Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:47 am

Author Topic: Rear wheel roller bearing help  (Read 4621 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: Rear wheel roller bearing help
« Reply #25 on: 25 January 2020, 09:14:29 am »
good progress there ROBBO  :thumbup .......looks good and the gloss finish should make the wheels easier to clean......
One, is never going to be enough.....

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 January 2020, 10:30:59 am »
Thanks Mr Red. Easy cleaning will hopefully be the main advantage, coupled with a shinier look to the wheels which is just a personal preference.  :thumbup

Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 January 2020, 01:58:17 pm »
they look stunning robbo, brilliant colour and finish mate, should look mustard on the bike :)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 January 2020, 03:37:25 pm »
Thanks Mr.Ogri. I must admit I'll be bricking it when the tyres are fitted after reading your account of "shelling", which is something I'd never considered. I'll keep you posted :lol .

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 January 2020, 04:52:18 pm »
that was probably as much my fault in truth mate, what with my builders 'fingers like pigs tits' as my mate Graeme likes to tell me  :lol ;)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 25 January 2020, 06:49:05 pm »
that was probably as much my fault in truth mate, what with my builders 'fingers like pigs tits' as my mate Graeme likes to tell me  :lol ;)
:rollin :rollin

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26 January 2020, 11:01:05 am »
good thread this  :) ....

been replacing a rear wheel bearing in my 2002 ford fusion,drum brake on the rear same as a fiesta, i always use the same method,brake drum in the oven at max for 30 mins and the bearing in the freezer overnight,bearing on these drums are 45/50mm deep and would be a struggle if you didn`t have a press,i dont have one so up early this morning as i need the cage for work tomorrow ,i put the bearing in the freezer early evening yesterday and the drum went in the oven this morning on max for 30mins,got everything ready in the garage for a swift install ,old bearing outer to use as a drift and a massive chair makers sash cramp with jaws deep enough to take the drum.......armed with some thick gloves,bearing out of the freezer,drum out of the oven and out to the garage,laid the drum on the bench and offered up the bearing making sure its square before i press it in with the cramp.......lined it up and let it go and it fell to the bottom of the drum    :D :D :D :D     had some funny looks from the neighbours as i danced around the garden      :lol

seen this on you tube a lot but this is the first time ive been able to do it thinking there must be something iam missing,i always end up winding it in with the cramp.....

great buy with the bearing tool ROBBO :thumbup ....added to my must have list....wheels a bit big to get in the oven and the heat might affect your power coating but i strongly recommend and overnight stay for the bearing in the freezer  :thumbup ...hope it goes well...

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 26 January 2020, 11:38:00 am »
yup a good thread mate, I do love learning stuff :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 26 January 2020, 01:06:43 pm »
yep  :thumbup ....it will be a sad day when you stop learning......

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 26 January 2020, 03:37:23 pm »
Well done Mr.Red, love it when a plan comes together :thumbup :thumbup . Saved you some time and effort, especially after the battle you had stripping the mighty thou.Yep, have a similar plan in mind regarding the freezer. Am keeping the wheels in the house to be at least better than garage temp. then apply heat with a hair dryer. I won't put the roller bearing in the freezer for too long as might make it's inbuilt rubber seals too brittle and may damage them. To make sure I've got an accurately fitting drift for the ball bearings , I just cut across the old outer bearing face with an angle grinder, so you end up with a broken circle. If the new bearing is to be fitted in a recessed housing it won't matter if the "drift" follows it in as it can easily be dug out as it's not a tight fit due to not being a continuous circle.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 26 January 2020, 04:26:26 pm »
good point about the rubber seal in the bearing  ;) .....perhaps i had better start getting all technical and start to monitor the temps for the perfect fitting temps...........beautiful sound when that bearing dropped in  :D :D :D :D :D .....still making me smile now  :lol

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27 January 2020, 12:17:11 am »

Got my wheels back from Triple S. So much better than the previous cowboys. Apparently when the previous powder coat was removed the original wheel paint was still on the wheels so they hadn’t even been blasted before they were coated. That probably explains why it was such a poor finish.

The finish from Triple S is flawless and the masking absolutely spot-on, nothing for me to do except put them back together. Have invested in a new set of Brembo Serie Oro discs and titanium disc bolts.

Wheels
Wheels
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27 January 2020, 09:45:40 am »
Nice :thumbup . Glad you're happy with the result after the drama you'd had. Wow, new discs and bolts too, nice one. My budget is a tad smaller :lol , so originals going back on, but have read several accounts of 100,000 miles plus on original discs providing genuine pads are used, which I do. Have you got a method in mind for replacing the roller bearing?.

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27 January 2020, 12:54:56 pm »
To be fair, my existing discs are absolutely fine for wear. I always use Yamaha pads as well. Just the bolts and inner mounting section are getting a bit scabby so decided to leave them on my existing wheels and treat the new wheels to some nice shiny new discs and bolts. I've heard good reports about the Brembo discs being a good upgrade.

Like you, I'm just planning to use a bit of threaded bar to install the needle roller bearing. I already have a set of bush and bearing drifts I can use with the threaded bar.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2020, 01:09:51 pm by teecee90 »
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 06 February 2020, 08:27:18 pm »
Fitting the needle roller bearing didn't go well :'( . The length of studding plan failed. I'd left the bearing overnight in the freezer, which I was not totally happy about, but half expected it to drop in after heating the hub. Can't be sure how much stress I put on it trying to press it in, so have ordered a replacement to be on the safeside.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 07 February 2020, 07:34:35 pm »
It gets worse. Whilst waiting for a replacement needle roller, I thought I might as well fit the roller in the disc side seeing as it was in the freezer. That turned out to be the wrong size, having been sent a sprocket carrier bearing in error.(a 62 28 rather than a 60 28). Managed to catch Mark before he shut, so a replacement should be in the post. Received the needle bearing today, just got to organise a press as can't face the risk of it going bandy again.

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 08 February 2020, 09:22:29 am »
What went wrong exactly?
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 09 February 2020, 06:58:42 pm »
What went wrong exactly?
I I was using a proper sized mandrel to support the needle bearing, a length of studding through the mandrel, and a length of bar across the disc side. Instead of it going to plan as I tightened up the nut on one end of the studding, unbeknown to me as I was concentrating on the progress of the bearing, all I succeeded in doing was bending the bar which caused the bearing to start to go in crabbed. I think I need a mandrel to locate in the disc side to ensure a perfectly straight pull when the studding is tightened. Quite possibly the bearing is ok, but being a bit "precious" about getting things correct, I've bought another bearing. Not cheap at £11 a pop, but when it is eventually installed, I 'll have peace of mind that all is ok.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 12 February 2020, 10:57:13 am »
At last, replacement needle roller is in. Still a struggle after leaving in the freezer overnight and heating the housing. Never having fitted this type of bearing in a rear wheel before, I was surprised how much spanner  effort was required on the studding nut, to wind it in. Roller is in the otherside, so just the spacer tube and disc to go back on, then back to the tyre shop for balancing. Phew :)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 14 February 2020, 06:38:56 pm »
Nothing’s gone easy on this project. The tyre shop gave me my wheels with a ton of weights on them. I discovered then that the dots on the tyres hadn’t been lined up with the valve, and to cap it all, their dynamic balancer machine was faulty. Got my money back for the balancing ,but then got stiffed 20 quid for balancing at another tyre place because I hadn’t bought the tyres from them. Front wheel’s back in the bike and one caliper’s been overhauled. All should be finished tomorrow.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 14 February 2020, 07:06:58 pm »
jesus mate, thats unlucky. I change me own tyres, and balance em with a cradle thingy and spindles I got off the internet, and a box of weights I got from a motor factors. not for any other reason than tyre places invariably foc up. I have to google which colour dot is away from the valve or against it every time coz I forget, a lot of tyre places just disregard it. getting em off used to be the worst, but now I run a stanley knife around the middle (it cuts between the steel plies) and they come off easy in two pieces. me old vice breaks the bead, but its right on ots limit, im guessing a 200 or even a 190 wouldn't fit in. re balancing, I never bother with the rear, I doubt at my old age I can feel the difference between a balanced or unbalanced rear. front is crucial thou, obviously. good luck with the rest of it robbo, it'll all be worth it once spring gets here mate :) 

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 14 February 2020, 07:48:31 pm »
Yep agree Mr.Ogri, the rear is no doubt a waste of time, but I suppose it's become a habit that I can't break. Was eyeing up an Abba wheel bancing rig at the Excel show, but taking my age into account, I just won't get enough use out of one. I'll have to make sure my tools are gone before me, as my kids will just skip the lot :eek :eek :lol .

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 17 February 2020, 07:35:52 pm »
At last. Bike's back on its wheels. Calipers overhauled and fresh pads in the rear. Started on the button, so just the exup to overhaul tomorrow and an oil and filter change when they arrive. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, much appreciated as always :thumbup .

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 17 February 2020, 08:08:59 pm »
lookin all ship shape and shiny mate!

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike: