 for cars. The oddometer reading can be taken at the entry port while checking in and again when departing if a wagon has only covered say 200 miles he gets a refund of say 30% and the same for cars also a reducing % for more miles travelled. This may sound expensive but for me to travel from Calais to Bordeaux via toll roads is about €35/40. I am sure folk will get the jist of what I mean.

You say that roads in the UK are /were of a better quality contruction at the outset than a lot of EU roads , perhaps the fact that they are /were the UK is paying a price today. I would say this that when the UK went on Motorway construction they were very short sighted, okay it was what 60 years ago when we started building motorways? why oh why did they not decide then that a minimum of three or four carraiage ways should have been the standard. If they had done that we would have been able to do road maintainence better and cheaper in the long run.
We need to start moving more heavy traffic off the roads now. There is no reason that a lot of frieght cannot be shipped around the coast or better use of the rail network be utilised, especially during night time. Most of Northern Europe has a terrific canal network system. We used to have one as well, same as the rail network system was extensive but we let that rundown also, thankyou Lord/Doctor  Beeching.
I am on a roll here , who was the minister for transport at the time motorway construction started? Ernest Marples? would that have been the same Marples as in Marples Ridgeway? didn't they build roads way back in the 50's :rolleyes

I could go on and I am sure many have said what the feck is he smoking lol.
I do think that road maintainence in the UK could learn a lot from how the job is done on mainland Europe.

« Last Edit: 07 February 2015, 10:29:30 am by lew600fazer »

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 February 2015, 10:27:18 am »