Date: 29-03-24  Time: 08:40 am

Author Topic: Help Please - Cooling Fan Not Working  (Read 3242 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please - Cooling Fan Not Working
« Reply #25 on: 05 March 2020, 07:47:31 am »
Excellent thread, very interesting reading. Glad that you're about to all be sorted Mike. Christian, you are the  :thumbup man.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

schlumpf

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 March 2020, 09:41:20 am »
Some updates.
The add-on circuitry has finally arrived and been attached by Mike. Unfortunatelly it didn't work as expected. Most likely the defective parts on the main board interfere and prevent it to function properly. Seems they have to be removed first. As this is a quite delicate operation we concluded to stop here. For now he's living with a manual switch.
To share our learnings I've put all information into a pdf. Hopefully that gives others some help and guidance. Feedback is welcome. Excuse my english, it's not my first language.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 March 2020, 10:08:13 am »
Just to add to what Christian has written.  Firstly, I've been through his troubleshooting guide and it's very clear and informative.  No need to excuse his English, either.  :)  Like everything he offers regarding the Gen 1 electronics, it's accurate and concise. 

My decision to hold fire on working on the instrument cluster main board was prompted by me not wanting - at this time - to risk damaging the board attempting delicate soldering work which I haven't yet practiced.  I'll be working on those skills over the next few weeks.  Once I feel ready, I plan on replacing the original TR34 transistor on the main board because I would like to have everything functioning and in original condition for when I sell the bike. 

I have no doubt that Christian's add-on circuit would work as intended but at present, it causes the fan to operate constantly regardless of coolant temp.  Christian has determined that this is probably because the faulty transistor is shorting his circuit direct to earth and activating the fan relay as a result.  Since I would have to remove TR34 to cure this, I figure I might as well replace it directly with a new transistor while I'm at it.  However, access to the transistor requires either dismantling the instrument cluster completely or removing some surrounding plastic with a dremel to get at it.  A delicate job and one which I'm postponing until I have the parts to hand and feel ready to take it on.

In the meantime, the manual fan switch and LED warning light will do me fine.  It's what I've relied on for most of the past 54k miles anyway.  During normal riding, the fan never comes on but riding in town/traffic, it's good to be able to switch it on early to keep the coolant and oil temps down here in sunny Spain.

Finally, Christian has been in constant contact with me via e-mail giving advice and encouragement.  He went out of his way to build the circuit for me and to ship it to Spain.  How good is that, eh?  Oh, and when I took a look at his Multigauge on my bike for the first time since installing it some 15 years ago, I appreciated more fully just what a genius creation it is.  Beautifully engineered and packaged, absolutely unique back when he first designed and built it and still functioning perfectly today.  Thanks a million, mate! :)