Date: 25-04-24  Time: 21:37 pm

Author Topic: Breakdown recovery during Covid-19 restrictions  (Read 1105 times)

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
Breakdown recovery during Covid-19 restrictions
« on: 21 June 2020, 11:42:43 am »
Living in Wales I have not been able to ride further than five miles from home during the lockdown. The First Minister has announced that from Monday July 6th unrestricted travel will be allowed, so long as the Covid-19 situation does not deteriorate. In the letters section of MCN this week a contributor has stated that he had a puncture 250 miles from home and called out the AA. Fortunately the AA operative was able to fix the puncture but stated that had it not been repairable he could have taken the bike to a chosen destination but not the rider. The rider cannot get in the cab of either the van or a low loader, so where is the bike taken, and of course the rider is left stranded miles from home. Some breakdown services talk of taxis and hire cars but as a non driver this is not an option for me. 99% of my riding is done alone, so I can't even ride pillion to get home. I had not thought about the issue until I read the letter, but as things stand I wont feel comfortable riding again from July 6th. The prospect of being stranded is a real worry.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Re: Breakdown recovery during Covid-19 restrictions
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2020, 11:53:30 am »
I wouldn’t worry about it.
I broke down Tuesday night on my way to work in my car at Heathrow airport.
I just made it to work and completed my shift then called recovery in the morning.
Turned out the alternator was shot so the recovered my car back to my house and arranged me a taxi which came around 25 minutes after my car had gone.
I passed my car on the M25 and shortly after being dropped off at home my car was delivered to my door.
The only thing you have to watch out for is depending on your breakdown cover some will only recover you a certain radius.
Worth checking this and changing your cover if that’s the case .

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2020, 12:03:56 pm »
Thanks dazza. I'm not sure if the AA would pay for a taxi if I'm 80 miles from home. It's not very clear. My breakdown cover distance is unlimited using the relay service. I've sent a message to the AA and I'm awaiting a reply.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2020, 12:39:37 pm »
I believe it was the AA that recovered me, or the the RAC......Or was it Green Flag .... My memories shit  :lol
But anyway due to the current Covid restrictions they have to protect their own employees and by the same token can't leave you stranded.
I was around 80 miles from home and they picked up the tab so again, I wouldn't sweat it although it's always worth checking for peace of mind.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2020, 12:56:27 pm »
Thanks dazza. Great stuff, much appreciated. I shall look forward to getting out again from the 6th July, fingers crossed !

Fazian

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2020, 05:16:57 pm »
Bloody hell I never gave this a second thought. Glad you mentioned it as I have no breakdown cover at all apart from the cover I have with Ford for my van  :eek

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2020, 06:17:38 pm »
I didn't think about it either, until I read the letter in this weeks MCN. Hopefully the AA will pay for a taxi to get me home if the worst happens !   :)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2020, 09:52:57 pm »
I'm not sure if the AA would pay for a taxi if I'm 80 miles from home.

A couple of years ago whilst on holiday in North Devon near Barstaple, I broke down near Bude.

Fortunately I'd included Onward Travel in my RAC cover, so the driver gave me a lift back to the campsite, then they paid for a taxi to take me back to where the bike was to get it recovered back to Portsmouth.

Had I not had the Onward Travel cover, the taxis alone would have cost about £150!!