Date: 20-04-24  Time: 05:12 am

Author Topic: front lights mod legal requirements  (Read 3309 times)

chrischristopherson1313

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
front lights mod legal requirements
« on: 08 May 2016, 05:31:45 am »
Hi is it full head lights beam legal requirements?
I have changed H4 for H1 on both lights , (modified bulb holder of course)
Now I have left side light on all the time or both when I swich on high beam switch.
But becouse of that I loose high beam H4 option which it's fine with me
As I am never usually it anyway.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: front lights mod legal requirements
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2016, 08:49:31 am »
It's not just a high beam, it's a passing light as well, you'd have been better off swapping to both H4 instead.
Looks like a fail anyway.

http://www.motuk.com/Motorcycle%20MOT.asp
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

chrischristopherson1313

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2016, 09:42:30 am »
It's not just a high beam, it's a passing light as well, you'd have been better off swapping to both H4 instead.

Ok i have read somewhere else that high bean are not required.
I can't put H4 as it be to bright for other vehicles?

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2016, 09:54:29 am »

i have H4 100w in both sides full+ main beam work on both lights  :)

as for TOOOOO BRIGHT for others     ferk m   they always say they never saw us officer ! ! ! 
if they can`t see a bright light coming towards them then they must drive with eyes closed
waters wet, shit stinks !

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2016, 12:50:36 pm »

I believe 02/03 models come with H4 both sides anyway.
As for being too bright, absolutely no chance with the light reflectors that are on your bike.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2016, 01:07:55 pm »
Its been years since i did the mod but I think mine has both normal beams on both sides and on full beam I think it is just one side that comes on. But I think my modded side looks brighter when you see it from the opposing traffic because it is pointing in that direction, which is why when i did the mod on the instructions from this sight it included an in-line fuse to take out so it was quickly OEM spec for the mot as otherwise the beam pattern would be wrong.

I dont ride at night and I only did the mod for better daylights-onvisibility

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2016, 04:57:03 pm »

... if they can`t see a bright light coming towards them then they must drive with eyes closed
It's hard to judge distance when you're being dazzled.
There used to be a monthly article called "Crash Course" in one of the bike mags many years ago. By someone from the insurance industry, it was a brief explanation of police findings from various accidents.
One such case was a fatal head-on collision between a bike and car at night on a hazard-free bit of road. The conclusion was that the bike had its lights on full beam, the car driver couldn't see where he was going, braked, but it wasn't enough.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2016, 06:00:26 pm »

... if they can`t see a bright light coming towards them then they must drive with eyes closed
There used to be a monthly article called "Crash Course" in one of the bike mags many years ago. By someone from the insurance industry, it was a brief explanation of police findings from various accidents.
One such case was a fatal head-on collision between a bike and car at night on a hazard-free bit of road. The conclusion was that the bike had its lights on full beam, the car driver couldn't see where he was going, braked, but it wasn't enough.
It just shows you that when it comes to bikes its hard to do right for doing wrong.
Just the other day I saw a bike with two extra side lights mounted on the crash-bars and they were flashing like the ones that you see cyclists use - they about through me into an epelict fit

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2016, 11:08:02 pm »
Any chance of telling/showing how you done this as I was looking into doing this recently but failed as I couldn't figure out a way to put a H4 on the nearside.

Cheers
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

dublet

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2016, 11:19:55 pm »

It just shows you that when it comes to bikes its hard to do right for doing wrong.
Just the other day I saw a bike with two extra side lights mounted on the crash-bars and they were flashing like the ones that you see cyclists use - they about through me into an epelict fit
If you really want to be seen and be legal, get some daylight running lights. :)
If anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 May 2016, 06:05:53 am »

as for TOOOOO BRIGHT for others     ferk m   they always say they never saw us officer ! ! ! 
if they can`t see a bright light coming towards them then they must drive with eyes closed

Isn't that taking a bit of a risk?
Have a read of this.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/electrical-systems/254192-100w-vs-55w-bulbs.html

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 May 2016, 10:45:30 am »

If you really want to be seen and be legal, get some daylight running lights. :)
You mean extra light as I already ride with both left and right lights on, like I said they are not full beam but one side points more at the oncoming traffic so it looks brighter, they dont blind anyone because I dont ride at night

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 May 2016, 11:25:18 am »
Apart from 100W being illegal (although how could anyone tell easily?) the alternator puts out 18A at 5000 rpm. Two 100W is going to take about 16A so you have bugger all left for tail lamp (0.5A), brake light (2A) and indicators (2A front and 2A back).
Malc

Old enough to know better.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 May 2016, 01:04:45 pm »
Apart from 100W being illegal (although how could anyone tell easily?) the alternator puts out 18A at 5000 rpm. Two 100W is going to take about 16A so you have bugger all left for tail lamp (0.5A), brake light (2A) and indicators (2A front and 2A back).

And don't forget the ignition system probably takes between 25 and 50 watts so that's another 2A to 4A.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: 09 May 2016, 01:25:20 pm »
You don't use an H4 on the near side. That stays as an H1 and does low beam only.
The mod makes a change to the off side only and uses the existing H4 bulb that's there. All you are doing is enabling the low beam on the off-side which does stay on when high beam is turned on.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2016, 05:53:57 pm »
Any chance of telling/showing how you done this as I was looking into doing this recently but failed as I couldn't figure out a way to put a H4 on the nearside.

Cheers

i`ll take some photos at the weekend  and post
waters wet, shit stinks !