Date: 25-04-24  Time: 14:52 pm

Author Topic: another exup question  (Read 1530 times)

jimmyjimjims

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
another exup question
« on: 04 November 2014, 03:00:08 pm »
Ha ld my b8ke a month or so now and after making a few alterations she's starting to feel like my bike.

When i first got it i noticed tge bottom end "flat spot" associated with exup woes and after a minute or 2 inspecting things it became apparent the previous owner had disconnected the cables and locked the exup fully open.

I checked everything was there and ok and couldn't figure out why he would have disconnected it so i reconnected everyth8ng and it became instantly apparent the exup RATTLE!!!

obviously the bush on the other side has gone but my question is, is there a service kit available for the exup including the bushing?

Any input greatly received :)

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
Re: another exup question
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2014, 04:01:38 pm »
I have never seen the little bush on the valve wear, It'd be a first in my experience. I'd pull the valve out and inspect it first, hopefully the bolts won't be too badly corroded and you'll get them out without resorting to drilling out broken bolts.
Once you get the valve apart clean everything to remove corrosion and dirt, the valve should rotate easily in the little side plate. If not keep cleaning until it does, apply anti seize compound to the valve shaft and assemble. With the valve bolted in place it should turn easily by finger pressure only, connect up the pulley and check the cable adjustment.
It sounds to me as though the valve may already be free if you can hear a rattle, it might just be a case of lubing everything to quiet down the rattle.
Jim.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2014, 04:22:03 pm »
A big wodge of coppaslip on both ends will stop that rattle?

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2014, 11:52:38 am »
Usual cause is taht the cables are a little too loose. Try adjusting the cables so that  they have the correct tension, and if it still rattles too much for your taste, adjust the cables so the tension remains the same but the valve is held very slighty open at its minimum (closed) position (ie loosen the one that closes it and tighten the one that opens it).

wheelywill

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - yamaha rd 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2014, 08:11:00 pm »
Hi I had the same prob there is another bush at the back of the collector box and it does wear and you can buy just the bush but I do now its expensive I managed to get one of a member but there is someone who is a member of this site who offered to make me one but a cant remember his name sorry.