Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:01 pm

Author Topic: Anyone 3D printed parts?  (Read 2015 times)

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Anyone 3D printed parts?
« on: 23 February 2016, 02:16:07 pm »
I'm just looking at ordering an inner panel for the fairing from the US (£25-ish plus delivery) when I suddenly had a brain wave (or fart, depending on your point of view...).

Surely it would be possible to 3D print these?

I know a couple of guys from flight sim forums who make 3D printed home cockpit parts and joystick bits - so I'll ask them.

Anyone here tried it?

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone 3D printed parts?
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2016, 03:58:56 pm »
I've done some 3D printing in uni, it depends largely on the type of 3D printing it is (SLS,DLP stereo lithography etc) some of it is not that structural and has weaknesses across the linear boundaries. If it's properly designed then I'm sure one of the processes will work for you assuming you can get a good enough contoured finished. Some of the stuff I printed was rough as a badgers arse, 0.1 steps on any curves so not really that cosmetically nice.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2016, 08:54:55 pm »
I've done some 3D printing in uni, it depends largely on the type of 3D printing it is (SLS,DLP stereo lithography etc) some of it is not that structural and has weaknesses across the linear boundaries. If it's properly designed then I'm sure one of the processes will work for you assuming you can get a good enough contoured finished. Some of the stuff I printed was rough as a badgers arse, 0.1 steps on any curves so not really that cosmetically nice.

Just curious, how do you know what a badgers arse feels like? Is it something you would like to share with us foccers :lol :lol :lol

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2016, 10:34:01 pm »
I could t possibly comment :rollin

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2016, 11:40:24 am »
You don't live in Germany, by any chance?  :b

Bestiality's best, boys...

Thanks for the info - I'll ask the guys I know and send them a photo - they do some pretty good stuff, so we'll see what they say - never know, it might turn out a good source.

http://lynx.dk/development.html

and

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/debolestis
« Last Edit: 26 February 2016, 11:44:28 am by JD-LincsUK »

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2016, 06:32:50 pm »
Current state of affairs - I got the following from my 3D printing friend in Denmark today:

im pretty sure it can be done, as i looks like it dosnt matter if the bottom side, (the side you cant see) easily could be made flat without anyone seeing it.

That gives me a surface i can print from, and i can make the part much thicker than the original part, and if it has to be really good, then i print it in 2 parts, and screw them together....

If it will be stronger in the winters, i dont know... that had to be tested i guess.... and i would also need an original piece to make a model. a broken one would do... i just need the basic dimensions, hole positions and height....

So I'm going to send him one.

Not sure about the 'make two parts and screw them together' part - but the guy has done some pretty amazing cockpit panels, so who knows.

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2016, 06:52:39 am »
And your mate can do this for £25 plus delivery from Denmark? Don't forget these things bend when you put them in place. They have little tags on the underside to clip to the fairing and you see the thing whenever you look at the bike.

I don't think it's worth it to save £25 plus some postage.